12x42 NL vs 12x50 EL: Low light differences

6.5x284

WKR
With more 12x NL making their way into everyone’s hands, I’m curious on how you find the differences between the 12x NL vs 12x EL at low light. Does the 50mm on the EL give a few more glassable minutes over the 42mm of the NL? Is it a wash with slightly better transmission of the NL?

I have the 8x NL and 12x NL, but haven’t gotten to look side by side with a 12x50 EL to compare for strictly low light.

Curious if the 12x50 EL is still king of dusk/dawn. I’ve only seen a couple people give feedback between the two. Anyone else have feedback specifically with lowlight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can't offer first hand feedback, but I have read a ton of reviews and comments mostly here on Rokslide.

My conclusion (from reading) was that knowledgeable folks with experience with both indicate better light gathering with the 50's. Apparently the difference is measured in minutes of additional use at dawn and dusk - I think less than 10. This view seems to be consistently held.

Same result based on spec comparison.

My experience with alpha binos includes an ancient pair of 10x42 SLC's and new pair of 12x42 NL's. At one time I had a pair of SW Poro prism 10x50's. I loved viewing with those massive 10x50 binos, but hated the size and weight. About 30 years ago SW swapped them out on warranty for the SLC's. I prefer the SLC's based on size and weight (backpack hunting at 10,000 feet) but I always felt that the older 50 mm porro prism design had superior image quality. I never had the opportunity to test them side by side, but I immediately felt like I gave up "something" when I switched to the 10x42's.

In speaking with SW recently they suggested that the simple fact of having a 50 mm objective improves the overall visual clarity - vs. a smaller objective, and that my gut feel that the old Porro prism binos' had a better viewing experience was probably accurate (vs my old non-hd SLC's). That wasn't your question exactly, but thought you might appreciate the perspective.

Personally, due to my style of hunting, I put less value on first and last light glassing, but I put a lot of value on image quality and I have a biased towards smaller form factor and lower weight. Despite my penchant for the smaller form factor and lower weight of the 42's, I sometimes find myself thinking that perhaps better image quality is a good reason to go with 50's.

I don't believe that NL's are available in 50's yet, so the comparison on image quality (not your question, I know) might be the 50 EL's vs the 42 NL's. That comparison would be interesting to hear about from those who own both.

I think when it comes to your original question - pure light gathering - the question is settled - the EL 50's win by a nose (based on what I've read on Rokslide and elsewhere).

OP
6.5x284

6.5x284

WKR
At low light, dropping to a lower magnification makes a big difference to me.
I'm using 8x42 nl

Yes, I have both the 8x and 12x NL and the 8x I can see elk probably close to 10 minutes before the 12x. Huge difference. I hunt with the 8x 99% of the time and my 12x is used instead of taking both 8x and 15x on specific hunts like the unlimiteds for example.

I should time it one year. I was shocked the first time how long it took for my 12x to catch up to the 8x at first light.

KenLee

WKR
Yes, I have both the 8x and 12x NL and the 8x I can see elk probably close to 10 minutes before the 12x. Huge difference. I hunt with the 8x 99% of the time and my 12x is used instead of taking both 8x and 15x on specific hunts like the unlimiteds for example.

I should time it one year. I was shocked the first time how long it took for my 12x to catch up to the 8x at first light.

8x also doesn't show shaking like a 10x or 12x.

ultraedge

FNG
I had both EL 12's and NL 12's at the same time. I watched deer in the last hour of daylight for a month trying to decide which was the best. To my eyes the NL's had a slight advantage in brightness and detail. The NL's had a large advantage in weight, ergonomics, and diopter adjustment. I kept the NL's and have no regrets.

I have an 8x32 EL. It’s views are as bright as any other 8x32 in “low light, “ but noticeably less bright than my 8x42, which is noticeably less bright than my 10x50, which is noticeably less bright than my 7x50 when looking through my 70 something eyes.

To me, “low light” is after sunset or before sunrise though. Otherwise, I don’t notice much difference In brightness between these four high quality binoculars.

Sled

WKR
I've wondered the same for a while. For me it's the 8x vs 10x FOV advantage the NL has over the EL. I also prefer the ergonomics of the NL. I've been toying with the idea of a 32mm vs 42mm for size and weight savings. I would assume the larger objective might be worth an extra 5 minutes of light. Likewise the lower magnification would likely do the same.