$1500 or $2500, what would you get?

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

After my last post looking for suggestions on a 600 yard caliber I have decided to go with the .300 WSM or the .300 WinMag.

Not including scope and mounts, If “you” were buying a new rifle with the above budgets what would you get for each?

If you are one who would build or semi custom build your own please be specific with what parts you would use, as I have no experience in doing this.

I would really like to hear about the rifles you would choose and the reasons you would go with that choice.

Thanks so much!

Wapack

FNG
I know it’s below budget but I’m a Tikka guy. I’ve not had one that wouldn’t shoot great. Actually I don’t know of anyone personally that has had one that wouldn’t shoot. There limited on mag length but there’s a bunch of aftermarket solutions to that problem. I have been thinking of a 300WSM or 338 Sherman my self...

Last edited:
OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Also I would like to keep the rifle itself at 7lbs or less.

Defiance Ti action, Hart fluted barrel, MDT bottom metal or bottom metal of your choice (if you want to shoot heavy bullets you will need wyatts) and the stock of your choice.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
In the $1500 range, take a look at the Savage Ultralite in 300 WSM. People seem to be having good luck with accuracy and it should be around the 6 lb mark. I picked one up in 280 ackley this past weekend. I’ve only shot a few groups so far for break in but it looks promising.

Zbot

WKR
Cabela’s just had the Savage Long Range Hunter on sale, plus a rebate. Could use the rest on a great scope.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Defiance Ti action, Hart fluted barrel, MDT bottom metal or bottom metal of your choice (if you want to shoot heavy bullets you will need wyatts) and the stock of your choice.
Thanks for the reply. Do you just order all this and take it to a gunsmith to assemble then. Really haven’t done any custom work so this part is all new to me.

WKR
Browning Xbolt, lots of models. I have the Max Long Range in 300 Win Mag, 1 in 8 twist. Tack driver!!!!!!!! Shot my elk this year at 505 yards!!!!!
I have an 8 twist barrel on the shelf. What load are you using in your 8 twist 300?

Cabela’s just had the Savage Long Range Hunter on sale, plus a rebate. Could use the rest on a great scope.

I bought one of these during their clearance sale. Seems like a great deal. I am waiting for scope rings to mount a Vortex PST gen 1 I bought on here for a great price. For less than $1k I am hoping to have a great longer range hunting set up.

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
The Oregon mountain tikka build is a good deal, you can also order a pre fit barrel from carbon six or many other manufacturers in and weight and length configuration, run a 2 piece brake and an alterra carbon stock. You would be well under your 7 lb weight for rifle only. You would probably be at of below 6.5 lbs. the trigger spring is a great upgrade, and the tikka actions are nice should be able to build a nice semi custom rifle all in the 2500$ range

Thanks for the reply. Do you just order all this and take it to a gunsmith to assemble then. Really haven’t done any custom work so this part is all new to me.
If you are asking this , you do NOT have the skills, knowledge, abilities and tools to do it yourself; few do. If you have a smith that you trust, talk to your smith. If not, there are likely a few very good smiths near you; make another post with your general location and ask about smiths others here have used for customs that are close to you.

I feel like the 300wm is going to be a long term solution for you, buy a factory rifle and shoot the hell out of it. Tikka and Vortex are never the answer btw.....

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
$2500--If you can work a wrench....

Origin action, 850 or Nucleus action used 900
Proof CFor Carbon Six prefit barrel, 700-800
Steel prefit 400
Trigger Tech Primary, 150
AG Composite stock, 700
Go/no go gauges 100

All it takes is a torque wrench and following instructions to use the gauges.

$1500 budget--Tikka with an upgrade to the stock. Also, the Savage lightweight with CF Proof barrel are good value. Accuracy is mostly in the barrel.

Apollo117

WKR
$2500--If you can work a wrench....

Origin action, 850 or Nucleus action used 900
Proof CFor Carbon Six prefit barrel, 700-800
Steel prefit 400
Trigger Tech Primary, 150
AG Composite stock, 700
Go/no go gauges 100

All it takes is a torque wrench and following instructions to use the gauges.

$1500 budget--Tikka with an upgrade to the stock. Also, the Savage lightweight with CF Proof barrel are good value. Accuracy is mostly in the barrel.
That's almost everything a person would need. Add these too:

Torque Wrench: $45 (Wisdom)
Barrel vice: $75 (Wheeler)
Action Vice: $75 (Wheeler)

If you're gonna list go and no go gauges, you may as well like the wrench and vices too.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like the 300wm is going to be a long term solution for you, buy a factory rifle and shoot the hell out of it. Tikka and Vortex are never the answer btw.....
Thanks for the reply.
I would like to hear your thoughts on the Tikka.
for glass I have a Leupold VX 5 I will use on the rifle.

B23

WKR
I'd consider a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in either 300 Win or 300 PRC. That's a full custom rifle with CF barrel for under 1900 bucks. Lot of gun for the money, I'm not a big fan of belted cases and with Lapua making 300 PRC brass in 2021 my vote would be 300 PRC but the 300 Winnie has been around for a long time for good reason so it's a good one too.