140gr sst vs 147 eld-m in 6.5creedmoor

Blaw

WKR
I drank the Koolaid and bought a 6.5 creedmoor tikka t3x. I even put a SWFA scope on it so we can all still be friends.

looking at components the ELD-X and ELD-M are looking scarce or expensive.

How does the 140gr sst compare?
Is the standard powder being used H4350?

I have seen a few SMK around as well. Any good in a little caliber or only for the big boys?

I am talking Deer and Elk if I don't get one with my bow.

and don't say its not a hunting bullet blablablabalbla

we will say max distance 300yrds most likely much closer

nubrun

FNG
I just picked up a t3x hunter in 6.5 creedmor for deer. I’m running the 110 hammer hunters(ca lead free) at 3,200 FPS with varget. For the 140/147 class bullets it’s tough to beat h4350.

JRMiller

WKR
I find them pretty easily. I just bought some from Midway about a week ago. Vizards usually has them too.
Regardless, i will be honest, if you're are pretty certain your shots will be sub-300 yards the 143 will not do well.
Its min expansion velocity is 1600 fps, where as the 140 sst is 1800.
You hit an Elk at 200 yards and that 143 will likely blow apart.
SSTs are known to be fragment somewhat easily.
It will be very accurate, but its designed to be a long range bullet, i.e. hit animals at longer ranges and yet still expand
I have yet to use the 140sst or 143 eldx on an animal yet, as my Grendel does front line duty and the creed is just a backup gun
For the Grendal i used a 123sst once on an antelope and it was a mess. and that was at 332yrds
Fragments went throughout the body cavity and i had gut contents all mixed up in my meat

JRMiller

WKR
I find them pretty easily. I just bought some from Midway about a week ago. Vizards usually has them too.
Regardless, i will be honest, if you're are pretty certain your shots will be sub-300 yards the 143 will not do well.
Its min expansion velocity is 1600 fps, where as the 140 sst is 1800.
You hit an Elk at 200 yards and that 143 will likely blow apart.
SSTs are known to be fragment somewhat easily.
It will be very accurate, but its designed to be a long range bullet, i.e. hit animals at longer ranges and yet still expand
I have yet to use the 140sst or 143 eldx on an animal yet, as my Grendel does front line duty and the creed is just a backup gun
For the Grendal i used a 123sst once on an antelope and it was a mess. and that was at 332yrds
Fragments went throughout the body cavity and i had gut contents all mixed up in my meat
Whoops, just realized you said 147 eldm, not 143 eldx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve hunted pretty much exclusively with the 129 Grain SSTs in my .260’s for a really really long time. Lots of animals on the ground and never had any issues with losing an animal due to “not enough energy” or “the bullet doesn’t pass through and leave me a blood trail”. When you dump all of the energy into the heart or lungs the animals don’t get very far at all.

Elk, whitetail, blacktail, black bear, and many other critters have all been dropped by that mighty little pill. If ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Federal Premium 140gr Accubond. Will definitely outperform ELD-X on elk. Killed a cow with it. Only 50 yards but under skin on opposite side. Ran about 30 yards on a double lung. Do wish I'd had a pass through. No blood trail other than a few drops where I shot her and then massive blood last five yards before she died.

Typical bullet thread, lots of speculation from individuals who never kill anything but a case of beer on the couch.
Even the 140 ELD M will go wall to wall on a broadside cow or average sized bull elk. Short range isn't an issue for a bullet with that kind of sectional density. 147s are great too, 143s are a little tamer but still effective.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Wrongside

WKR
opinions on H3450?
sst vs ELD-M?
H4350 & IMR4451 are both temp stabil and have been excellent for us across several 6.5CMs, including my Tikka.

I’ve killed a couple critters- MD & elk- and a bud has killed a few deer with the 147ELD. Performance has been great. I accidentally hit big bone on my elk last year- the 147 blew right thru and exited into the hillside. They dig deep.

williaada

WKR
I would shy away from the SST. I had a few not perform on deer. I switched to Nosler and ELDs and have been happy with the results.

JDM270WSM

FNG
If you are going to keep it under 400 yards, I'd load 140 accubonds and a stiff charge of reloder 26. You should be
able to knock on 2900 fps if you have a 24" bbl. That will work fine on deer and elk even with shoulder shots.