15 Degree - Bag or Quilt

Benjblt

WKR
I'm looking at getting a warmer bag, 15 degrees or warmer. I'm intrigued by the idea of a quilt as I've never owned one. Maybe it's not the best idea to try it on a warmer bag. Thoughts? Should I just go for a mummy and call it a day? I realize it's a bit of personal preference when weighing out the pros and cons between a mummy and a quilt but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Have you considered layering bags? Like one inside the other - you can cover warm, cool and ridiculously cold that way with one system. That is what is going on with the design of the military sleep systems.
Check out wiggys and give him a call and talk about it https://www.wiggys.com/ he might be able to guide you in a direction particular to your needs.
Military sleep systems work well but can be heavy and bulky so something like wiggys or one you assemble yourself will work better. Your system might have a quilt for warm weather, a bag and then both together for ridiculously cold, for example.
Something to consider anyways.

I layer two quilts, both are 30 degrees. One is synthetic and one is down. Down goes inside. Both are made by Enlightened Equipment and the model is the Convert. I chose this model because it is the most versatile. I can use it as a blanket, quilt or bag and they zip together….My only con is that the zipper can be a bit finicky but it isn’t enough to not use them. I have use these quilts in Colorado and Alaska, but only in Colorado in the winter, down to -5. I sleep on a cot (helinox) as well, so that also helps me stay warmer. I hope this helps.

Quilts are for some but not for all. It takes a bit of practice to learn how not to roll over and let in big drafts. Unfortunately you won’t know if it is for you until you try it a few cold nights. I have one of those converts that @justinspicher mentions above. A hybrid solution worth considering. You can also open up a bag and lay under it if you like.

for me, quilts and blankets (or zipped open bags) are great down to about 40*. Once I get to freezing or below I want a bag.

CoStick

WKR
I use a zero degree EE down quilt year round in CO for the most part. Pretty versatile

mlgc20

WKR
I have a 0 degree quilt and a couple of 30 degree quilts. Those will cover any situation I will face. I would never consider going back to a mummy bag. The quilt is so much more comfortable for me.

Phaseolus

WKR
Have you considered layering bags? Like one inside the other - you can cover warm, cool and ridiculously cold that way with one system. That is what is going on with the design of the military sleep systems.
Check out wiggys and give him a call and talk about it https://www.wiggys.com/ he might be able to guide you in a direction particular to your needs.
Military sleep systems work well but can be heavy and bulky so something like wiggys or one you assemble yourself will work better. Your system might have a quilt for warm weather, a bag and then both together for ridiculously cold, for example.
Something to consider anyways.
Some of what Jerry says might even be true

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I really like the layering idea. What about using the current 30 degree bag and then buying a 30 degree quilt?

I prefer bags at really low temps, though it's been years since I switched to hammocks. I love being up off the ground in cold weather, away from the freezing ground.

Jcott948

FNG
Quilts are so much lighter and pack smaller in my experience. No issue with rollover draft in hammocks. Hammocking gives you so many more options to sleep in my opinion than trying to find a level footprint for a tent. I recommend a sewn foot box instead of zippered or cinch. Match your under with your over quilts in most cases to obtain the required rating for your situation. Hammock Gear is tough to beat for the price and quality.

Fully agree about the sewn footbox. For people just getting into hammocking and transitioning to cold weather you can also just take an old mummy bag and create a Pea Pod:

Felix40

WKR
I was convinced to use a quilt by people on this forum and on podcasts. I used it for several years thinking it was the best option. A few months ago I was given a high end sleeping bag and it is better than the quilt in every way. Only 3 ounces heavier but it’s more user friendly and warmer. I sold my quilt and will be sticking with bags now. I drank the cool aid for a few years but my eyes have been opened now.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I layered last year and think it’s a cool combo.

Have a 30 deg down mummy bag (but comfort for it is 28 so it is rated much higher than most and should be a 20deg bag). It’s 1lb 6 oz.

And use a 50deg quilt. This is 10oz if I recall.

This combo (weighing just under 2lbs) keeps me comfy down to 10deg or so and I think would suit you.

Benefit is in warmer weather I can use my 30 deg and save weight and in cooler I can get same rating as similar weight 15 deg bag or so. It’s a good combo for me anyway.

All in cost for both was under $400.

Last edited:

ahenry82

FNG
Just did Backcountry hunt in Montana bought a hyke and byke mummy 15degree bag, it worked great really warm

My cold weather quilt experiment was short lived. To hell with that, If it’s below freezing i want that heat locked in without worrying about moving in the wrong way and getting drafts of cold air.

Totoro

WKR
I am gonna experiment this season, I got a selection from WM that have been proven comfortable for me.

The last 3 years been running EE and I haven't been disappointed.

Just got a 0F Enigma 850 that tipps in at 29oz.

That said, as I get older I find myself disliking the "cramped" feeling of a zipped up mummy. And now enjoying a little more freedom of movement with a quilt.

Jcott948

FNG
I was convinced to use a quilt by people on this forum and on podcasts. I used it for several years thinking it was the best option. A few months ago I was given a high end sleeping bag and it is better than the quilt in every way. Only 3 ounces heavier but it’s more user friendly and warmer. I sold my quilt and will be sticking with bags now. I drank the cool aid for a few years but my eyes have been opened now.
Lots of kool aid flavors out there if you know what I mean lol 😆 (depends what everybodies talking about). Which bag do you have? Definitely not opposed to trying different stuff. Thanks

Blandry

WKR
I'd actually recommend a quilt with the sleeping pads R values now days. pay the extra for the draft collar

TOTALLY dependent upon WEIGHT which seems to be the thing on this forum.. I mean if weight isn't an issue, get a REAL bag for christs sake. They make lightweight ones.

It really depends on your sleeping temp. I sleep at SUPER high temp and don't really need a low temp bag. I can sit around around camp in low 20s with a bag liner on my legs https://seatosummit.com/products/thermolite-reactor-fleece-liner

My cold points are hands/feet/ears and that can be remedied with sleeping with your gear on in the field..

We're talking about field, not home where I sleep in my skivs or even natural most nights lol

Last edited: