To start off, this hunt is...
- Stone Sheep Northern BC
- Resident DIY
- Solo
- First half of August
- 15+ Mile Walk In
- Nutrition and physical fitness is awesome and dialed
- I've only done backpack style hunting for 10+ years now

I'm pretty fanatical on the gear side and trying to keep it lightweight, especially during my elk hunts. I run a Silex w/ my trekking poles, 4 stakes, a DCF floor, NeoAir X-Therm Pad Regular, and a Katabatic 15deg quilt with an S2S pillow. These are 3-day adventures that end up back at the truck to re-supply. Bailing is easy if problems arise. The level of discomfort is fine as I know I can hit up base camp for a good night's rest. I've done 10-day elk trips with buddies but had a DCF Cimm w/ Stove, optics, and other pieces were split.

Now I'm onto my first 14-day hunt with 0 chance of resupply and I'm doing it by myself. I honestly wouldn't have it any other way. I thoroughly enjoy solo hunting. I'm sure in the future partners will come to share the load but for now, the solitude it provides brings me peace. I have mentors teaching me tactics, aging, reviewing maps I present, etc... I feel confident that come August I'll have as much knowledge as I can gather without real practical experience.

Finding, for me, a level of comfort to stay on the mountain solo for this amount of time, stay safe from mountain weather, and keep the bugs at bay.

Any thoughts from the collective are appreciated!

== Update 1 ==
A number of suggestions have been made, I've made quite a few cuts based on recommendations which are denoted at the bottom under "Changes" a 0 weight and the actual weight in the description. This is a way to catalog the changes this has gone through with help from everyone.

- Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT - 99.3oz, moved to the Hilleberg Enan, 57oz savings
- WM Kodiak M 0F - 44.1oz, moved to a 30 degree WM bag 20oz savings
- S2S Ether Light XT Extreme - 33.5oz, moved to the Ether Light XT R3.1 pad 11.5oz savings
- Amazon Kindle - 6.4oz, gone
- Pack, Cartridge Holder and Crib Load - 7.5oz, gone
- Helinox Chair Zero - 17.7oz, gone, using the Kuiu glassing pad that has worked well for me
- S2S Ultra-Sil Compression Dry Sack M - 3.2oz, gone, just going to use a regular stuff sack for my sleeping pad and pray it doesn't get anymore wet
- Multiple clothing items eliminated

== Update 2 ==
There are a few resounding areas folks are saying to cut and they're on my thought list right now or have a reason as to why I'm not changing.

- Long Johns 9.2oz and Puffy Pants 16.1oz, are either needed or is one needed? Pretty much a resounding, don't bring both
- The solar panel and battery debate. Still deciding here. I need charging ability but need to do my research as to how much. More to come...
- Digiscoping adapter, extremely important for aging sheep. I've had two Phone Skopes fall apart on me, I hate them to be honest but they are so light. More thought is going into this as the Novagrade Double Grip pushes that scale.
- Sleeping pad, this is an item I can not go without a 4" pad, I have screws in my leg that poke out and a rib protrusion! A 2.5" pad no longer allows me to sleep unfortunately.
- Reactor, it's a personal item of mine that has been on every backpacking trip and hunt with me since I started. Maybe after I do the trip and get hooked I'll be looking at 3oz stoves.
- The tripod at 48oz includes the head, Sirui VA-5, a Slik 642, and the Outdoorsman's binocular adapter. I need pan/tilt and I can't afford an Outdoorsmans right now, the cost of getting this to Canada is outrageous. If anyone has an actual recommendation, let me know.
- Binoculars I can't make the spend on these, period. It either has to be NL's or I won't use it. That's just where my eyes are at these days. I'm definitely a snob when it comes to glass. Will 8x32 NL's be in my future? Yeah, they will, just not now.

