15 degree bag

Wapiti23

FNG
I’m looking at getting a 15 degree bag to pair up with Q Core SLX insulated pad. What do you guys recommend? Budget maybe $450. Used for late October with a SO Tipi with stove.

rayporter

WKR
that bag would not be near enough for me, in late october. my old pard took a 15 degree bag and was happy down to below zero. i would want at least a zero bag.

know thyself!

OP
Wapiti23

Wapiti23

FNG
Is synthetic a better fill? Most of my hunts won’t be in damp climates but anything can happen on the mountain. I think a 15 bag will be just fine for myself. I sleep hot and will always have my base layers or puffy cloths.

Synthetic is heavier but still retains insulation properties when wet. Down is lighter and compresses smaller. With DWR treated down most people are going with down especially when getting into the lower temps.
I myself went with a quilt for most trips but have a -15 degree bag for the cold ones. The benefit of this setup is I can combine them for really frigid conditions.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went with a Feathered Friends Flicker 20 degree bag- it's part quilt, part sleeping bag; I opted for a couple of additional ounces of fill and it's a solid 15 degree bag.

I have a 50 degree Apex insulated quilt that has a "poncho" hole in that I use when glassing if my layers and puffy aren't enough. Combined with the above Flicker I have a solid 0 degree system- it's not unusual for mountain weather to be a little off of forecasts.

Pretty flexible setup. The Flicker should be right within your budget, worth a peek.

idahojtg

FNG
I've been using a marmot helium 15 degree bag for a few years. Has kept me plenty warm, and within your budget.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I prefer the semi rec shape from western mountaineering over the traditional mummy shape. More room in the shoulders and hips since I’m a stomach/side sleeper.

If that interests you check out the Ponderosa MF from them. You can get it from Hermits Hut which I highly recommend for the free overfill and a great small company.