15’ Carbon Spyder Turbo

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a 2015 carbon Spyder turbo. Mint condition. It’s a huge upgrade from the Reflex Excursion I’ve been shooting for the last 15 years. I want to set this thing up properly. Stabilizers, new sight and all. It came with a Hoyt drop away rest which is completely new to me as I’ve been using a whisker biscuit. I plan on taking it to my local shop soon to get the draw length turned down from 29 to 28. I also want to pick up a sight and some new arrows. Bow is set to 70lbs. Can you guys give me some suggestions on what sights, stabilizers and arrows to look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
It’s got the Z5 cams

packer58

WKR
Good advice from Beendare, take it to a shop that preferably sells and works on Hoyt bows. I'm guessing your current rest is QAD branded for Hoyt and is a fine rest. As far as arrows go there are a ton of choices out there but IMO you can't go to far wrong with the Easton arrows, B-Stinger stabilizers are also quality and very popular on hunting rigs. I believe you'll have to have the modules changed out to drop a full inch in draw length also.

Zac

WKR
Alot of options. Would have helped to know your price range but I'll be generic. You can use any stabilizer system you want. I'd use Conquest stabilizers by Black Eagle. Or Quattro, or Cutter. Your rest is fine, if you want to upgrade only place to go is Hamskea, or the new Vapor Trail. Sights I'd go with Spot Hogg, or Montana Black Gold. I really like micro adjustable pins, however the cheaper versions will work. Just make sure you have a 3rd Axis. Plenty of good strings as well, I like Gas Ghost. Heard the new Bloodline strings are pretty badass as well. I'd probably use something from Easton as well. Axis, or the new 6.5 Hunter shafts should do just fine. Black Eagle is also a very reputable company, just have to be careful with some of their components. The new Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver is also nice, doesn't rattle as much as the 7.

Marble

WKR
Same bow I have except my limbs are 65#. Pulls at 67#. I've experimented with 460 to 520 grain Axis, 340 and 300 spine, and have finally landed where I think I need to be. The Z5 cam seems to like that stiffer arrow. I put a string on year before last and they are still in great shape.

For tuning, the guy that put it together set the rest and nock point to Hoyt specs. Yolk tuned through paper and then we made very minor adjustments on the rest. Just recently I had to put a few twists in the string and all is well.

I really like the bow. Its forgiving, quiet, fast and accurate.

nphunter

WKR
It’s got the Z5 cams

If it’s a 2015 Turbo it has turbo cams. If its a turbo with Z5 cams it’s a 2014. Two totally different bows.

Accessories really depend on what you are wanting. That QAD is going to be a great rest I’ve ran some version of the QAD since 2009.

Just decide what you like and mostly how much you want to spend. There are so many options out there these days, just pick what you like and try it out. I really like the used market for archery stuff. There are Facebook groups where you can swap stuff and archery talk had a good classifieds section. Buying or trading used gear really helps when figuring out what will work the best for you. So many just go expensive and then get stuck with it because they feel like they made such a huge investment.

My go to sight is the CBE Tek Hybrid, out of our 4 bows in our house we’ve ended up with 3 of them. They are very well made, very durable and light weight. I’ve been running the same one for 8 years since they first came out. Since they’ve added a bunch of fluff to them to try to stay on top of the market which has made them heavier and more expensive. I’ve dragged mine through hundreds of miles of brush and hiked well over a thousand miles with it on my bow, it still functions as new. The last two I purchased like new for around $75 used and IMO they are better than anything on the market today.

My go to rest is a QAD HDX, most of them I pick up used and they always work great. That is most likely the rest already on your bow.

Tightspot quivers are on mine and my sons hunting bows. Our other bows don’t use quivers they use hip quivers for 3D to save on weight.

I only have small rubber vibration dampeners on all the bows besides mine for stabilizers. Honestly they are over rated, unless your making long shots or shooting for score they are not necessary at all. Half the time I leave mine in the case unless I’m hunting open sage country where I know I may need to stretch out a shot. In the woods it’s just one more thing to snag in brush. My stabilize i do have is a fuse 8.5” carbon blade with a 1” quick disconnect setup.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the replies guys. I have a lot to think about. It is in fact a 2014 model I was incorrect. I have been looking at the micro adjust sights I really like that idea. Thanks for the swap and used suggestions. I have a couple SG bags laying around I think I could talk someone into trading a sight for.

Really appreciate all your help!

Jimbob

WKR
I have the same bow and I am just about to sell it. I just could never get the accuracy out of it I expected. I decided to buy a new bow and I'm not shooting a vertix now but the hoyt is still hanging in the garage.

My 2014 CST drew long (about 3/8" long). I didn't like the wood grip and put side plates on which I loved but this put the draw 1/2" too long. I should have ordered shorter mods but I didn't figure all this out until I got my new bow. The wood grip caused some torque because I was drawing a touch long and this bow is not forgiving. The side plates removed the torque issues but my bow shoulder couldn't handle the longer draw and would collapse.

So make sure you get the correct draw length and make sure you can shoot it. I spent too long trying to make this bow work for me.

I had it set-up with a tommy hogg, tightspot, 12" bstinger and QAD.

They definitely have some tuning quirks. Mine ate cables like crazy and was a bear to tune, but I loved it when everything was right. Make sure to take it to the right person, and make dang sure they get it right.

nphunter

WKR
I had zero issues tuning my 2014 with Z5 cams. Tuned great and I only went through two sets of strings in 7 hard years use. Killed several deer and a couple elk with it.

Marble

WKR
I had zero issues tuning my 2014 with Z5 cams. Tuned great and I only went through two sets of strings in 7 hard years use. Killed several deer and a couple elk with it.
This is my expereince too. At first it was difficult to get it to tune, but once it was set, it didnt need adjustment for 2 or 3 years. Just a few months ago the timing was off and we put a few twists in the string. Other than that, its fast, very accurate, forgiving and quiet. It is light...which is good and bad. Nice to carry, but it doesnt hold like my defiant.

I really like the bow. I start shooting it usually in late june and through September. Then it gets put away.