$1500 or $2500, what would you get?

Cheesehead

Lil-Rokslider
I was in this boat recently and picked up a gently used Cooper Arms Jackson Hunter in 300 wm for ~$1400. I would look at that, or gussied up Tikka if you're on the low end.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply. Do you just order all this and take it to a gunsmith to assemble then. Really haven’t done any custom work so this part is all new to me.
I did this for my most recent rifle. I enjoyed it because I got to pick out everything I wanted and my smith made it happen. If you find a good smith he will help/advise you along the way.

madcalfe

WKR
I'd consider a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in either 300 Win or 300 PRC. That's a full custom rifle with CF barrel for under 1900 bucks. Lot of gun for the money, I'm not a big fan of belted cases and with Lapua making 300 PRC brass in 2021 my vote would be 300 PRC but the 300 Winnie has been around for a long time for good reason so it's a good one too.
Christensen isnt a full custom rifle lol its a mass manufactured rifle.... i own one, i think id do a semi custom tikka build before buying another Christensen

Flyjunky

WKR
There's quite a few rifles that would be good in the $1500 range....xbolt, CA, tikka, etc.

With that being said, go to the general forum and read the "buy once, cry once" lessons thread. If you're willing to spend $2500 on a rifle I'd suggest adding another $500-$700 and building a fully custom. You could go defiant action, great barrel (HCA, Proof, Bartlein, etc), McMillan stock, bottom metal, Trigger Tech and have a rifle you'll never have regrets with.

Just my $.01

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
If you don’t want to go custom, then Tikka all the way any day. Plus if you want to change calibers, get a Tikka prefit barrel. CF if you want to save on weight.

I really like this tread, as I think too many people get wrapped up into thinking you NEED a custom build to shoot long range or have a reliable caliber in your safe that you can take out and shoot 500+ yards with. I am NO expert, and there is 1,000 ways to skin the cat, but below is what I did:

.300 Win Mag - Browning X-bolt - stated earlier in this thread, there are a ton of models to choose from now - I personally didn't buy any fancy models with fluted barrels, built in muzzle breaks, adjustable comb, etc. Instead, I spent $1000 on a more basic X-bolt knowing I would then have some more cash to spend elsewhere.

Then, go get some nice optics, you don't necessarily have to spend $2,500 here, but I would shop around for the BEEEEST thing you can find for around $1,000.00 - there are some awesome optics out there for this price range - Vortex, Burris, etc. Pair this with some high quality rings and bases. I equipped mine with TPS rings and EGW rail.

I am also a firm believer of good comb adjustment but the basic model X-bolt I bought didn't come with this feature. I also wasn't too keen at the time on drilling holes through the stock of my rifle so I bought a Bear Tooth cheek pad with adjustable cheep pads. This was recommended to me from a buddy that was an active SWAT team member and I have been very impressed so I equip almost every shotgun and rifle I have with one.

I had just enough money to buy a good bi-pod when I was finished.

With all that said, you will need to shoot custom loads in order to get the consistency out of a factory rifle. I am shooting 168 gr. Berger VLDs (I hunt primarily whitetails and mule deer with mine - but wouldn't be scared to shoot elk or bigger game). A good friend of mine at the time reloaded them for me and spent countless hours adjusting bullet seat, powder, bullets, you name it! He is now my brother-in-law so I don't feel bad asking for more when I need them :ROFLMAO:. After alllllll that, if you're still reading, my point is..... I can now take this 100% FACTORY rifle out that I spent a total of $2,500 on and consistently shoot 600 yards.

If you can spend the money, I would go with a good custom build and have a rifle of a lifetime where you start shooting at 500 yards, but... you don't have to. It really comes down to exactly what you're looking for and what the maximum potential you're expecting to get out of your rifle. Also, don't forget, I spent hours and hundreds of rounds down range before I was comfortable and consistent out to that distance.

Hope y'all enjoyed! Again, I am NO expert but 10 years ago when I was a broke stick in college I was wanting to do the same exact thing and I feel like I accomplished my goal doing the above!

