12x50 EL vs low-cost spotting scope?

PHo

WKR
I have a pair of 12x50 ELs that I’m using to glass up mule deer out west and I also carry 8x on my chest. In this previous season I was glassing out to nearly two miles out and I’m wondering if I could be better served with a spotter to go with my 8x instead. Problem is I can only afford a lower cost spotter, which I’ve narrowed down to either the Maven CS.1 or the Athlon Ares 15-45x65. I’ve been told that a high quality pair of binos, like my 12x, is gonna be better than a low end spotter. Do any of you with experience think that one of these spotters will help or am I better off just continuing to use the 12x and saving my money?

A high quality pair of binos, like your 12x, is gonna be better than a low end anything, especially a spotter. That being said, a mid range spotter like a leupold GR 12-40x can be a great addition. High mag and low quality is the worst combo.

BluMtn

WKR
I would stick to the 12's. Those are my carry bino's for 90% of my mule deer hunting with the other 10% with my Kowa for glassing, I use the spotter for final inspection on horns to see if I want to cover the ground to get a closer look. 100% 12's when I am hunting elk.

Reactions: PHo

Wapack

FNG
Good deal on these gen 1 razors right now. No swaro, there great for 750 though.

Last edited:

Hoodie

WKR
Binos don´t replace a spotter for me. Even 15x56. I always hear guys say the spotter is just to evaluate what you´ve found with your binos. Not for me. My spotter is what I´m looking through mid-day for bedded deer.

I feel like 12x binos are only worth having if you can hand-hold them well enough that you don´t need a second binocular. I think 10x42 and a 65mm spotter (even a mid-range spotter) is way more versatile than 8x and 12x binos. Different strokes for different folks though.

OP
P

PHo

WKR
I’m definitely gonna keep the 12x. I was just wondering if it’d be worth it to pickup an affordable spotter. Looks like there are a few different opinions. I’ve always heard and read that binos are what find game and spotters are used to evaluate game, but I guess that’s not always the case. I suppose I’m just gonna have to try it to find out how I want to use a spotter. Thanks for the replies.

Binos don´t replace a spotter for me. Even 15x56. I always hear guys say the spotter is just to evaluate what you´ve found with your binos. Not for me. My spotter is what I´m looking through mid-day for bedded deer.

I feel like 12x binos are only worth having if you can hand-hold them well enough that you don´t need a second binocular. I think 10x42 and a 65mm spotter (even a mid-range spotter) is way more versatile than 8x and 12x binos. Different strokes for different folks though.
Just for grins I tried doing this the other day with my STX. How do you deal with your other eye? Wear a patch?

BluMtn

WKR
I will throw this in. Where my spotter gets really used is in my pickup. I spend a lot of time on county roads and wheat fields glassing for animals in the out ground and canyons during the year. Also looking for Elk and sheds in the spring. Otherwise I would probably not own an alfa spotter. So basically you need to look at how much you would honestly use a spotter compared to your binos. And I still use my binos in these circumstances to find what I am looking for before I break the spotter out.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re keeping the binos I would recommend a spotter of some kind for sure. A spotter is real useful for me elk hunting.

Hoodie

WKR
Just for grins I tried doing this the other day with my STX. How do you deal with your other eye? Wear a patch?

Yeah. I pretty much always use a patch if I´m actually scanning with the spotter.

I love 15x56 and I´ve been really tempted to try the Maven 18x. There´s no doubt they´re more user friendly and the FOV is a plus too. But I know they don´t replace the higher magnification of a scope for me.

I could never rationalize buying a BTX but I have to assume it´s the best option.