== Update 3 ==

- Purchased a Phone Skope over the NovaGrade to save 13oz ... this took my phone case off to reduce the weight of the phone as well
- Decided on long Johns, puffy pants out! 16.1oz cut
- I added bug mitigation under gear. I normally always bring bug repellent but added the weight of a net and the weight and the repellent. Also going to use fabric treatment on the gear. I've never used it but worth a try https://www.sawyer.com/products/permethrin-fabric-treatment

== Update 4 ==

- Changed to a Sitka system and not First Lite, I'm enjoying it
- Got rid of the Reactor and replaced it with a Soto Windmaster
- Added a bipod to my rifle

Last edited:

svivian

WKR
What's your day to day weight going to be once you are at base camp. In 14 days I would imagine you will rack up more miles than the 15mi in and out.

Also sleep systems I prefer comfort over weight myself, a couple bad nights of sleep will drain energy. my 10 day pack sits around 52lbs so you are a lot lighter than me. I'm jealous and look forward to a recap of your hunt.

OP
StopMakingSense
As this is my first sheep hunt I'm not 100% on how my day-to-day even looks. Setting out for a day to come back to camp at night is extremely light in my eyes.

I plan on bringing my Grumman down jacket and pants along, Hille tarp, and my WM HotSac VBL bivy in case I need to sleep with a band of rams. It is a great question and I will make a separate list to see what this looks like to leave camp for 18 hours.

jmannas

FNG
Following. My pack is heavier than I’d like to admit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
I saw a couple things that I personally wouldn't take, but it's a personal decision. I would not take the Swaro 1.7 extender, a neck gaiter and I see you've listed the same socks twice. Not a huge weight cut, but it might help. Just my .02.

ljalberta

WKR
It looks like you have some solid gear available to you, and with 10 years of backpacking hunting experience, you know what helps you out on the mountain.

I'll give you my thoughts about what I would change based on your gear list, but keep in mind this is what I've found keeps me out on the mountain. I do similar style hunts, albeit in Alberta. This year it will be a little over 2 weeks backpacking in after the bighorns late August/early September

Tent: That tent is hefty, and would likely be the ticket for late season mountain hunting. Do you have any other options available to you that sit between the Silex and the Nallo? I've never used the Silex, but if it has some extra guy out points, I'd be personally taking it over 6lb tent. I've come to find a decent three season tent can handle the early season trips fairly well. If you get a big dump of snow, it just requires some brushing off, and if there is a serious storm brewing, it might require a little more strategic camping. These events are exception and not the rule though, and most nights, there is zero concern about tent durability and element protection. I'll be using an MSR Hubba 1 (a few models old) this year which weighs in at 2.34lbs and provides me with a nice balance of protection and weight.

Bag: Seems like quite the warm bag for early August - especially if you have a full set of down tops and bottoms already. I would likely be taking the Katabic Quilt and supplementing it by wearing my down top and bottom while sleeping at night if the temperatures drop. That being said, I think if you know that you'll be cold or uncomfortable in the quilt, don't make a compromise here and take whatever is going to ensure you have a good nights sleep. Same rule would apply to the sleeping pads for me.

Compression Sack: Heavy for a sack. I have some sil-nylon ones that weigh 1/3 the weight or less. DCF stuff sacks can also help you shed ounces, although I am not sure about their long term durability. Look to some of the ultralight backpacking companies for options.

Tarp and Bivy: I wouldn't take these personally, but I have friends I hunt with who think leaving these behind is as dumb as leaving TP behind. I figure that's what my rain gear is for. If there's a ram I want to camp on overnight and its dumping rain, I would likely just pull back to my tent and try to get on them again the next morning.

Stove: There are lighter stoves, especially if you can use it as a mug as well, but maybe not more efficient ones. I would suggest taking an 8oz and a 4oz of the gas instead of the 16oz. I do that when I'm doing 16+days, but of course, this depends on how much water you boil.

Pack: I would ditch the crib and cartridge pouch. The ounces all add up, and neither of these are needed.

Swaro 1.7 Mag Extender: I don't hunt sheep in BC and I'm not counting annuli, so I wouldn't be taking this. I also know a good number of sheep hunters who do look and count annuli and don't carrying mag extenders. I'm not sure it's worth it, but I don't have the experience to comment any further.

Phone Adaptor: Phone adaptors are a huge help for assisting in deterring if a sheep is legal. That being said, are there any lighter options out there?