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 55

SDHNTR

WKR
$2500 will get you a custom Maverick from Alamo Precision. THE best value in firearms today. Why people would spend the same amount of money to soup up a factory tikka is beyond me, when you could have a genuine custom built on a Defiance action with a Muellerworks barrel, AG Composites stock and Triggertech trigger for the same price. No brainer!

Xbolts shoot great. Took my elk 1108 yds this year with my hells canyon LR. Bergara rifles might be worth looking into also. I have a B14 hunter that shoots factory ammo incredibly well.

$2500 will get you a custom Maverick from Alamo Precision. THE best value in firearms today. Why people would spend the same amount of money to soup up a factory tikka is beyond me, when you could have a genuine custom built on a Defiance action with a Muellerworks barrel, AG Composites stock and Triggertech trigger for the same price. No brainer!
The primary benefit of a custom is you get it your way. Another potential benefit is that a custom may be more consistent that a COTS rifle.

There is no guarantee that a custom rifle will be any more accurate than a COTS rifle with well developed handloads.

I have a couple Savages and a couple of Tikkas regularly hang with significantly more expensive custom rifles. They may not always win but they are always competitive.

At a range in Texas, I did see a $500 setup (Ruger in 270 Win topped with a Vortex Crossfire and commercial Winchester ABLR) be very competitive $12K custom (precision shooting and not for hunting). The delta in group size was surprisingly small.

The great thing is that we can spend our money how went to when it comes to firearms (at least for now). If a custom is what works for you, then knock yourself out.

The primary benefit of a custom is you get it your way. Another potential benefit is that a custom may be more consistent that a COTS rifle.

There is no guarantee that a custom rifle will be any more accurate than a COTS rifle with well developed handloads.

I have a couple Savages and a couple of Tikkas regularly hang with significantly more expensive custom rifles. They may not always win but they are always competitive.

At a range in Texas, I did see a $500 setup (Ruger in 270 Win topped with a Vortex Crossfire and commercial Winchester ABLR) be very competitive $12K custom (precision shooting and not for hunting). The delta in group size was surprisingly small.

The great thing is that we can spend our money how went to when it comes to firearms (at least for now). If a custom is what works for you, then knock yourself out.
I couldn't agree more. A factory rifle equipped the right way will compete, this was my point. If you can afford it, a custom rifle is an awesome tool to have, but under a budget you can compete with those 12k guys all day ;)

Christesen Arms Ridgeline or Ridgeline Titanium in 300 win mag. Hands hown a great value with all the perks of a full custom at 1/2 the cost.

Just a word of caution, my 308 Ridgeline struggled for a long time to shoot anything under 1.5”. Sent it back to them and they put a new barrel on it. Still shot facorey ammo poorly, finally found a reload that it will shoot 5 shots into 1/2” at 100 yards. That was just yesterday and I’ve owned the rifle for over a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
A $500 inexpensive production set up is not what we are discussing here. We were talking about a $2500 high end or modified production gun, versus a $2500 custom gun. In my opinion, the custom wins that fight every time!

ianpadron

WKR
You can spend a hell of a lot of money on a custom that won't outshoot a Christensen rifle. Wouldn't trade my Ridgeline for another gun PERIOD.

Also, if 600 yards is the goal, I wouldn't be looking at a magnum cartridge, save yourself some recoil and powder and go with a lighter cartridge!

Last rifle I bought for hunting and steel banging was budget oriented, I got a Christensen arms Mesa in 300 PRC. It's one of my favorite rifles to shoot and use it for everything. When I got it, the big selling point was cheap factory ammo. I was getting the Hornady 225 ELD-M for $40.00 a box. Never going to see those prices. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to buy another Christensen Arms. In fact a Ridgeline 280AI is next on my list!

Wassid82

WKR
I would buy the 300 win mag for a slightly wider range bullet selection and I would look for it in a tikka or x bolt........I bought mine "used" for sub 1k then I would take the extra money and upgrade the glass to a NightForce.