15x vs 18x binos

bmicek

WKR
I’ve been looking at replacing my spotting scope with 15x or 18x binos. There are a few companies that offer both options. As always, the higher in magnification, the less clarity and light gathering you would achieve. I guess my question is, why one over the other?

My intended use is elk hunting, mule deer hunting, antelope hunting, and open country whitetail hunting. I live in Kansas but planning on hunting some western states for elk/antelope/mule deer. My plan is to pick up a set of high power binos (looking at Mavens, Meopta, Sig Zulu 9, and Vortex Kaibab) and I am also planning on picking up a nice pair of 7-8x binos as well for keeping on my chest. The 15x/18x will be used on a tripod and vehicle window.

I’ve had both the 18x mavens and the 15x mavens.

still have the 15x but sold the 18x. The depth of field was too shallow for me, and they were too shaky on a tripod for my taste. However, you could definitely see more detail with 18x compared to 15x. I could see eye guards at 600 yards in the shade that I could not see with the 15x.

everything is a trade off in optics. I felt like the 15x was just more pleasant and easy to use compared to 18x, and I’ve got a nice spotter already so I didn’t feel like 18x was much advantage.

I’ve had both the 18x mavens and the 15x mavens.

still have the 15x but sold the 18x. The depth of field was too shallow for me, and they were too shaky on a tripod for my taste. However, you could definitely see more detail with 18x compared to 15x. I could see eye guards at 600 yards in the shade that I could not see with the 15x.

everything is a trade off in optics. I felt like the 15x was just more pleasant and easy to use compared to 18x, and I’ve got a nice spotter already so I didn’t feel like 18x was much advantage.
Im in the same predicament and was eyeballing the 18x mavens. My tripod holds my 85mm razor pretty rock solid, would you think the shake would be a non issue then?

Im in the same predicament and was eyeballing the 18x mavens. My tripod holds my 85mm razor pretty rock solid, would you think the shake would be a non issue then?
For me it wasn’t so much a shake issue. I use a slik 773 with Sirui VA-5, so pretty heavy and stable tripod setup.

Compared to the 15s, when I panned around, it was just a lot of movement and somewhat jarring. And when I stopped to look, I needed to refocus quite a bit more. If I was looking much farther, say a mile or so, then it wasn’t an issue. The best comparison I can make would be the difference between glassing with 10x binos and 15x. They are each just ideal for a certain range of distances. Too close, and it’s uncomfortable.

If you prioritize seeing detail with your binos...18x is a good choice. You can certainly field judge better. If you prioritize a seamless glassing experience then I found the 15x to be more usable.

If you plan to glass a lot in the one mile range...18x would be better. If you spend a lot of time looking between say 1000-2000 yards..I think 15x is better.

hope you can make sense of the rambling..feel free to ask any other questions. I’ve since sold off the 18s and will stick with 15s for the foreseeable future.

For me it wasn’t so much a shake issue. I use a slik 773 with Sirui VA-5, so pretty heavy and stable tripod setup.

Compared to the 15s, when I panned around, it was just a lot of movement and somewhat jarring. And when I stopped to look, I needed to refocus quite a bit more. If I was looking much farther, say a mile or so, then it wasn’t an issue. The best comparison I can make would be the difference between glassing with 10x binos and 15x. They are each just ideal for a certain range of distances. Too close, and it’s uncomfortable.

If you prioritize seeing detail with your binos...18x is a good choice. You can certainly field judge better. If you prioritize a seamless glassing experience then I found the 15x to be more usable.

If you plan to glass a lot in the one mile range...18x would be better. If you spend a lot of time looking between say 1000-2000 yards..I think 15x is better.

hope you can make sense of the rambling..feel free to ask any other questions. I’ve since sold off the 18s and will stick with 15s for the foreseeable future.
yeah that makes sense to me, what would you opinion be on the better choice if I told you I had 11x binos currently? my worry was the 4x extra power wouldn't be quite enough to justify spending $1500-$2000

prm

WKR
I just picked up some Meopta 15x56 B1 Plus. Can’t compare to 18x, though I do much prefer the 15s to the light spotter I was using. Ease of viewing is a huge plus.

yeah that makes sense to me, what would you opinion be on the better choice if I told you I had 11x binos currently? my worry was the 4x extra power wouldn't be quite enough to justify spending $1500-$2000
Hm that is a good question. I still think I would go for the 15s. 4x power is enough to make significant difference in what I am able to find. Unless you’re hunting super open big country...or maybe using them to glass over a mile consistently. But hey it’s all just my opinion some other guys will probably feel differently

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex Razor UHD 18's for the win. Incredible glass. Steve over at S&S Archery had a review on the 10x and posted a few comments here about the 18's that put them on my radar. Having owned the SLC 15x and several different Vortex 15x models. By far my favorite big eyes I've used. Regardless of brand.