FL 250 Kiln Long John: I wouldn't bring these. You are already bringing down pants, which provide a substantially greater degree of warmth. I used to sleep in base layers, but now I just crawl into my bag every night in my hunting clothes.

Camp Shoes: I flip flop on these. Some years I bring them, some years I don't. They certainly do help with river crossings, but I no longer bring them if I don't have a substantial amount of crossings.

Possible Addition: I noticed you have wool gloves. If the weather is going to be quite wet, it can be worth it to bring either some waterproof gloves, or a lightweight waterproof shell to slip over your wool gloves.

Batteries/Chargers: I'm guessing that you do a lot of charging. If you don't you could look into ditching the panel and small battery pack and moving to a single battery pack with something like 20,000mah for about 11ish oz.

Kindle: I wouldn't bring it. I find reading material is nice when the days are shorter and the nights are longer. I'd put a book or two on your phone since you're bringing it anyways for if you are socked in for an extended period of time.

Multitool: I know guys who like to bring these. I prefer to have my knife, and then a small allen key for my scope rings.

I’ve never hunted Stone but I have hunted Dall and Mountain Goat in AK during the same time of year.

I think you could cut a significant amount of weight in your shelter/sleep setup. A 20° - 30° sleeping bag should be plenty warm. That tent is incredibly heavy. Add a lighter tent and leave the tarp & Bivvy home or keep the Bivvy sack and bring the tarp with no tent. You have lots of backpacking experience so take that advice or leave it. It’s just what I’d do.

I’d also consider going to a lower magnification 50mm spotter and leaving the 1.7 extender at home. Mirage will probably make the higher magnification useless anyway. I wouldn’t bring the chair either, good call. You could possibly save some weight on the tripod by removing some of it or getting a shorter one. Something suitable for glassing from the sit pad.

+1 on ditching the kindle. Put books on the phone. I really like audiobooks. You can rest your eyes and let someone else do the reading. Or you can use your eyes and listen while glassing. It’s also nice to hear a human voice (I hunt solo). There are free apps to check out audiobooks from your library. I use Overdrive. Not sure if that’s available in Canada.

I doubt you’ll need to sharpen your knife on one sheep. Especially if your skinning knife is reserved for the kill and you have a small pocket knife for other stuff. I’d rather have two knives and no sharpener than one knife and a sharpener. This may not save weight, it’s likely a wash. It does add redundancy to a critical tool without adding weight.

All of my clothes for backpacking above 10,000’ weigh under 10 lbs (Lowa Tibet boots included). I bet you could safely and comfortably shave a pound there. Personally I don’t carry insulation or rain gear for my legs. Just base layer and water resistant pants. If my torso, hands and head are warm the rest of me is too. The sit pad keeps my ass warm enough while sitting on cold wet rock and dirt. You may be different.

Seems like a lot of weight in toiletries. Maybe take a hard look at that.

Your camp shoes are pretty heavy at 10 ounces. Amazon sells some cheap slides that weigh 4 ounces and can be worn with socks for warmth or without for water. PM me if you are interested and I’ll help find the ones I bought. Unfortunately they are made in China. I try to support companies that make stuff in the US or in a country that we are good friends with (like Canada!). I couldn’t find an option that weighed so little and let’s me wear socks.

Last edited:
I see a lot of room to cut weight as well! - I’ve done a solo walk in Alaska and was successful- which is the real killer- packing out a sheep solo!!!

My first recommendation is to change your perception of the gear as backpacking kit and to think of your pack as “Survival Gear”

Simple- If you don’t need it to survive then don’t bring it.

You can study the minimalist hikers a la Ueli Steck for guidance. Always double use your gear as well.

Some quick notes as already mentioned- lighter tent- I used a Kuiu 1 p floor less summit. Way lighter. No Bivy I hate the condensation, but I did splurge on a footprint which can be a glassing rain tarp. Your sleeping pad is also a glassing pad.

You can go lighter bag- under 32oz for sure. Think of your clothes as extra warmth and wear them if you get cold not a heavier bag

Cooking- don’t bring a pot and a mug. Also lighter options as well

For water tablets are lighter, though honestly in the mountains don’t always use them.

