13 year old girl day pack / that will grow with her . . . need suggestions

c670809

FNG
Let me say thanks in advance for your advice.

My daughter is interested in hunting this year. We'll be putting in for Mule deer, Antelope and Elk. She's not too interested in doing the overnight thing yet so I'm looking for a good day pack that will also be able to handle a little weight if we kill something. The reality is, in our area without hiking in, we probably won't kill anything. This is more about spending time together. I want her experience to be as comfortable as possible.

She's 5 foot 3 and weighs 90 lbs. She is in great shape for a 13 year old.

I don't mind spending the money if needed. I have a couple of Kifaru packs and love the discontinued ultralight model. I have the larger one and would buy her the smaller if they still made it. I would like to find a pack that she can continue to use for many years to come. I would rather have larger than smaller but since it is a day pack, we don't need 7000 ci. However, I want her to carry enough to be self sufficient should we need to spend the night. I lean toward Kifaru because of the quality and the gun bearer. However, I'm not stuck on them if there is a better option.

Thank your for your suggestions and feel free to ask for more information if it is needed.

Matt

curt514

FNG
Gregory offers youth packs that have extendable torso sizes from 13 to 18 inches. Good internal frame packs that she could still grow with. I think they are rated for 40lbs but if she is only 90lbs then that would still be a haul for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmperorMA

WKR
Mystery Ranch Women’s Pintler.

Great daypack size, Overload Shelf if she needs to help haul meat, and big enough to function as an overnight pack, if necessary.

bcimport

WKR
I would recommend something from one of the mountaineering brands that has stays in it. Even if she’s in great shape she shouldn’t be asked to carry more than maybe 40# and those packs are more than capable of that, very adjustable and light right out of the gate.

I would recommend something from one of the mountaineering brands that has stays in it. Even if she’s in great shape she shouldn’t be asked to carry more than maybe 40# and those packs are more than capable of that, very adjustable and light right out of the gate.

I would tend to go this way also. Osprey seems to have the womens market pretty well dialed from what I've seen. Lots of adjustment in all of their packs, and at 13 and growing the ability to adjust fit is likely to be more important than things like frame stiffness right now.

locofife

FNG
If you're really interested in Kifaru, you might want to look at the Nomad 2. I'm planning on buying one for myself in the near future. Very adaptable. It would work well as a day pack and she could use it as a longer trip pack later on.

I went with a Stone Glacier small belt Krux/Solo for my sons first pack when he was 12 and about 4” 10” and 80 lbs. He’s 16 now (5’6”, 110 lbs), and continues to use the same frame, but we’ve switched up the bags several times depending on the type of hunt we’re doing. He’s used it to pack out multiple deer, a goat, a moose, and a sheep so far, and it’s worked out very well for him.

Gregory offers youth packs that have extendable torso sizes from 13 to 18 inches. Good internal frame packs that she could still grow with. I think they are rated for 40lbs but if she is only 90lbs then that would still be a haul for her.

I second the Gregory recommendation. We went through about 8 packs (kifaru, exo, stoneglacier, kuiu, mystery ranch, Sitka, osprey, and arcteryx , before ending on the Gregory. A couple stand out features....

Actually cut and contoured for a woman’s build (curved and shorter shoulder straps and hip belt that goes SMALL! Without running out of space.
Holds about 30-50lbs very well
Great ergonomics
Overbuilt for the category they are in, yet light.
Way cheaper than a similar hunting pack with many included items (included water carriers, pockets, some include an internal day bag, rain cover, etc.
customizable belt and straps.
Lashing points for weapons

For the price, you can have a bag that fits her ideal, and upgrade again when she outgrows, and still spend less money upfront.

uteranga

FNG
Osprey makes some interesting stuff too, durable, with a nice load handling, relatively lightweight, in women's version (that can make a real difference in comfort according to my wife).
The all around look can be interesting if the pack will also be used for other stuff than just hunting (urban travels and so on)
Also, you should specify a little bit more about how much weight it needs to handle and the volume required, backpack is usually what you buy in the end, after you already choose all your other gear.
For daypack, I use either a 15l or a 40l for the same activities, but at different time of the year, or depending on the sturdiness of the gear required.
Going for the best is fine, but there are multiple different ways to go

OP
C

c670809

FNG
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the options. You've given me several things to look at and research.