That being said, they are not a do it all bino. They're not impossible but very challenging to use off a tripod and are big and heavy. For sheep, coues deer, big country glassing or if I don't feel like dragging along a spotter, they work perfectly.

I didn't have a lot of luck with the Kaibabs. They just didn't work for my eyes. Same with the pervious generation of Razor HDs. Maven makes a great bino and I own/have owned several. If you're going to go with 15's. There's no better than the SLCs. I'd keep an eye out for a used set or save up for them. You won't regret it.

deerlick

FNG
I will second the vortex razor uhd 18x56 being incredible glass. Been using them 2 seasons now and the amount of game I've found hidden away using these has made them a bargain imo.

I was weighing the same decision and ended up wanting more FOV vs magnification. Picked up a set of meopta 15s and have zero regrets, they’re fantastic glass.

Reactions: prm

carbon

FNG
I shoot prairie dogs, mainly. I just tested the Maven 18x (demo pair) and the Vortex Razor 18x UHD (brand new). I’ll be returning the Razors and keeping the Mavens.

Maven pros: image looked a bit sharper, colors popped better. (Note: all during bright sunlight). Rubber surface grippier yet didn’t attract dust.

Maven cons: no locking diopter

Maven misc: I believe you can screw in skylight filters to the front. Nice customization options. Focus wheel is grippy metal and focuses quicker than the Razor.

Vortex pros: nicer to handhold, but one doesn’t handhold 18x binos much. Locking diopter. Comes with case.

Vortex cons: case is massively & comically undersized. As mentioned, image didn’t have as much pop. It’s fairly close, but others who tried the pair noticed the same thing.

Vortex misc: focus wheel is plastic and focuses slower than the Maven.

The Mavens completely replaced my Razor 27-60 spotter. Much more comfy to use than a spotter. I shoot out to 500 yards, but this trip I stopped at 400 due to high number of good targets! I think I’ll digiscope with the Razor from now on.

If only they included a rangefinder in the Mavens…

Loved my 15s but went with extra magnification because when I want FOV or extra light capturing abilities I like to put my 10x on the tripod, I typically start and end the day with my 10x on the tripod. I want that extra X to glass hillsides and bowls way out there or in nooks and crannies close, that’s why I haul them around myself.

carbon

FNG
I want to report back that a 15x binocular is indeed enough magnification for prairie dog shooting, completely replacing a spotter for that purpose.

I bought a Leica Geovid 15x LRF binos for my PD shoot this month and loved them. People, including a chap from Outdoorsman’s, said that they were not going to be have great glass and that the glass would be comparable to the vortex Fury’s.

This couldn’t be further from the truth. Their glass absolutely blows away the vortex, of which I own and used concurrently on the trip.

I am very glad I had the vortex along, as 10x is extremely useful especially in shorter ranges (like stocking). The Vortex also has a better rangefinder, as in it ranges quicker and longer, although I don’t need to range past 600 yards for a prairie dog.

I could occasionally range past 2200 yards with the Vortex, whereas the Leica could only muster 1200 yards in perfect conditions. But the Leica never let me down ranging a prairie dog.

I should also note that it’s really nice to have two LRF binos along on a two-man trip.

Memory is a hazy thing, so I can’t directly compare the Mavens with the Leicas as I used them separated by a year. But if forced to compare, I would say the image quality between them is very close, but there is something very pleasing about the image that the Leica gives. You read this in reviews of their camera lenses (of which I have a few), and it’s mentioned enough to become a trope. But it’s something I noticed only in close range viewing (birds). The effect does not show up at 100 yards and more.

I know Leica has some much more modern binoculars out there, but there are almost no reviews of these marvelous 15x powered binoculars.