14,757'

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
Just returned from my Kyrgyzstan Marco Polo hunt. High elevations with rams encountered each day. Got a 10 year old ram at end of fourth day I'm very pleased with. Horses and hiking. 442 yard shot using Proof Research Terminus .300WM shooting Berger 185 Classic Hunters under a Swarovski x5i 5-25X. An experience I'm very happy to have achieved.

2five7

WKR
That looks amazing! That hunt is #1 on my all time bucket list, has been for 30 years since I first learned about the Marco Polo is a hunting magazine when I was a kid.

Congrats!

You should post some more pics of your trip and ram if you can. Looks like a once in a lifetime trip that most people, myself included, can only dream about.

IdahoElk

WKR
Awesome animal! Please tell us about the journey getting to such a remote spot. Did you stay in a camp or remote hut? what were the guides like?

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for posting. I’d like more details as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
dukxdog

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
I bought this hunt at the Idaho Sheep convention in 2018. I was the only bidder but it did have a minimum.

I got my dates reserved for the hunt. I booked my flights on my own which worked out fine.
Flew out 10/9 at 4pm then arrived 12 time zones away 10/11 at 5:30am. Long trip but I've traveled long distance for hunts before. I've figured out how not to be jet lagged when I arrive so ready to go.

We drove about 9 hours to the hunt area south of Issyk-Kul which is a huge saline lake in Kyrz.

Camp elevation was 12,000'. Camp was comfortable consisting of trailers set up for dining and sleeping. I had requested to spike out but that didn't end up happening which wasn't a big deal. I try to go with the flow not being pushy to change their program.

We rode horses the first two days then hiked on foot up canyons for two days climbing in elevation. I saw good rams each day and really desired an older ram for my priority.

We spotted a group of 12 rams bedded on a flat outcrop around 3pm. Plan was to take the old one when they got up to feed which turned out to be like 5:30pm. Rangefinder said 442 yards with a 20 degree incline. Dialed my scope to 375 yards hitting him center shoulder with 185gr Berger Classic hunter going 3185fps. That bullet flattened him right out and never even twitched.

Photos taken then caped the ram. Carried out the head in the dark to the vehicle. Got back to camp late. They covered the carcass with cloth, clothing and rocks so wolves and birds wouldn't get to it. Their equipment is very basic. Grain sacks are used to pack meat by just slinging them over shoulder. No back packs or day packs.

The horses were tough. I wouldn't want to be a Kyrg horse. They just keep them going without pause. I've hunted and guided with horses since I was a kid. The horses were gentle and did what required. Saddles are basic yet comfortable for long hours riding.

Food was good and better than expected. Good vegetable salads, eggs, salami, cheese, sardines, Yak roast, breads, jams, pickles, dried fruits, nuts, tea, coke, beer, vodka, cognac, etc.

This is a hunt I definitely recommend you do if you like mountain hunting. The people are great. The experience is spectacular and exotic. This was my 81st sheep hunt. Elevation was the highest I've hunted at but it really wasn't grueling. I didn't bring trekking poles but would the next time as I didn't know we would walk valleys as we did.

My 1000gr Thinsulate boots I brought were Cabela's. Dang things lost their soles the first day out. This was a surprise making for difficult hiking in the snow and rocks. I wore them the next day then was able to use a pair of boots left by a previous hunter. That really saved me. I'm 63 now so poor boots are a big disadvantage. I've ALWAYS made good boots a priority so I couldn't believe that these things came apart.

I practiced shooting my rifle out to 650 yards. I'm not a practicing long distance hunter as I usually l shoot within 300 yards. I've killed incidental animals out to 500 yards before but don't look for long shots as seem to be common place these days. I try to make clean kills with a shot or two. I knew this hunt often has one shooting longer than usual. I set 600 yards as my limit this time but was glad to have a good shot at lots less.

If you have any specific questions just ask.

Thanks for looking at my hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_2158.jpg
    IMG_2158.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2159.jpg
    IMG_2159.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2154.JPG
    IMG_2154.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2171.JPG
    IMG_2171.JPG
    356.5 KB · Views: 151
Sounds like quite the experience. I had to reread the part about 81 sheep hunts. That is unreal. I bet I could have a good time with a 6 pack of beer listening to you tell stories for hours upon hours. The camp looks much nicer than I would have imagined. Congrats on a successful hunt

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
That is pathetic about your boots. I probably would have blown a gasket. I always try to wear a pair and pack a pair for non-backpack hunts.

Mt Al

WKR
(copying others) 81st sheep hunt?!? Very cool. Honestly, when's your book coming out? With all those hunts done you've got to have a wealth of knowledge and insight we'd all love to read about.

Congratulations on the hunt and thank you for sharing. Always dreamed about that and a Mongolian Ibex!!