140 AB vs 162 ELD-X

Honestly, I would expect crappy results too if I were aiming and hitting the shoulders of these animals. Shoulders aren't vitals. They are close to each other and both can be damaged in a single shot but shoulders are shoulders and vitals are vitals. I believe my success with the ELD line of bullets stems from shot placement. I always aim for the crease/vital area behind the shoulder. I've always thought it crazy to purposely shoot an animal in the very part I want to eat. The only way I'd do that is with a solid not made to fragment. Call me crazy. My $0.02.

EcoastDG

FNG
Eldx’s have been hit or miss for me. 7mm have worked as advertised, however I have had some issues with 6.5 creedmoor. I have had 2 pencil through deer (once on a Muley buck at 300 yards and once in Whitetail doe at 150 yards that was not recovered).

amassi

WKR
Nosler is also releasing a 150 accubond
Might be a great option for your A.I

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I use the 140gr Accubond in my 280ai and they have yet to give me any reason to change. They're a little stouter than I like for deer but they punch above their weight for elk. Between them and any non-bonded polymer tip bullet in my 280ai, I'll use the Accubonds if elk are on the list.

I've been tempted to try the 154 interbonds. I have shot 139 SST's and Interbonds interchangeably from my 7mm-08, and they both shoot extremely well and fly to the same POI (tested numerous times out to 300 yards). The one whitetail I shot with a 139 Interbond at about 175 yards didn't like it very much. The bullet blew right through with a nice 1/2" exit. SST's tend to drop them a bit faster and expand more, as expected.

I would think the 154 SST/Interbond combo for 7mm should be a good one. 150 Accubonds sound great too though.

That's what's great about 7mm rifles. So many good bullet choices and all have great ballistics and good SD's.

Honestly, I would expect crappy results too if I were aiming and hitting the shoulders of these animals. Shoulders aren't vitals. They are close to each other and both can be damaged in a single shot but shoulders are shoulders and vitals are vitals. I believe my success with the ELD line of bullets stems from shot placement. I always aim for the crease/vital area behind the shoulder. I've always thought it crazy to purposely shoot an animal in the very part I want to eat. The only way I'd do that is with a solid not made to fragment. Call me crazy. My $0.02.

Absolutely the most guaranteed way to drop giant coastal grizzlies is to poke a good hard bullet through both shoulders at the plus side of 2600fps.

Locomotion isn’t happening when both shoulders are broken. That and the heart is located right behind the humerous.

You go fish out the kodiak in the alders with the lung shot, i’ll take death moan in sight.

Sticking to the two nannies for every bull while tahr hunting a fair bit of them got shot by myself and mates front shoulder to intentionally squander meat recovery (i’m Too much a North American to wanton waste but if the front shoulders are jelly... well..) and outside of 200gr eld-x bullets you’ll have a hard time convincing me otherwise it’s the most guaranteed way to get any sub 1000lb animal to never take another step.

Eland are an exception, moose too (neck shot 22-250 drops them tho)

All that said there’s no way i’d Look past 162gr eld-m for killing stuff. Cheaper, mo bettah.

There’s a reason the kiwi standard is a tikka in 7mm-08 ADI ar2208 (varget) or 2209 (h4350) and a 162 amax.. it works.

Last edited:

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Every time someone asks about the ELDX there seems to be a story or two of poor hunting performance. I've thought about giving them a try but then another negative story pops up.

On the other hand, I've shot Accubonds for many years with excellent performance. This includes single shot kills on moose and brown bear. Actually i think every animal I've taken with Accubonds has been single shot kills. My vote is for 150 or 160 gr Accubonds.

Jardo

WKR
I have no experience with eldx bullets, but I’ve shot a lot of animals with accubonds. Mostly in 270 win 140 pills. But I recently bought a cooper backcountry in 280 ai and have been whacking deer, elk and pigs with 160 grain accubonds. Accubonds have never let me down if I hit them up n the shoulder. For axis deer, you need to hit the shoulder or they can run off and die in the thick brush and you won’t find them.

The accubonds are not as sexy as a Berger 168 vld with a range card, but I can shoot and hit comfortably out to 700 yards or so which is about max range for me with this rifle.

If I’m going long range, I’m taking my 300 win mag with Berger 215s. I’m comfortable with this out to 1000 yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely the most guaranteed way to drop giant coastal grizzlies is to poke a good hard bullet through both shoulders at the plus side of 2600fps.

Locomotion isn’t happening when both shoulders are broken. That and the heart is located right behind the humerous.

You go fish out the kodiak in the alders with the lung shot, i’ll take death moan in sight.

Sticking to the two nannies for every bull while tahr hunting a fair bit of them got shot by myself and mates front shoulder to intentionally squander meat recovery (i’m Too much a North American to wanton waste but if the front shoulders are jelly... well..) and outside of 200gr eld-x bullets you’ll have a hard time convincing me otherwise it’s the most guaranteed way to get any sub 1000lb animal to never take another step.

Eland are an exception, moose too (neck shot 22-250 drops them tho)

All that said there’s no way i’d Look past 162gr eld-m for killing stuff. Cheaper, mo bettah.

There’s a reason the kiwi standard is a tikka in 7mm-08 ADI ar2208 (varget) or 2209 (h4350) and a 162 amax.. it works.
Agreed. I'm not talking about dispatching Grizzlies. I was speaking to the effectiveness of shot placement with an ELD on antelope and mule deer.