$1500 or $2500, what would you get?

fierce firearms has some good options in the sub 2500 range, guaranteed .5moa... pretty solid rifle for the dough. a friend has one, and seems to be a great rifle for the money

Alexjay

FNG
I would take a look at the Sako S20. No experience with is but is a rifle that I am interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
You can spend a hell of a lot of money on a custom that won't outshoot a Christensen rifle. Wouldn't trade my Ridgeline for another gun PERIOD.

Also, if 600 yards is the goal, I wouldn't be looking at a magnum cartridge, save yourself some recoil and powder and go with a lighter cartridge!
Lighter cartridge recommendation?

ianpadron

WKR
Lighter cartridge recommendation?
For a 600 yard capable mountain cartridge I'd be plenty happy with a .308, 270 WSM, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 CM, heck even a 7mm08 with the right twist...all short action to give you a slightly lighter rifle.

That 300 WSM would definitely be awesome, especially with a brake, but not necessary if you're limiting shots on game to 600.

Run the ballistics on a 168 grain ELDM pushed out of a .308 at 2850 fps (a factory load from Hornady). All you need out to 600+ for deer, elk, bear, etc.

Hey all,

After my last post looking for suggestions on a 600 yard caliber I have decided to go with the .300 WSM or the .300 WinMag.

Not including scope and mounts, If “you” were buying a new rifle with the above budgets what would you get for each?

If you are one who would build or semi custom build your own please be specific with what parts you would use, as I have no experience in doing this.

I would really like to hear about the rifles you would choose and the reasons you would go with that choice.

Thanks so much!
Take a look at the Bergara Premier series rifles. These are way different than the imports. They are a nice as any custom rifle out there. Hand built by some vets in Georgia. I have the Premier Approach in 6mm creedmoor - its my go to coyote gun. Shoots everything in really tiny groups. Action is so smooth you can’t even feel it chamber a round.

Christesen Arms Ridgeline or Ridgeline Titanium in 300 win mag. Hands hown a great value with all the perks of a full custom at 1/2 the cost.
I agree - I don’t understand all the hate CA gets. I have their BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC and it is a lot of gun for what you pay. Shoots awesome and is one of my favorite rifles.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
fierce firearms has some good options in the sub 2500 range, guaranteed .5moa... pretty solid rifle for the dough. a friend has one, and seems to be a great rifle for the money
^ agree! Very nice rifles and the action is much nicer with the shorter degree bolt throw IMO than what Christensen and other Remington 700 actions provide. I really like Tikka and Sako rifles for this reason...either of those would work in the price range mentioned too...you just won’t get the same finishes in their lower priced offerings compared to the Fierce out of the box.

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
I’m finding myself really wanting a 300prc in the

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7wssm

FNG
Tikkas are insanely awesome shooters for the money and if you ever want more you can custom build of their action

Buck197

WKR
I'm not near so intelligent as alot of folks here gunfire and potential wise. If it were me thought, I'd go buy a Tikka T3x light, depending on how well you handle recoil I'd brake it, and take the rest and talk to Doug at the cameraland about putting a good scope on it, and call Jake at Unknown munitions and order a sample pack, figure out which ammo she liked, and order fifty or a hundred rounds and put some lead downrange, and thats presuming you need more range time. Scope wise, I think id look ar Mavens, or Meopta, or potentially a nikon to maybe mate with their rangefinders...So there's a morons advice for you. Good luck, and whatever you go with, enjoy.

I'm in the process of my first build with about the same budget minus glass.

I went with a Bighorn Origin action, Carbon Six Barrel, Trigger Tech Diamond.
Not sure on a stock yet. I may run it in an HS stock I have then just buy bottom metal/mags for it until I can afford an XLR or Grayboe.

I could probably have saved money going to a steel barrel. But I've always wanted a carbon. And I could have saved coin with a less fancy trigger. Then use a B&C stock.

So you can definitely get into a custom for around 2k bucks. If you have self control... Which I don't lol!

The big thing with those Bighorn actions though is I can put the whole thing together on my kitchen table with a barrel vice. No need for a gunsmith!

I think if I was going to do a factory I'd go with a Seekins then have them chamber it in the same 6.5 SST or maybe a Springfield based on the research I did going into this venture.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Fierce in .300 Win Mag and it's fantastic. I can't imagine any custom rifle being better. 1/2 MOA guarantee, super-smooth action with Sako style extractor, metal detachable mag that fits 4 magnum rounds, carbon fiber stock with a nice palm swell.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
I have a mostly custom (stock rem 700 action that was blueprinted or else it would be full custom) 338LM, and 308, a factory tikka (spring for the trigger is only thing touched) and a bone stock CA mesa TI.

the customs are nice, i got a barrel cut where i can load my choice of bullet touching at mag length, and i know for a fact that they are going to shoot well. Anyone that owns a custom knows they are top notch, everything fits better and is a bit smoother but honestly its for match and ELR shooting not hunting.

the tikka.... what can i say 41.5gr of h4350 behind the 143eld-x and they kiss each other at 100 and stay half moa at 400, cold bore to 5th shot all stay half moa. I would have went with a tikka in 300WM but they do a 1 11 twist which i hear can have issues with heavies and i have a ton of 210VLD's so i planned on shooting them. hence the CA

CA so far the accuracy issues were user error, I though the play i was feeling was the swivel bipod... it was the direct mount rings coming loose (shoulda learned my lession on the 338....) but the first 4 cahrge weights all were under 1MOA so far so good, well see how it holds up to a ladder test tomorrow.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
This 3 shot group is a Fierce Fury with a carbon stock in .300 Win. 200gr Accubonds, 75.5 grains of H4831.

Attachments

• 225AE132-0C5E-40FA-A026-593CE9D4E7E5.jpeg
    225AE132-0C5E-40FA-A026-593CE9D4E7E5.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 8

npm352

WKR
I got a Fierce Fury with the regular steel barrel in 7mm. I used factory ammo with the bullet they recommend for that caliber in Fierce (Barnes 160 tsx). After a 20 round break in and cleaning as recommended I got a .25 inch 3 shot group. Every group is not that tight, but the gun shoots well. I got it at the Hunt Expo a few weeks before COVID and they had a good deal and I'd been shopping and looking for that 1500-2000 range.

In my search I found a lot of good options but chose Fierce and have been pleased this far.

I also have a Bergara B14 that happens to shoot factory loads really well in 6.5cm.

I see a lot of positive comments on Browning...might need to try one sometime.