I don't want her to have to carry too much but I think 40l is a good area to be around. It will likely be pretty cold when we're out and the ability to carry enough clothes to keep her comfortable is important.

I'm pretty sure she could carry 40lbs but I would like to keep is closer to 25 or 30 if we get something. With just day items I image she'll be around 10 lbs.

Thanks again!
Matt

uteranga

FNG
I can recommend you Deuter too, no particular model, there's plenty of them, but I used to have one when I was younger, this thing went through a lot and it took ages to seem slightly used, awesome comfort too even under heavy load, was still usable after more than 10 years of rough work.
They're quite a reference in Europe, I can only advise you to give it a look.

Last edited:

Bulldawg

WKR
I'm pretty sure she could carry 40lbs but I would like to keep is closer to 25 or 30 if we get something. With just day items I image she'll be around 10 lbs.

She's 90 pounds,, and she's 13, still developing and growing, I would avoid everything in my power to avoid overloading her because it can be very damaging to her. Also, putting 40 pounds in her pack would be like putting 100 in yours, yeah you can carry it but it sucks and isn't good for you, but your an adult and fully developed with years of muscular development and growth, for a child yes she can carry it but it could be damaging if she does it too much.

My recommendation is a jansport backpack, no need to break the bank on a pack, just get something she can carry a coat a sandwich and some water and you'll be good to go.

Osprey makes some interesting stuff too, durable, with a nice load handling, relatively lightweight, in women's version (that can make a real difference in comfort according to my wife).
The all around look can be interesting if the pack will also be used for other stuff than just hunting (urban travels and so on)
Also, you should specify a little bit more about how much weight it needs to handle and the volume required, backpack is usually what you buy in the end, after you already choose all your other gear.
For daypack, I use either a 15l or a 40l for the same activities, but at different time of the year, or depending on the sturdiness of the gear required.
Going for the best is fine, but there are multiple different ways to go

I would go one further and say what your
She's 90 pounds,, and she's 13, still developing and growing, I would avoid everything in my power to avoid overloading her because it can be very damaging to her. Also, putting 40 pounds in her pack would be like putting 100 in yours, yeah you can carry it but it sucks and isn't good for you, but your an adult and fully developed with years of muscular development and growth, for a child yes she can carry it but it could be damaging if she does it too much.

My recommendation is a jansport backpack, no need to break the bank on a pack, just get something she can carry a coat a sandwich and some water and you'll be good to go.

This is the best advice on here. Carry her weight for her and have her carry the kill kit and snacks. Her joints will thank ya

Btaylor

WKR
I got my wife one of the "She" brand packs at Bass Pro. It has nice straps and waist belt and plenty of capacity to carry day trip gear and bring some meat out if needed.

uteranga

FNG
I triple the recommendation about not letting her carry too much.
One third of your total weight is considered to be the maximum that you should carry, not being too uncomfortable, as an adult.
Not feeling any particular pain at the moment doesn't mean it's not in fact hurting you.

For young teenagers I would say no more than one fifth of their weight maximum, the less they carry, the better it is (same for the adults though).
Personally I consider that my comfort pack weight is when I can jump from rock to rock all day long, climb and run from times to times almost like if it wasn't here, and it's around 15pounds for me (but damn hard not to get above)
Plus, having to put back an uncomfortable and heavy backpack on sore shoulders, sore waist, and sore back, is quite an effective way to distaste someone from walking with a pack.

Also, choose a bag with a good frame and take the time to try them for real to see if the weight is well on the waist and not on the shoulders.

I got a Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 25 for my 11 year old son.
Fairly adjustable, comfortable, has decent organization, reasonable cost (I paid $170 at Scheels) plus easy resale if she doesn’t like it.

I’m right there with the others about not overloading her.