140 AB vs 162 ELD-X

My 280AI shoots the 140gr AB and the 162gr ELD-X the same, getting 1" groups at 100yds. What would you use for hunting deer and elk and why? My max range would probably be 500-600yds.

The 140AB has the advantage of less drop while the 162ELDX carries more energy and has less wind drift. Then there is the difference in bullet construction.

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
At those velocities, I'd use a 160 Accubond. I'd be concerned the ELD-X won't stay together. I use the 162 ELD-X out of my 7mm-08, but it leaves the pipe 300 fps. slower than that. Unless of course you don't expect shots inside of 200 yards.

I was thinking I should get a box of the 160AB to try. If they group well I may go that route. For my distance I feel like they may be the right balance of weight/energy and better construction than an ELDX.

I've never had anything but good luck with the 160 AB's They are always very accurate. Only reason I'm shooting the 162 ELD-X is because I bought 4 boxes on clearance for $15/100, and I figure at 7mm-08 velocities they will be just fine. I also want/needed the higher BC for my lower MV.

I have used the 162 ELD-X almost exclusively since its inception. I've killed 6 mule deer and 2 antelope with them, ranging from 80 yds to 588 yds. All performed great, as long as I put the bullet where I wanted it. The one was a quick, close, offhand shot (80 yd) and I ended up hitting him a little further high and back than I wanted. It dumped him but I still put another one in him. All others were one and done. I haven't hunted elk before but I wouldn't hesitate to use them on a bull. They dope the wind extremely good. My actual wind holds are almost always less than what my drop chart or range finder tell me. The 160 AB's might be a good route for you. I tried them and just couldn't get them to shoot as well as the Hornadys.

OP
MuleyFever
I just ordered a box of the Nosler 160s. If they can do an 1" I will probably go with them. If not maybe I will use the 140s for deer and pronghorn this year since I don't have a rifle elk hunt planned this year.

Edit: mainly because I can get the 140s at sportsmans but have to order the ELDX.

Last edited:
I just ordered a box of the Nosler 160s. If they can do an 1" I will probably go with them. If not maybe I will use the 140s for deer and pronghorn this year since I don't have a rifle elk hunt planned this year.
Right on! I hope they group well for you, let us know how they do.

Nick-D

FNG
Accubonds are a damn good bullet, but are pretty sturdy. At your velocities I would keep them 400 and under. If you want to push further than that then use the softer bullet (eld-x or eld-m) imo a 1moa gun isn't really a 600m gun anyway so keep it to more sane distances

N2TRKYS

WKR
Ch

Edit: mainly because I can get the 140s at sportsmans but have to order the ELDX.
Check out Shootersproshop.com for your Nosler bullets.

jspickar

FNG
I am very happy with the accuracy and performance of the160 accubonds in my 280ai.

I've never used Hornady bullets and never will

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jspickar

FNG
Why? Got an ax to grind with Hornady eh?
Not impressed by their marketing or by their bullets performance.

Saw a 162gr eldx blow apart after hitting a front shoulder on a bull at 510 yards out of a 7mag.

My dad shot an antelope behind the shoulder at 110 yards with a sst out of a 6.5 Creedmoor. Recovered the bullet under the hide on the far side. I've got no use for a bullet that can't make it through an antelope.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's bizarre. I've had nothing but great luck out of Hornady bullets. Usually the most accurate bullets I load (SST's never fail to be super accurate) and I've never recovered an SST yet. They are my go-to deer bullets after trying out quite a few others.

tom338

FNG
my hunting partner shot a small bull elk at 60 yards, hit the scapula and splashed, 162 grain ELDX. Took 2 more follow up shots when we tracked it down in the snow (would NOT have gotten it without snow, no blood) 2 shots at 20 yards, neither made a pass thru. Then he went mule deer hunting, That buck took 4 rounds to put down. It was a guided hunt and after all the shooting the guide asked what bullet he was using, 162 grain ELDX. The guide said you are the 5th guy this year who had to do multiple follow up shots using that same bullet. My partners rifle was a 7mm rem mag. No longer uses that bullet

elkguide

WKR
Most every rifle has their likes and dislikes.

I've seen good performance out of Nosler AB's on game from some other friends rifles BUT I have 3 - .300 Win Mags 2 - .300WSM's and a .300 RUM that I can feed any other bullet through them and achieve 1/2" groups @ 100 but when I work with the AB's, I struggle to keep them under 1 3/4"! I can't bring myself to use them because of that.

I've had great success with Partitions but they are a 1" bullet.

The Bergers and the H - SST's have been very accurate and have performed well for me under many different situations along with giving me 1/2" or better accuracy and a lot of dead animals.