15* down bag Mountain Hardwear vs Nemo

Slappy

FNG
Hello all,

I have an upcoming hunting trip and am in search of a 15* bag. This trip will require backpacking in to some remote locations, so I’m trying to be conscious of weight and pack size. The two bags I’m currently looking at are the Mountain Hardwear Rook and the NEMO Disco. I am also interested in the Riff, however it is currently sold out. The reason I’m considering these bags is due to the discounts I can get with these brands.

I guess I’m just curious if anyone has any input on these bags, specifically the rook. All opinions are welcome. If I’m off base and should be looking in another direction please let me know. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would be watching forum classifieds here and on backpackinglight to find a good used bag, if you get discounts on those you should be getting discounts on BA stuff as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Have you checked out the Outdoor Vitals yet? Looks like good stuff without the big mark ups. I'm leaning towards one now.
There's a review in this sub forum to read

Mountain hardware is along par if not better then a few of the western mountaineering bags, especially the Pertex® Quantum Shell models. You get you money’s worth if you are on F&F that’s for sure

with that said MH suffers due to sizing. Their new bags are very slim IMO

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the 15 degree Nemo Riff, which I bought last year. It is the previous model, i.e., shaped like the Disco.

I've thus far logged a week on a remote pack-raft float during the first week in September, as well as a two-week remote drop moose hunt the last two weeks of that month. Temps were well below freezing for about a half to a third of those nights. I really like the Riff. I can compress it down really easily for transport. The zipper worked well without any snagging. The vents were handy and effective when the temps were warmer. The unique shape of the bag was very comfortable because I change positions often when sleeping. The folding collar was really comfortable and effective during nights with colder temps, and it was easily flipped out and out of the way when it was warmer. The only thing I don't particularly like is the depth of the hood, i.e., it comes down over my face when my head is at the top of the hood. I was able to off-set that dislike by inserting my pillow into the pocket designed for a pillow, which kept my head from going all the way to the top of the hood while sleeping.

I'll be keeping my Nemo.

Last edited:

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
At 3.3lbs the MH Rook isn't exactly a lightweight sac. Have you looked at the REI Magma

MH lists the Rook 15 as 2lb 6.5oz without stuffsack. Where are you getting the 3.3lb number?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
S

Slappy

FNG
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up placing an order for the Outdoor Vitals Summit 15* bag. I will throw up a review after my hunt.

OP
S

Slappy

FNG
Did you get the new model with the center zip? Just ordered the -15* and am questioning if I will like it.

That is Correct, I got the new model with the center zip. Unfortunately due to the state of the world right now, my NZ Tahr and Red Stag hunt has been canceled. I am now shifting gears and trying to get something figured out for a Fall Montana Mule Deer hunt. Once I get out and use the bag, ill post my thoughts.

Man I would like to get your thoughts on the OV Summit bag. Seems like a really good value. Not sure about the center zip.
I got the -15 degree summit back in March. It was a limited run and it doesn’t look like they brought it back. I love the bag. I was on the fence on the center zip but after using it it has two benefits.
1.Easier to get into with a hammock.
2. Side sleeper. As a side sleeper with traditional bags I am either sleeping on the zipper or it is on top, either makes it hard to control venting heat.
I have to admit the -15 degree bag is a bit too warm for most of the year. So I plan on getting another bag and at the price two for my kids.

I got the -15 degree summit back in March. It was a limited run and it doesn’t look like they brought it back. I love the bag. I was on the fence on the center zip but after using it it has two benefits.
1.Easier to get into with a hammock.
2. Side sleeper. As a side sleeper with traditional bags I am either sleeping on the zipper or it is on top, either makes it hard to control venting heat.
I have to admit the -15 degree bag is a bit too warm for most of the year. So I plan on getting another bag and at the price two for my kids.

Thanks for reply. Venting slightly is the issue I see with center zip. with side zip you can upzip let out heat but still have the top of bag draped over you, giving some comfort. with centerzip it seems all or nothing. need to vent you have to unzip, but now you have nothing on top letting cool air settle in.

I sleep on my side for the most part. In doing so it puts the zipper on the side making incremental venting easier. If you sleep on your back you may not like this bag.