14-days of remote solitude moose hunting in Alaska

Thanks for sharing and congrats on another great hunt! I wish the pictures of that pink harvest moon did it justice, it was one hell of a sight! I guess people will need to book their own trip and see for themselves!

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats again doc! Do you guys have fires in camp or wait till you and your partner tag out to have a fire?

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I also experienced for the first time a mature bull moose creating a rut pit and filling it with his urine, watching his cows lay in it to get that wonderful moose perfume smell on them. I enjoyed your story Doc and congrats to the both of you on your successful hunt!

Alaska, there is truly no place like it on Earth!

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I need 2 'Like' buttons for your post with that big bull. Great account of your hunt and I especially like it well-spiced with appreciation and gratitude. As I age (but at 64 I'm a teenager compared to you ;)) I find these kind of total-solitude hunts to be a real privilege. So few hunters will ever know what it's like to be really out there and unaffected by the everyday world we long to escape. Thanks AKD!
Not to get this thread sidetracked but how did your bow hunt go KD, I've been waiting to read your story.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
...I find these kind of total-solitude hunts to be a real privilege. So few hunters will ever know what it's like to be really out there and unaffected by the everyday world we long to escape. Thanks AKD!
Very well said KD, and I know you know that true experience as well. For me I think perhaps "ineffable" is the best word to describe being remotely out there hunting.

I hope your hunt was a good adventure as well.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for sharing and congrats on another great hunt! I wish the pictures of that pink harvest moon did it justice, it was one hell of a sight! I guess people will need to book their own trip and see for themselves!
I hear you...that moon was amazing and the moose were dancing all night to it and sleeping the days away! That picture was the best I had, but it sure didn't do it!

USMC2602

WKR
Great write up, Doc, and congratulations! I can't agree with you more on the beauty and solitude, which I've been lucky enough to experience twice now in that great land. There's really no adequate way to describe it.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Congrats again doc! Do you guys have fires in camp or wait till you and your partner tag out to have a fire?
I choose not to have a fire until we've tagged-out, but I know that is a debatable point.

I do bring a titanium wood burning stove for my SO 4-man...and that sure is welcomed when we set it up and enjoy the warmth.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
...I can't agree with you more on the beauty and solitude, which I've been lucky enough to experience twice now in that great land. There's really no adequate way to describe it.
Very well said K.

I'm sure glad you made it up here and had a great adventure...wish I could have shook your hand in the hangar at Renfro's.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
...Alaska got in my blood and I plan to go after a species there as often as I can. Its working out to be every other year as I save up enough money, and also burn the points I’ve built up in the lower 48. Someday I hope to make it to Alaska every year. At just 42 I have a few years left in me if I age as well as you guys.

I always appreciate your participation here mcseal2, and I sincerely hope that Alaska is part of your hunting future for as long as you wish it to be. Moving here was one of the top five decisions of my life!

I choose not to have a fire until we've tagged-out, but I know that is a debatable point.

I do bring a titanium wood burning stove for my SO 4-man...and that sure is welcomed when we set it up and enjoy the warmth.
Didn’t know there was a differing of opinion here. Guess I have something else to research and make my own call on. Thanks.

travispe

FNG
Great story. Thanks for writing it for us to enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

decrooj

FNG
Wonderful write up and love the pictures you added! Thanks for sharing.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Post Script...

My house a week ago today...I had just gotten back the night before from my 14-day moose hunt, and I was looking forward to vegging out for the day and unpacking/drying gear outside...until I woke-up the next morning...nope, not this time.

IMG_4958.jpg