Your tripod set up needs work- go carbon, short and smallest head possible. No extender

Dump the go pro and extra tripod- use your iPhone for that. Dump the kindle - put them on your phone. Question your toiletries.

Also bear spray…. I had a big brown run past me at 10 yards and my rifle was strapped to my pack.. I thought I was a goner😬. if you leave it make sure you have a quick detach system to use the rifle

bigripper

FNG
I Plan to head out on a similar trip this fall as a fellow BC resident, however I will be late August early September. We have a strangely similar taste in gear.

My 2 cents:
I run the WM Badger into mid September and have found it to be adequate, so the Kodiak for the opener might be a little warm.

I personally run the Akto but am on the lookout for a Niak to try this year, I ran a nallo for a season and found it heavy and frustrating to find good spots to set it up, still a good choice on the Hilleberg though and very roomy

I love the S2S ether pads, I have both the extreme and regular, I ran the extreme into mid september last year and actually think I will just take the regular this year, the extreme is just so bulky which becomes a problem especially on a 14 day hunt. the Regular did me well the last week of August/first week of September in 2020

I don't have any experience with the 1.7x extender in early August, but once things cool down I wouldn't leave without it as i find it to be awesome later in the season and was blown away on how usable it actually is, you may not use it the entire trip or it may be the tool that makes the trip

I certainly don't take the approach of having my gear be "my survival kit" I wouldn't trade my sleep system for anything after trying much lighter gear. But I totally respect others that take a different approach.

Good luck on the hunt

OP
StopMakingSense
First off, @ljalberta fantastic post, thank you for taking the time to put some really good thought behind all of it. I'm going to go through the list and talk about my fears. This is the primary reason that led to the decisions of my packing.

I will be doing the opener for years to come so I would like this kit to be dialed in that sense.

Tent: That tent is hefty, and would likely be the ticket for late season mountain hunting. Do you have any other options available to you that sit between the Silex and the Nallo? I've never used the Silex, but if it has some extra guy out points, I'd be personally taking it over 6lb tent. I've come to find a decent three season tent can handle the early season trips fairly well. If you get a big dump of snow, it just requires some brushing off, and if there is a serious storm brewing, it might require a little more strategic camping. These events are exception and not the rule though, and most nights, there is zero concern about tent durability and element protection. I'll be using an MSR Hubba 1 (a few models old) this year which weighs in at 2.34lbs and provides me with a nice balance of protection and weight.

My fears are multiple on my shelter.
- Having a big area to come home to and relax
- A spot to hang out in during weather that is relaxing and keeps me on the mountain
- Sleeping in high winds, I know the Nallo 2 GT holds up so damn well and it doesn't phase me

Options
Own - Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL2 36.4oz
Purchase - A different Hilleberg? Suggestions?

Savings 62.9oz

Bag
: Seems like quite the warm bag for early August - especially if you have a full set of down tops and bottoms already. I would likely be taking the Katabic Quilt and supplementing it by wearing my down top and bottom while sleeping at night if the temperatures drop. That being said, I think if you know that you'll be cold or uncomfortable in the quilt, don't make a compromise here and take whatever is going to ensure you have a good night's sleep. Same rule would apply to the sleeping pads for me.

Bag - I'm switching to a Mummy, I just don't get the same rest as I do with a quilt. I gave the quilt 3 years and man, I just can't do it anymore! For 3 day outings, I'll definitely keep using it though. The only other bag I have is the 0 WM mummy that is so incredibly comfy.

Options - WM MegaLite 30 Deg 24oz ... gives me extra room to toss and turn.

Savings - 20.0oz

Pad - Interesting one here. I'm done with my NeoAir X-Therm at 2.5" thick. I have screws in my hip from destroying my femur. I'm a huge side sleeper and the X-Therm just pokes at these screws. Moved to a 4" pad has been a lifesaver for me. I'm thinking I might buy the S2S Ether Light XT (Not the Extreme) which has an R of 3.2 instead of R of 6.1 and Save the Extreme for February winter goat.

