15-45 vs 20-60

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Just google "rent spotting scope". There are quite a few options; due your due diligence. There even may be a site sponsor that does rentals as well.

For the same model, the larger the objective the better the low light picture should be. I love looking through my STX 95 but I much prefer carrying my STX 65. My 95mm objective typically comes out when scouting or if it'll be an easy day hike for hunting. Otherwise my 65mm objective gets the nod the rest of the time for those hunts that warrant a spotter.

Very helpful. Being able to have both options to fit to your hunt makes a lot of sense.

What do you all prefer if you had one spotter for magnification? I prefer 10’s for binos and higher magnification for a spotter. I’ve used a 20-60 but the pack ability of a 15-45 does seem much better. Those with 15-45 do you ever wish for more magnification? Thanks so much.

-Kyle
I've had a Kowa 554 for a couple of seasons now, and have never wished for more power, yet. I run it mostly at 27-30X for a bit better FOV, and for ease of acquiring a target for a better look when I come off my binos. When I need to, I can max out at 45X and the image remains bright and brilliantly sharp. It loses nothing. I believe it's about 12" long and 28oz., so it always goes whenever and wherever my pack goes.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I've had a Kowa 554 for a couple of seasons now, and have never wished for more power, yet. I run it mostly at 27-30X for a bit better FOV, and for ease of acquiring a target for a better look when I come off my binos. When I need to, I can max out at 45X and the image remains bright and brilliantly sharp. It loses nothing. I believe it's about 12" long and 28oz., so it always goes whenever and wherever my pack goes.

Impressive specs! Thanks for sharing I need to research more about Kowa.

I based my above opinion on testing my Kowa 553 and 883. On sunny summer days scouting or just testing between the two midday, I always came away wondering why the heck I have the 883. But sure enough, come darker overcast or wet fall days, and there’s no question that I would rather hump my 9 lbs of 883 and super stiff RRS 3 series tripod any where I am willing to bring out an animal from, and gather the best information no matter the light condition

I also have a 553 and a 773. If your packing a large scope already, the 1.6 Extender is a game changer for the 773 or 883. You end up with 96x that is totally usable. It never came off of my 773 on the first sheep hunt I brought it on this season. Could identify rams from miles away. For hunting on the same mountain that your currently on, the 553 is plenty of magnification at 45x as it’s so sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntnful

WKR
I've ran the Kowa 554 for 2 seasons now. It is EXCELLENT. A no brainer purchase if the high cost isn't an issue. BUT, now I find myself wanting a little more magnification and larger objective to clear up some of that haze that comes at the higher power. I never glass with the spotter, just use it to verify what I'm finding with my binos and to phoneskope. I'd say the 15-45X55 is sufficient out to about 1.5 miles for making distinct characters out on an animal. I can get killer footage within 1000 yards though.

Ill be adding a bigger spotter to the arsenal for sure, but that little Kowa is badass and will always stay an option for certain hunts!

I've ran the Kowa 554 for 2 seasons now. It is EXCELLENT. A no brainer purchase if the high cost isn't an issue. BUT, now I find myself wanting a little more magnification and larger objective to clear up some of that haze that comes at the higher power. I never glass with the spotter, just use it to verify what I'm finding with my binos and to phoneskope. I'd say the 15-45X55 is sufficient out to about 1.5 miles for making distinct characters out on an animal. I can get killer footage within 1000 yards though.

Ill be adding a bigger spotter to the arsenal for sure, but that little Kowa is badass and will always stay an option for certain hunts!
Not sure what haze you're referring to. You might want to have that checked out. My 554 is as crisp and sharp at 45X as it is at 15X, and everywhere in between.

I started with fixed 20X scopes many years ago in CO. First major upgrade was a non-HD Leupold 12-40x60 Gold Ring. It maxed out about 30X to my eyes with 40X being worse resolution than 30X. I replaced it with the HD version and could use the new Leupold all the way to 40X.

Then I moved to BC and started hunting Stone sheep, counting age rings, looking at Bighorns for horn length (and Stones) versus jaw (or bridge of nose) and caribou for 6 points (5 up top and a back tine) and tri-palm moose. My Leupold was compared to a Swaro 20-60x65HD and shortly I sold the Leopold and got a Swaro for the extra resolution. I later added a phone scope too, and have been satisfied with it paired with Swarovision 10x42ELs.

I did pick up a Nikon ELD50HD with the 13-30 eye piece and use it occasionally where distances are shorter and age or antler point numbers aren't critical. I have the phone scope adaptor for it, but resolution isn't up to Swaro quality, and I had some trouble with determining points on a caribou at a kilometer and a half a couple yrs back so take the Swaro now.

Good luck!

huntnful

WKR
Not sure what haze you're referring to. You might want to have that checked out. My 554 is as crisp and sharp at 45X as it is at 15X, and everywhere in between.
Haze in the air in general. Not necessarily with the spotter itself. To get up to those 60X, you need a big objective to cut through that shit. If the air is clear and crisp, you wont have it anyways. But when its warm and wavy, it makes a huge difference. Even at the same power. Ive put little Kowa side by side to my buddies Leica with 80mm objective and the bigger objective made a night and day difference. I couldn't make out a set of antlers at a mile just do to the nature of the air, and with my buddies leica right next to me, on the same power, it was as crisp as could be.

Haze in the air in general. Not necessarily with the spotter itself. To get up to those 60X, you need a big objective to cut through that shit. If the air is clear and crisp, you wont have it anyways. But when its warm and wavy, it makes a huge difference. Even at the same power. Ive put little Kowa side by side to my buddies Leica with 80mm objective and the bigger objective made a night and day difference. I couldn't make out a set of antlers at a mile just do to the nature of the air, and with my buddies leica right next to me, on the same power, it was as crisp as could be.
Even with a STX95 you still see thermals at least here in AZ.