$1500 300 win mag opinions?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I hunted this year with a Kimber montana 300wm. My buddy had the ascent. Both were great guns and havnt found anything to complain about with either. These were our first Kimber rifles and would buy another. I read ALOT about them before purchase and consensus was good. The accuracy is hard to argue with as well. Strongly recommend a muzzle break on a lightweight 300

I’ve had several members pas through my hands. A Montana 308 is one of my favorite rifles I’ve ever had. I badly want a 300wm Montana.

OP
Desk Jockey
Out of those listed it would be either the Mesa or Kimber. I would also throw in another vote for the Xbolt in any configuration depending on your needs.

The Sako would absolutely be a no go for me as well with the 1-11. Why handicap yourself right off the bat?

I am not much of a long range rifle guy. Although I am now set up to reload but I am normally a factory load shooter. If I go deep down the hand loading rabbit hole, I would expect to go in a different direction with the rifle too.

I would probably be slinging 180s at under 400 yards.

is a 1/11 twist rate really going to be a handicap for that kind of usage?

Brendan

WKR
I am not much of a long range rifle guy. Although I am now set up to reload but I am normally a factory load shooter. If I go deep down the hand loading rabbit hole, I would expect to go in a different direction with the rifle too.

I would probably be slinging 180s at under 400 yards.

is a 1/11 twist rate really going to be a handicap for that kind of usage?

Shouldn't matter for 180's unless you start wanting to reload copper or shoot heavier. For example, let's say you want to reload a cutting edge MTH 180 copper. Required twist rate for that bullet is 1-10". 165 MTH is also 1-10" but 165 Lazer is 1-11" as are some of the Hammer Bullets, so not like there aren't options.

If you want to shoot the Berger 215, you'd probably need 1-10" or faster.

If you really have no need or desire to shoot heavier / longer bullets (and don't think you will) then it doesn't matter.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
It’s important to identify what type of bullet you will shoot before you by a rifle. Perceived twist rate woes is like a game of telephone on this forum. In some cases it really matters, but only when the shooter chooses bullets that are way outside the traditional norm.

I have personally had issues with a 7RM and various .22 centerfires when I chose to tinker with heavy or very long bullets. When I build loads, that stay within typical weight bands the rifles are perfect.

I see so many posts stating that 1-10 or ***** won’t ever work for anything over 150 grain bullets. These stories get taken and repeated over and over until it becomes a “truth”.I shoot with a bunch of guys (and my own loads) that contradict so many of these twist rate statements.

My 1-11 .300WM is great with everything up to a .208 grain for me in my rifle. I have never tried anything heavier and it could very well be fine with more. At some point, its also a matter of diminishing returns. Why ask a .300WM to do what an Ultra mag or .338 was designed for? If one wants to shoot 225 grain bullets a .300WM is probably not the best platform.

A 7RM, .300, 30-06, etc...are all more than capable of taking elk at 500 yards with typical for caliber bullet weights. If you are thinking about, building loads with heavy bullets twist rates may matter more.

Brendan

WKR
My 1-11 .300WM is great with everything up to a .208 grain for me in my rifle. I have never tried anything heavier and it could very well be fine with more. At some point, its also a matter of diminishing returns. Why ask a .300WM to do what an Ultra mag or .338 was designed for? If one wants to shoot 225 grain bullets a .300WM is probably not the best platform.

One comment I want to make on this. The 300 Win Mag is the ideal platform for the Berger 215 Hybrid if you're a handloader. Speeds from 2850-3000 fps with a 215 grain bullet with the ballistics it has are pretty incredible (Mine is running right around 2900 with H1000). And, for that bullet you're probably not going to make it happen with a 1-11".

I agree though, if you're never going to shoot a bullet that requires faster twist, then don't worry about it.

OP
Desk Jockey
Shouldn't matter for 180's unless you start wanting to reload copper or shoot heavier. For example, let's say you want to reload a cutting edge MTH 180 copper. Required twist rate for that bullet is 1-10". 165 MTH is also 1-10" but 165 Lazer is 1-11" as are some of the Hammer Bullets, so not like there aren't options.

If you want to shoot the Berger 215, you'd probably need 1-10" or faster.

If you really have no need or desire to shoot heavier / longer bullets (and don't think you will) then it doesn't matter.
Thanks. Hadn’t actually thought about the copper issue. I am only shooting copper from my creedmor at this point. If I hunt this 300, I’d want to shoot copper as well. great point.

Brendan

WKR
Thanks. Hadn’t actually thought about the copper issue. I am only shooting copper from my creedmor at this point. If I hunt this 300, I’d want to shoot copper as well. great point.

It's not like there aren't options for copper, but you might end up running lighter than you expect (and, fast...) Check out the Cutting Edge and Hammer sites if those are bullets you're considering. They list a minimum twist for each bullet.