Savings - 11.5oz

Compression Sack: Heavy for a sack. I have some sil-nylon ones that weigh 1/3 the weight or less. DCF stuff sacks can also help you shed ounces, although I am not sure about their long term durability. Look to some of the ultralight backpacking companies for options.

I use a lot of Z-Packs, my fear is getting my sleeping bag wet. I started looking at these https://zpacks.com/collections/dry-bags or would a stuff sack suffice to keep it dry? https://zpacks.com/collections/stuff-sacks

Tarp and Bivy
: I wouldn't take these personally, but I have friends I hunt with who think leaving these behind is as dumb as leaving TP behind. I figure that's what my rain gear is for. If there's a ram I want to camp on overnight and it's dumping rain, I would likely just pull back to my tent and try to get on them again the next morning.

I'm with your buddies on a good tarp and bivy. I've run a lot of my mule deer hunts this way when I spike out from my main camp for the entire day. It keeps me where I want to be for the whole day and to weather out the rain.

Stove
: There are lighter stoves, especially if you can use it as a mug as well, but maybe not more efficient ones. I would suggest taking an 8oz and a 4oz of the gas instead of the 16oz. I do that when I'm doing 16+days, but of course, this depends on how much water you boil.

This is a one-off for me but my reactor has been with me since day 1 of my adventures. It goes everywhere and has seen a lot. As far as gas, this is my fear, I'm not 100% sure how much gas I should take. I boil water for everything and do not cook anything in the pot. It's either in a bag or my mug.

The question for me is on gas usage... I might take the 16oz just to see what my end weight is on the gas. I don't disagree on the 4oz and 8oz.

Pack
: I would ditch the crib and cartridge pouch. The ounces all add up, and neither of these are needed.

Again, just fears, I do agree. The crib has been massive on solo elk hunts. I'll remove both of these. I don't know why I even considered the cartridge holder.

Swaro 1.7 Mag Extender
: I don't hunt sheep in BC and I'm not counting annuli, so I wouldn't be taking this. I also know a good number of sheep hunters who do look and count annuli and don't carrying mag extenders. I'm not sure it's worth it, but I don't have the experience to comment any further.

This falls into the category of "I want to try it and see if it gives me an edge on aging" ... after seeing all of the illegal kills last year I'm just worried about my counts and would like to bump up to 70-75x after talking with other residents and guides.

Phone Adaptor:
Phone adaptors are a huge help for assisting in deterring if a sheep is legal. That being said, are there any lighter options out there?

I've grown to detest the PhoneSkope adapters. I've broken two in the field which left me with nothing to use. The NovaGrade has been the only one I haven't been able to break, allowing me to keep my bomber case on. It gives me peace of mind knowing I won't kill it.

FL 250 Kiln Long John
: I wouldn't bring these. You are already bringing down pants, which provide a substantially greater degree of warmth. I used to sleep in base layers, but now I just crawl into my bag every night in my hunting clothes.

This was a funny one for me. Again, fears, to keep warm. All of my mule deer and elk hunts in September I never bring these! I might ditch this then.

The question is, is it good to bring the down pants then? I took them off the list but seriously considered bringing them. I suppose I will.

Camp Shoes
: I flip flop on these. Some years I bring them, some years I don't. They certainly do help with river crossings, but I no longer bring them if I don't have a substantial amount of crossings.

I'm looking at a lot of crossings on my map, I'll bring them this year for sure. I also suck at barefoot water crossings, I'm just terrible.

Possible Addition:
I noticed you have wool gloves. If the weather is going to be quite wet, it can be worth it to bring either some waterproof gloves, or a lightweight waterproof shell to slip over your wool gloves.

Thanks for bringing this up, do you have any recommendations? I'm honestly always lost in the glove department when it comes to hunting.

Batteries/Chargers
: I'm guessing that you do a lot of charging. If you don't you could look into ditching the panel and small battery pack and moving to a single battery pack with something like 20,000mah for about 11ish oz.

I do a lot of charging. The GoPro sucks the life out of things. I think I'll do some experimenting this year with my GoPro. I do have 5k 10k and 20k battery packs.

Kindle
: I wouldn't bring it. I find reading material is nice when the days are shorter and the nights are longer. I'd put a book or two on your phone since you're bringing it anyways for if you are socked in for an extended period of time.

