14-days of remote solitude moose hunting in Alaska

Kwa_bena

FNG
So essentially you get up high as you can and look on from there? I've been looking to hunt in Alaska and the shear vastness of the land seems daunting

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
So essentially you get up high as you can and look on from there? I've been looking to hunt in Alaska and the shear vastness of the land seems daunting
As a starting strategy, when in an area with good moose sign, I really try to keep from walking all over the place and stinking it up. That's kind of hard for me because it's in my nature to explore, i.e., look around that corner, over that hill, just one more hill, etc. I fight that urge, and we adopt a mind-set that the moose are all around us, so we try to manage our noise in camp and call pretty much from camp. Many times a bull has come from around that corner or from over that hill, right to us.

Sometimes, yes...getting up high to spot is needed, but that is not my initial strategy when in an area with good moose sign. Other members can join the discussion and may offer a different perspective, which is fine.

tbrady77

FNG
Great writeup! I've just started doing research in doing a hunt like this with my 20yo son. Any recommendations on outfitters as opposed to figuring out all the logistics yourself? Do you mind saying what something like this would cost roughly?

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Great writeup! I've just started doing research in doing a hunt like this with my 20yo son. Any recommendations on outfitters as opposed to figuring out all the logistics yourself? Do you mind saying what something like this would cost roughly?
There are many transporters/outfitters/guides to vet and a variety of different regions in this huge state in which they operate. Read through the numerous stories and experiences shared by members over the years (good and bad), and you will learn a great deal about the specifics of those various options. Regarding costs, it's probably best that you directly contact different choices yourself to hear current prices from the source because those numbers do change.

I do suggest that you start the planning and logistics process by first aligning together on what you primarily seek/want from the moose hunt experience together. You may have already done that, but it is the very best starting point IMHO...and then the logistics follow. We do differ as hunters in what we seek, and that's ok. Some only want a +60" trophy, some primarily want a truly remote DIY Alaska hunting experience, some want....etc., etc. As an example, I described earlier what I primarily seek for a moose hunt and my choice to get there, year after year...and every year is an adventure for sure!

I think it's great that you are planning a trip with your son...hunting trips with my son and daughter have always been my most favorite. The very best to you for a safe and memorable adventure together.

Last edited:

roymunson

WKR
If they could bottle this sentiment, I'd buy it by the case.

Congrats on a fantastic hunt. You're living a dream

Bigsteak

FNG
Hey Doc, thanks for the incredible story. I got to wondering as I read it, which of the methods you've now used to hunt moose (float trip, lake drop-off and now this higher elevation hunt) has been your favorite. If you could only choose to do one for the rest of your life, which would it be and maybe why? Which one is planned for this coming year?

I'm in the very early stages of planning a moose trip myself. I went to the Brooks range for caribou this last year and caught the AK bug a bit. I think my hunting goals are generally similar to yours in that I'm looking for an adventure and solitude most of all and filling the freezer as a close second.

Thanks again for the great story!

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the kind words folks...I'm always happy to share with others here.

Hey Doc, thanks for the incredible story. I got to wondering as I read it, which of the methods you've now used to hunt moose (float trip, lake drop-off and now this higher elevation hunt) has been your favorite. If you could only choose to do one for the rest of your life, which would it be and maybe why? Which one is planned for this coming year?

I'm in the very early stages of planning a moose trip myself. I went to the Brooks range for caribou this last year and caught the AK bug a bit. I think my hunting goals are generally similar to yours in that I'm looking for an adventure and solitude most of all and filling the freezer as a close second.

Thanks again for the great story!
You're very welcome. You've asked a tough question with no simple answer for me. Whether it be a float, lake-drop or higher ground hunt there are definite pros/cons to each of those venues for moose hunting, and each one can be a totally different and fun adventure for sure. It's the remote solitude of the adventure...the experience...I seek each year, and bringing home wonderful moose meat! That said (and to answer your question as an old man), if I were forced to choose, I'd probably say lake-drop for moose hunting because meat retrieval for pick-up is a much shorter distance to haul...and there's a lot of it!

Venue options aside, my personal priorities for a moose hunt are: (1) responsible meat retrieval and care in the field; (2) not seeing any other hunters while I'm hunting; (3) a less stressful "any bull" GMU (as opposed to an antler restricted GMU), and (4) a GMU with high moose densities. I'm not seeking a +60" bull as a determiner of a successful hunting adventure...no offense intended to those who are.

Oh, your other question is easy to answer...this year I'm returning back to where I was last year for moose hunting...slightly higher terrain with put-in on wheels. I'll be the 70yo pulling moose loads with a roll-up sled! (I also have a 10-day DIY remote fly-fishing float scheduled in late August...I absolutely love light-weight, very remote floats up here!).

Last edited:

VernAK

WKR
The Supercubs and Cessnas are moving sheep and caribou hunters as they fly over my house. Moose hunters will be showing up this weekend. The weather should deteriorate any day now. Let's hope everyone has a safe hunt.

The hills are gorgeous in fall colors. Blue berries were plentiful but a July frost ruined much of that crop.

My gear is packed but I've got a few days to hunt cranes before departing.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
The Supercubs and Cessnas are moving sheep and caribou hunters as they fly over my house. Moose hunters will be showing up this weekend. The weather should deteriorate any day now. Let's hope everyone has a safe hunt.

The hills are gorgeous in fall colors. Blue berries were plentiful but a July frost ruined much of that crop.

My gear is packed but I've got a few days to hunt cranes before departing.
We're headed your way on Tuesday Vern for10 glorious days in one of my all time favorite hunting locales. Have you heard any good reports on the sheep population in the DCUA?

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
As a starting strategy, when in an area with good moose sign, I really try to keep from walking all over the place and stinking it up. That's kind of hard for me because it's in my nature to explore, i.e., look around that corner, over that hill, just one more hill, etc. I fight that urge, and we adopt a mind-set that the moose are all around us, so we try to manage our noise in camp and call pretty much from camp. Many times a bull has come from around that corner or from over that hill, right to us.

Sometimes, yes...getting up high to spot is needed, but that is not my initial strategy when in an area with good moose sign. Other members can join the discussion and may offer a different perspective, which is fine.
Hey Doc I feel like every time you and other post something it just creates more questions! haha Say we fly in somewhere and don't see rubs or sign close by camp. Would you still call from camp or would you start walking to the highest peak or place with nearest sign instead?

VernAK

WKR
We're headed your way on Tuesday Vern for10 glorious days in one of my all time favorite hunting locales. Have you heard any good reports on the sheep population in the DCUA?
Sheep and DCUA hardly belong in the same sentence any longer. There's been a handful taken but they are not plentiful. Best tally they could come up with was less than 20 legal rams in DCUA and some question that.

TMA is very similar.

All of our ungulates took a beating last winter and sheep populations were already down. The bears slept through it all and awoke to lotsa winter kill to feed on.