14-days of remote solitude moose hunting in Alaska

^^^ WOW!! ^^^

75 degrees and wall-to-wall sunshine here on my Ohio farm today. You know....just sayin'.

:LOL:

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
congrats AKDoc, i went on my first moose hunt this year with Papa bear. The one thing i thought of as me and my buddy were sitting there waiting on the plane to pick us up was the following i asked my hunting partner...... ya know what i think my favorite part has been on this hunt, he replies, what's that?, i said, for the last 5 days i haven't once thought about the Damned covid 19 or heard a thing about politics.....he quickly concurred.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
congrats AKDoc, i went on my first moose hunt this year with Papa bear. The one thing i thought of as me and my buddy were sitting there waiting on the plane to pick us up was the following i asked my hunting partner...... ya know what i think my favorite part has been on this hunt, he replies, what's that?, i said, for the last 5 days i haven't once thought about the Damned covid 19 or heard a thing about politics.....he quickly concurred.
Thank you...and I agree. When I'm out remotely like that, it's a psychologically healthy "reset" for me...each and every time. That said, it's certainly not for everyone, which is pretty quickly evident for the individual once out there.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
You have had a great run of hunting trips here in AK! Congrats on the big guy and memorable hunt(s).
Thank you...and I'm grateful for each and every one of them! The bull this year was extra special, and I'm doing a Euro mount...he deserves it.

I also do a 10-day remote fly-fishing pack-raft/lite-raft float each year in late August/early September with my PR-49HD or Kork...and those are equally awesome adventures!

IMG_4853.jpgIMG_4822.jpgIMG_4851.jpgIMG_4870.jpgIMG_4865.jpg

Edit: Added images from 2021.

Last edited:

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
AKD. Awesome relaying of your 2021 moose adventure. The words you share resonate with so many of us… I tip my hat to the text of your thread and it’s embodiment of what it means to adventure hunt and create memories.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
AKD. Awesome relaying of your 2021 moose adventure. The words you share resonate with so many of us… I tip my hat to the text of your thread and it’s embodiment of what it means to adventure hunt and create memories.
Extremely well said P, thank you sir...and I know that you also create memorable life adventures as well!

I hope all went well with you and those with you this fall!

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations on a great bull Doc! Really enjoyed the story and especially the awesome pictures. Hard to want much more out of a hunt than that!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up. I sat reading with my morning coffee and thoroughly enjoyed it. Best wishes for more solitude.

Thess87

WKR
Awesome story!!! Would love to be a fly on the wall and listen to you and KD swap stories of past hunts. Thanks for sharing!!

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Really enjoyed the replay of your hunt this year, Doc. I’ve read a number of your posts over the past few years and always found them enjoyable and inspiring. I was saving this read for today’s quiet, snowy morning in Fairbanks. We moved to AK and have decided to make it our home recently. I’ll still live vicariously through your experiences, but they are ones that will soon become realities as we get more situated and seasoned. Thanks once again for the motivation!

Thanks for taking the time to document and share your adventure with the Rokslide community. You have a special talent putting your adventures into words in addition to the complimentary pictures. At 69 and still going strong with your adventures, you are an inspiration to many of us. Keep living the dream, it will keep you young beyond your mortal years. Wished I could have met you at Renfros this year, hopefully our paths cross sometime in the future. Looking forward to hearing more of your future adventures.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Really enjoyed the replay of your hunt this year, Doc. I’ve read a number of your posts over the past few years and always found them enjoyable and inspiring. I was saving this read for today’s quiet, snowy morning in Fairbanks. We moved to AK and have decided to make it our home recently. I’ll still live vicariously through your experiences, but they are ones that will soon become realities as we get more situated and seasoned. Thanks once again for the motivation!
Very kind words...thank you...and welcome to Alaska residency! Hang in there long enough, and when you hit 60 you get a lifetime hunting, fishing and trapping license. The troopers call it a "good guy card" because you must also be free of any criminal offenses.

Reactions: scp
OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for taking the time to document and share your adventure with the Rokslide community. You have a special talent putting your adventures into words in addition to the complimentary pictures. At 69 and still going strong with your adventures, you are an inspiration to many of us. Keep living the dream, it will keep you young beyond your mortal years. Wished I could have met you at Renfros this year, hopefully our paths cross sometime in the future. Looking forward to hearing more of your future adventures.
Thank you for the compliments and thoughtfulness...I also would have enjoyed meeting you last month in the Renfro hangar after talking together this past year. I hope and trust that you had a great adventure.

Mt Al

WKR

I was thinking of what I was going to write to thank you for sharing your stories, but live2huntelk hit every nail on the head: your time, talent, pics, inspiration.

Inspiration is what I appreciate: I'm in my mid 50s and it's soooooo inspiring to see you and your friends crushing it. Gives me hope!

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Congratulations and thanks for sharing, it is appreciated.

You done good….really good!
That's quite a compliment, especially given what you have done up here...thank you. My beautiful wife made me promise when we first moved here that I would not do solo hunts, and I've kept that promise (although I know I would have enjoyed doing some).

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I was thinking of what I was going to write to thank you for sharing your stories, but live2huntelk hit every nail on the head: your time, talent, pics, inspiration.

Inspiration is what I appreciate: I'm in my mid 50s and it's soooooo inspiring to see you and your friends crushing it. Gives me hope!
Thank you Mt Al...I also enjoy your enthusiasm and posts about pack-rafting!

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you...and I'm grateful for each and every one of them! The bull this year was extra special, and I'm doing a Euro mount...he deserves it.

I also do a 10-day remote fly-fishing pack-raft/lite-raft float each year in late August/early September with my PR-49HD or Kork...and those are equally awesome adventures!

View attachment 331900View attachment 331901View attachment 331902View attachment 331903View attachment 331905

Edit: Added images from 2021.
If you need a pot to boil the skull you can borrow mine. I'm in Wasilla.

Attachments

• skull 3.jpg
    skull 3.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 65