Done, I can't believe I didn't think to just read a book on my phone

Multitool
: I know guys who like to bring these. I prefer to have my knife, and then a small allen key for my scope rings

Done, packing fears, again

I'm sorry you live in so much Fear. Overcoming the Fear will let you lighten your pack more. Testing all summer on shorter easier nights out with minimal risk will help allay your Fear.

On a side note there is one single item that will greatly reduce your Fear and potential pack weight- a non hunting Packer buddy!

OP
StopMakingSense
I'm sorry you live in so much Fear. Overcoming the Fear will let you lighten your pack more. Testing all summer on shorter easier nights out with minimal risk will help allay your Fear.

On a side note there is one single item that will greatly reduce your Fear and potential pack weight- a non hunting Packer buddy!

I wouldn't say it's living in constant fear, I've done some high-risk alpinism trips before. I know where my limits lie there and what I can get away with. Test pieces were easy to do, I could make 36-hour trips with little food and water to test my limits in a slightly more controlled environment.

The fear on this one is just the unknown of a long 14-day hunt trip for sheep and what will keep me on the mountain. I can't emulate this sort of trip without doing it.

OP
StopMakingSense
@wildwilderness Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, massively appreciate it. Ueli Steck has always been someone I looked up to in my alpinism days. I do want to speak towards this mindset though as it is one that I employ on certain hunts and during other ski and climbing multi-day trips to achieve an overall goal.

===

My first recommendation is to change your perception of the gear as backpacking kit and to think of your pack as “Survival Gear”

Simple- If you don’t need it to survive then don’t bring it.

You can study the minimalist hikers a la Ueli Steck for guidance. Always double use your gear as well.

I think this is a huge question that most need to ask before they go and it is one I asked myself as I grow older. First costs aren't an issue for me thankfully so being able to afford the best gear is an easy route. The option then comes down to is I can go heavier and get the most comfort or I can go as light as possible and get the least comfort but can still survive. I'm definitely leaning in the center of the spectrum towards comfort these days.

Some quick notes as already mentioned- lighter tent- I used a Kuiu 1 p floor less summit. Way lighter. No Bivy I hate the condensation, but I did splurge on a footprint which can be a glassing rain tarp. Your sleeping pad is also a glassing pad.

A lighter tent is in the works. As far as my sleeping pad doubling as glassing. I do that in the winter with an extra z-lite pad. The risk vs reward on a massive blow-up doesn't make sense. It's big, bulky, and could pop. I'm terrible on my gear and destroy a lot of it.

You can go lighter bag- under 32oz for sure. Think of your clothes as extra warmth and wear them if you get cold not a heavier bag

Totally agree, going with a 30 deg WM I believe.

Cooking- don’t bring a pot and a mug. Also lighter options as well

Talked about this prior, pretty stubborn on my cook setup :)

For water tablets are lighter, though honestly in the mountains don’t always use them.

At 2.6oz for filtered water, I'm ok with that weight. I've had Giardia once from a stream I was certain on, never again, cheap insurance for me. I also hate tablet taste. The taste of pure filtered water lifts me up in the mountains.

Your tripod set up needs work- go carbon, short and smallest head possible. No extender

I'm wondering what you do mean here? If you could go into some more detail I'd appreciate it. I use a Slik 624 carbon tripod and have for years. The extender post is essential, I've tried this before and I wanted to shoot myself glassing. Extending legs to change angles every time is extremely time-consuming when I could be glassing. I've also removed the handle in the front and also wanted to throw it off the mountain after 2 days of looking for mule deer. Sorry, just confused on this one.

Dump the go pro and extra tripod- use your iPhone for that. Dump the kindle - put them on your phone. Question your toiletries.

I film my hunts for a few non-profits so the GoPro and extra tripod weight is just a part of doing business for me in the mountains. Trust me, I'd use my iPhone all day if I could.

Kindle is gone.

