15x binos under a grand.

jsimonh

FNG
Looking for my first set of binos for LR hunting and use at shooting comps.

I had ordered a set of Steiner HX 15x56 through expertvoice but they went backorder until March so I'm on the hunt again. Been considering the Vortex Kaibabs, the Steiners, Athlon Cronus, and maybe Bushnell Forges. Don't have the need or the budget to go over a grand at this point. Thanks for any and all comments!

Used meopta meostar hds.
They come up on here in the optics classifieds in your budget price range.
When they do jump on them . You will not be sorry.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not an expert in this area. Bought the Bushnell Forge 15x56 last year. They're big, heavy and clear. Ive compared them to my Leopold Gold Ring spotter and Vortex Viper Binos and can see much difference in quality of picture between the three.

OP
J

jsimonh

FNG
I'm not an expert in this area. Bought the Bushnell Forge 15x56 last year. They're big, heavy and clear. Ive compared them to my Leopold Gold Ring spotter and Vortex Viper Binos and can see much difference in quality of picture between the three.
So the Forge binos are more clear than the other optics you mentioned?

Napperm4

WKR
For what it’s worth, I’m a Swaro guy through and through. I have EL’s as my chest pair, I have an stx spotter and some slcs in the mix.

I fully planned on upgrading my 15’s to an Slc pair, but honestly haven’t felt a need to go above my Kababs. There better options, the swaro are definitely better, but for the price. I’m happy and content for the past 4 seasons with the used kaibabs I dipped my toe into the 15x game

OP
J

jsimonh

FNG
That's great to hear. I use Vortex Gen 2s on my rifles, I wouldn't mind ending up with some Vortex binos but wanted to stay open. Ive got a WTB add on snipershide right now for some kaibabs to see if there are any floating around.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
So the Forge binos are more clear than the other optics you mentioned?
I'd say equivalent to the others. Maybe it's like good wine though and my eyes can't differentiate. Either way, i like the clarity and plan to use them for spotting in place of my GR next season.

ShakeDown

WKR
I have had or used several pairs of 15x; Vortex Viper 15x50, Vulture 15x56; Meostar 15x56 and SLC 15x56.

You’d be hard pressed beating the Meostar if you can get them in great shape used for $900.

Last edited:
OP
J

jsimonh

FNG
I'm in no real hurry, so I'll definitely keep an eye out for the Meoptas. I hadn't personally seen any dip into my price range although I wasn't checking all the time. Hopefully some will turn up.

I'm in no real hurry, so I'll definitely keep an eye out for the Meoptas. I hadn't personally seen any dip into my price range although I wasn't checking all the time. Hopefully some will turn up.
Post a want to buy add in the optics classifieds. Just like you there are always guys looking to upgrade to the latest and greatest offerings. Sometimes guys need to offload good gear to make the jump.

OP
J

jsimonh

FNG
Post a want to buy add in the optics classifieds. Just like you there are always guys looking to upgrade to the latest and greatest offerings. Sometimes guys need to offload good gear to make the jump.

I'm a little to new to the site for that just yet. Gotta wait a week and have 10 post in other peoples threads. I'm typically a lurker not a poster so it may take me a while lol

I'm a little to new to the site for that just yet. Gotta wait a week and have 10 post in other peoples threads. I'm typically a lurker not a poster so it may take me a while lol
I started out the same way on here.
I read everything I could and learned a lot about gear. Interact on topics you find interesting and your post count will sky rocket.

I loved my viper vultures in 15s used them for 4 seasons and upgraded to kaibabs in 20x recently. Haven’t used them yet in the field, they’re “better” but not 2x better for 2x the price like most optics.