147 ELDM high velocity impacts?

ckleeves

WKR
Anybody have experience with the 6.5 147 ELDM and high velocity impacts? Let’s say in the 3000-3200 FPS range. Also has anybody had any mid flight come aparts pushing them real fast?

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
They weren’t really on my radar until yesterday. My buddy chambered up a new barrel in .264 wm for me and I had them on the shelf and figured they would be good for getting some rounds down the barrel, getting an idea of what powders to try, etc.

Loaded up a wide variety of powders, charge weights etc and went out. They shot absolutely lights out. Ran them up to 3260, which I was hoping for 3200 so that was nice.

Here is a 6 shot group with 6 different charge weights and 2 different powders.
762e6e64ed1fd980828c5853aab884cc.jpg

Then this is 5 shots in 1 grain increments with around 150 FPS of ES
ea11ea68d8bdf9c9c4a3808b2e645099.jpg

So needless to say I’m considering just sticking with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtmuley

WKR
Agreed, I thought he had info on how the perfromed on game at that higher impact velocities rather than just how fast they are going during load work ups...that doesn't really matter much to me...could careless if someone shot them at 3600 fps at paper ;)
I thought the same. There are probly better bullets out there that hold up to high velocity close range impacts. I've been hunting with a RUM for 20 years. I know of a couple. mtmuley

Jacack

WKR
What was your impact velocity??
Killing stuff and load development ain't the same. mtmuley

The op asked about mid flight also.

As for impact, I have shot and killed around 40 animals from 75lb hogs at close range to red stag at 680 and a bunch of stuff in between and not had any issues that wouldn’t of be better with better shot placement.

What 6.5 drives them at 3600 impact velocity? Or 3200 for that matter,

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
The 3200 was the upper end for sure. That would be -50 yards basically and that’s assuming they like to be ran at the very top end (big assumption there) 3K would probably be a more realistic number.

They weren’t really on my radar until yesterday. My buddy chambered up a new barrel in .264 wm for me and I had them on the shelf and figured they would be good for getting some rounds down the barrel, getting an idea of what powders to try, etc.

Loaded up a wide variety of powders, charge weights etc and went out. They shot absolutely lights out. Ran them up to 3260, which I was hoping for 3200 so that was nice.

Here is a 6 shot group with 6 different charge weights and 2 different powders.
762e6e64ed1fd980828c5853aab884cc.jpg

Then this is 5 shots in 1 grain increments with around 150 FPS of ES
ea11ea68d8bdf9c9c4a3808b2e645099.jpg

So needless to say I’m considering just sticking with them.

What powders were you running in your 264? Getting a new tube spun up for mine and have a box of 147s laying around

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
What powders were you running in your 264? Getting a new tube spun up for mine and have a box of 147s laying around

Retumbo gave the highest velocity. IMR 8133 wasn’t far behind but got really jumpy at the top end so I quite playing with it. RL 23 wasn’t as good as either velocity wise, but accuracy and ES were fantastic. H-1000 was about like 23.

Overall once I got things kinda tuned in the ES were crazy tight with all powders. With both 23 and Retumbo got single digits with multiple charge weights over 5 shot series.

From what I found I think Retumbo is probably gonna be my choice. Rl23 may very well be tops with 130 grain bullets. If I try the Hammer 131 I’ll start with 23.

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
Did you consider r33?

No I didn’t, I’m not a fan of 33. It may generate more velocity but I always feel like 33 is a deal with the devil. I have played with it before and I’m not going down that road again.

What issues did you have?
Onky reason I ask is that's what I used for my last barrel and didnt have issues but if theres something to look for I'd like to know about it.

Broz

WKR
From the antelope and deer I shot with them from the PRC, They will be very explosive at higher velocities. One deer at 125 yds, another at 300 with a MV of 2912 showed them to just grenade in the chest cavity ( dead animal and a real mess inside with both having broken diprams from fragments) while the longer shots 510 and 826 they worked very well. I am predicting some wrecks with high impact velocities and especially with 3 and 4 groove barrels.

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
What issues did you have?
Onky reason I ask is that's what I used for my last barrel and didnt have issues but if theres something to look for I'd like to know about it.

I just don’t like how dirty and temp sensitive it is. In the right cartridges it can generate impressive velocity, but I’ll go with a few less FPS and not have to worry winter to summer etc.

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
From the antelope and deer I shot with them from the PRC, They will be very explosive at higher velocities. One deer at 125 yds, another at 300 with a MV of 2912 showed them to just grenade in the chest cavity ( dead animal and a real mess inside with both having broken diprams from fragments) while the longer shots 510 and 826 they worked very well. I am predicting some wrecks with high impact velocities and especially with 3 and 4 groove barrels.

Hmm that’s what I was worried about. So on the 300 yard deer your impact velocity was around 2600 ish?

My plan all along was the Berger 15(6?) thinking i could run it at a pretty high but not crazy speed. Now I’m not sure what I’ll use until comes out. Any suggestions?

Broz

WKR
Hmm that’s what I was worried about. So on the 300 yard deer your impact velocity was around 2600 ish?

My plan all along was the Berger 15(6?) thinking i could run it at a pretty high but not crazy speed. Now I’m not sure what I’ll use until comes out. Any suggestions?

Well, contrary to what we read from some web sources, I find this cut away interesting. But I need to get personal terminal data before I say the X is the way to go here. 147 ELD M on Left, 143 ELD X on right. Note jacket thickness.
I have some ADG brass, and some of the 155 test bullets I hope to slay some goats and deer with this fall. They worked well with a MV of 2750 from a creed, now I am going to pump up a load and see what they do. If you are running a 3 or 4 groove tube, like Proof, Kreiger and some others in 6.5. I would be looking at Cutting Edge Bullets at your velocities. They are top shelf for mono's in my opinion, and fast with their patented seal tight band and bore rider design.

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
Thanks for the info. Both cutting edge and Hammer were on my radar but the price, availability and the way they shot had me curious on the ELDM. Guess I’ll break down and order some quality monos.

Broz

WKR
Thanks for the info. Both cutting edge and Hammer were on my radar but the price, availability and the way they shot had me curious on the ELDM. Guess I’ll break down and order some quality monos.

Why not try the Berger 140 VLD H ?

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
Why not try the Berger 140 VLD H ?

I certainly could, I have a few boxes on the shelf. From what you have seen do you consider them less explosive then ELDX’s and ELDM’s?

Most of the impacts I have seen with the 6.5 Berger’s have been fairly low velocity and with the amount of expansion they demonstrated at the low velocity’s I was concerned about a “warp speed” impact.

Broz

WKR
I certainly could, I have a few boxes on the shelf. From what you have seen do you consider them less explosive then ELDX’s and ELDM’s?

Most of the impacts I have seen with the 6.5 Berger’s have been fairly low velocity and with the amount of expansion they demonstrated at the low velocity’s I was concerned about a “warp speed” impact.

I think they are worth a look. VLD's have proven to hold together better for me than the Hybrid O gives. But never ran the 6.5 / 140 to 3200. I have the 219 / 30's and they worked well. I would use them in a heart beat if you plan any longer shots where BC will be of value for less wind drift. The 156 will be coming at some point, I hope soon.