My toiletries add up due to contacts and prescription medication. A lot of contacts for 14 days. If I take away those two I have a toothbrush cut in half, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, and a small amount leuokotape

Also bear spray…. I had a big brown run past me at 10 yards and my rifle was strapped to my pack.. I thought I was a goner😬. if you leave it make sure you have a quick detach system to use the rifle

Yeah, that gun is always on my pack! I think the spray is coming, it's under my chest harness and has put a bear pack once before.

OP
StopMakingSense
By the way, this has been an awesome thread so far with great dialogue from many different points of view in this matter. I appreciate all of you for contributing and truly do appreciate all of you for taking the time.

I think many of the things you are calling fears are concerns. There is a difference. It’s perfectly valid to be concerned about not getting a good nights sleep and being warm enough. It’s also good to remember you can bring a lighter bag and wear some of your clothes in bed. And bring less clothes and glass from your tent… etc. I think that thinking through your concerns like that makes sense while recognizing fears also makes sense. I didn’t see a huge medical kit in your list (fears).

I wouldn't say it's living in constant fear, I've done some high-risk alpinism trips before. I know where my limits lie there and what I can get away with. Test pieces were easy to do, I could make 36-hour trips with little food and water to test my limits in a slightly more controlled environment.

The fear on this one is just the unknown of a long 14-day hunt trip for sheep and what will keep me on the mountain. I can't emulate this sort of trip without doing it.
Sounds like you’ve done trips that are just as tough and hauled out bigger loads. In my experience the mountains in that region in August- September are no harsher than the Rockies during the same time of year. I think maybe, the big difference is the duration and it being solo. The duration doesn’t add to the challenge other than more food weight and more opportunity for being lonesome. The lonesome thing is why I strongly suggest downloading several audiobooks. It really does help. And IIRC you have a two way communication device. One text home and a reply is something I’m looking forward to. I’ve never had that, I bought an Inreach

OP
StopMakingSense
I think many of the things you are calling fears are concerns. There is a difference. It’s perfectly valid to be concerned about not getting a good nights sleep and being warm enough. It’s also good to remember you can bring a lighter bag and wear some of your clothes in bed. And bring less clothes and glass from your tent… etc. I think that thinking through your concerns like that makes sense while recognizing fears also makes sense. I didn’t see a huge medical kit in your list (fears).

I guess I use fears because I always seem to hear on podcasts that "people pack their fears" all the time.

Thank you for that mindset and perspective. I never thought of it that way. I'm going to list my concerns tonight and talk them through and I'll post concerns in the thread tomorrow.

The medical kit isn't explained well but it works for me to get me out of some pretty bad situations solo. Anything else requires a helicopter via the inReach :D

OP
StopMakingSense
I've redone the list a bit after doing some research and listening to everyone's thoughts and where I think my concerns were vs realizing the reality of the situation.

Same spot but all of the items I changed out are now at the bottom with 0oz amounts and the new gear I'm thinking about are in the correct spots with 'claimed weights'

There are some items on the list I'm surprised no one has brought up yet. I'll keep quiet about those for now until I go over what my concerns are and why I packed some of them.

Looks better.

I’d really consider ditching the tarp and bivvy. You have an excellent tent. If you carry less stuff your “basecamp” can be more mobile. Set up in an area and day hunt/glass within a couple miles of camp. Do you add those in when you go on shorter duration hunts? If so, have you ever needed to use them? That’s almost a whole pound you could leave behind. If you are out and the weather turns nasty you have top notch clothing and rainwear. Plus you aren’t far from camp. There is a mountaineering saying that goes something like l, “If you bring a Bivvy you might have to use it”.

Going lighter weight means bringing items that do multiple things whenever possible. Not multiple things that do the same thing. Only exception I can think of right now is I have my skinning knife reserved for the kill if I can help it. My tiny little Swiss army pocket knife is for everything else but could be used skinning if I had to.

I still wonder how your toiletries can weigh almost 7 ounces. Maybe you could list the contents of that bag.

I also don’t see a need for the puffy pants during the season you are going. That’s another pound. You have good underwear, good pants, a sit pad and stuff to keep your upper body warm. Maybe it’s just me but so long as I keep my upper body warm and my butt insulated from the ground my legs are fine. I adhere to that even when it’s down near 0° F.

Last edited: