133 grain .25-06 COAL?

I had a 1:7 25-06 build on a tikka. At the time, blackjack was the only game in town. I could not reach the lands (SAAMI spec chamber). Also could not find acceptable accuracy with those bullets and eventually pulled the barrel. Not sure if being closer to the lands would have helped or not but I had no interest in a single shot.

If you “need” 3000fps I would recommend 25-284. My PBB tikka prefit shot very well at 3015fps using h1000.

Currently settled on 25 creedmoor shooting 2940. Gives up essentially nothing in the velocity department, less recoil and less muzzle blast. Plus you could put it in the KRG bravo which you seem interested in. I am shooting 26” barrels however. 2940fps gives me plenty of retained velocity for reasonable hunting distances.
I think I can reach the lands on my oem Tikka 25-06 with 110 eldxs, what am I missing?

I think what @goathunter and I are both wondering is what was your issue with the longer bullet? Did you not have enough magazine space for the long bullets? It seems counter intuitive that you couldn't reach the lands with the longer bullets. Apologies for my newb confusion.
After further thought, I'm thinking there is so much length in front of the ogive, the ogive can't reach the lands at magazine length? I don't shoot the super long bullets so just a guess.

I think what @goathunter and I are both wondering is what was your issue with the longer bullet? Did you not have enough magazine space for the long bullets? It seems counter intuitive that you couldn't reach the lands with the longer bullets. Apologies for my newb confusion.
Sorry, you cannot reach the lands and be able to fit the cartridge in the magazine.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Again, total newb question here, but so what if you can't get the bullet to engage the lands? Is this absolutely necessary in a hunting rifle that is not necessarily built around a single bullet like a bench rest gun? In other words, if I go with a custom 1:7 prefit and want to shoot factory 95 NBT on up to handloaded 134 Hornady ELD-M, isn't it likely that some of the bullets won't contact the lands based on their respective COAL?

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Last edited:

Gila

WKR
Again, total newb question here, but so what if you can't get the bullet to engage the lands? Is this absolutely necessary in a hunting rifle that is not necessarily built around a single bullet like a bench rest gun? In other words, if I go with a custom 1:7 prefit and want to shoot factory 95 NBT on up to handloaded 134 Hornady ELD-M, isn't it likely that some of the bullets won't contact the lands based on their respective COAL?
If you want to wring the best performance out of a Berger bullet, this is what they recommend:

“The following has been verified by numerous shooters in many rifles using bullets of different calibers and weights. It is consistent for all VLD bullets. What has been discovered is that VLD bullets shoot best when loaded to a COAL that puts the bullet in a “sweet spot”. This sweet spot is a band .030 to .040 wide and is located anywhere between jamming the bullets into the lands and .150 jump off the lands.”

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
If you want to wring the best performance out of a Berger bullet, this is what they recommend:

“The following has been verified by numerous shooters in many rifles using bullets of different calibers and weights. It is consistent for all VLD bullets. What has been discovered is that VLD bullets shoot best when loaded to a COAL that puts the bullet in a “sweet spot”. This sweet spot is a band .030 to .040 wide and is located anywhere between jamming the bullets into the lands and .150 jump off the lands.”

Thank you sir, and now that I found bottom metal and mags to accomodate the longer .25-06 bullets, shouldn't be a problem.

How are you guys finding the lands with your rifles? OAL gauge method or something else?

Gila

WKR
Thank you sir, and now that I found bottom metal and mags to accomodate the longer .25-06 bullets, shouldn't be a problem.

How are you guys finding the lands with your rifles? OAL gauge method or something else?
Just make sure you back off neck tension a little and lube the bullet so it won’t stick in the lands.