15x56 Binos or a Spotter

bassin_rob

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking about switching up my current glass lineup. I’ve been wanting a set up 15x56 binos for a while now and finally decided to bite the bullet and invest in the Swaros. Originally I planned on getting the Kaibabs but I would rather buy once cry once. However, unless i want to sleep on the couch I need to sell something in order to buy the Swaros. I usually carry the 27-60 x 85 Razor spotter with me but I’m honestly not impressed with it. So I’m thinking about selling that and using the money towards the 15’s.

If you could only carry one or the other, 15’s or a spotter. What would you carry and why?

FLAK

WKR
I just bought a pair of 15x56's for a Coues hunt.
Just more versatile IMO. Spotters seem more rough
on my eyes.

OP
bassin_rob

bassin_rob

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a pair of 15x56's for a Coues hunt.
Just more versatile IMO. Spotters seem more rough
on my eyes.
That’s kinda what I’m thinkin. I do like the spotter to pull out and see exactly what kinda rack a buck has. But I’m thinking about getting a cheap vortex diamondback for that. I would rather have the nicest glass I own be what I’m looking through for hours on end.

Spotter versus binos is a preference thing. There are a number of threads on this and a vote I believe.

Put me down for spotter for the semi open country I hunt. I wouldn’t enjoy the limitations of 15x glass and I experience no eye strain with my Athlon Ares spotter, or the Vortex before that.

Glass with the Maven 10x up to two miles away and then hit the spotter.

OP
bassin_rob

bassin_rob

Lil-Rokslider
Ya I get a wicked headache glassing with one eye all day. Thanks for the heads up I’ll look up other threads as well

OP
bassin_rob

bassin_rob

Lil-Rokslider
I think this is generally sound advice: Binoculars are best at looking FOR things. Spotters are best at looking AT things.
Agreed. That’s why both is idea. But if it’s either or that’s why I’m a little conflicted. Thinking I’m gonna go with the 15s tho and try and find a cheap spotter in the mean time.

Agreed. That’s why both is idea. But if it’s either or that’s why I’m a little conflicted. Thinking I’m gonna go with the 15s tho and try and find a cheap spotter in the mean time.

Good cheap spotter = Athlon Ares. Don’t do the Diamondback, Redfield crap that will just piss you off. Big jump in quality to the Ares in my experience.

OP
bassin_rob

bassin_rob

Lil-Rokslider
Good cheap spotter = Athlon Ares. Don’t do the Diamondback, Redfield crap that will just piss you off. Big jump in quality to the Ares in my experience.
Will look into the Ares! Thanks for the tip!

When you get the 15s make sure you get a good tripod and head to mount them on. For the best results it is a must have.

Once you experience what you see with the swaro 15s I think you will opt for a big alpha glass spotter. Small spotters will not gain you very much over the 15s.

ndbuck09

WKR
I run the Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56's and have been thrilled with them. They come with a really nice adapter as well, which I believe is over $100 if bought separately. Personally, I can't really look for anything with one eye in a spotter. If I'm scanning, the fine details of an animal just aren't jumping out at me in one eye like they do in two.

Edit: if I was really loaded I'd get the Swaro spotter that has the two eye piece attachment. That would be the ultimate setup.

OP
bassin_rob

bassin_rob

Lil-Rokslider
When you get the 15s make sure you get a good tripod and head to mount them on. For the best results it is a must have.

Once you experience what you see with the swaro 15s I think you will opt for a big alpha glass spotter. Small spotters will not gain you very much over the 15s.
Ya I’m running the Pro GT from vortex right now as a tripod and switching from free holding the binos was a life changer.

OP
bassin_rob

bassin_rob

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56's and have been thrilled with them. They come with a really nice adapter as well, which I believe is over $100 if bought separately. Personally, I can't really look for anything with one eye in a spotter. If I'm scanning, the fine details of an animal just aren't jumping out at me in one eye like they do in two.

Edit: if I was really loaded I'd get the Swaro spotter that has the two eye piece attachment. That would be the ultimate setup.
I was also looking into the Zeiss. They seem pretty comparable for a little less money. Before I pull the trigger I definitely plan on looking through both.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thinking about switching up my current glass lineup. I’ve been wanting a set up 15x56 binos for a while now and finally decided to bite the bullet and invest in the Swaros. Originally I planned on getting the Kaibabs but I would rather buy once cry once. However, unless i want to sleep on the couch I need to sell something in order to buy the Swaros. I usually carry the 27-60 x 85 Razor spotter with me but I’m honestly not impressed with it. So I’m thinking about selling that and using the money towards the 15’s.

If you could only carry one or the other, 15’s or a spotter. What would you carry and why?
I would run the SLC 15x56 WB Binoculars all day over that spotter. We just did a test in the mountains with real antlers from elk at different ranges and those bino's kicked butt. When it comes to spotting animals its not about power and more about clarity. Hoping to get that video out here soon so you guys can see what we found but get the 15x56 Binoculars from Swaros. You will not be disappointed.

OP
bassin_rob

bassin_rob

Lil-Rokslider
I would run the SLC 15x56 WB Binoculars all day over that spotter. We just did a test in the mountains with real antlers from elk at different ranges and those bino's kicked butt. When it comes to spotting animals its not about power and more about clarity. Hoping to get that video out here soon so you guys can see what we found but get the 15x56 Binoculars from Swaros. You will not be disappointed.
Awesome man! Looking forward to the video!

This! I had a Razor spotter and had to get rid of it because I wouldn't use it. Tried but the clarity through my Zeiss HT 10x42 and SLC 15x56 made the Razor obsolete. I now have an STS x80 and still hardly ever use it.

Blue72

WKR
I gave up the spotter for brighter larger two eyed view, but then again I don’t trophy hunt.

In my testing I notice big views start at 15x and the only time I need a spotter is when I need over 30x

The problem with over 30x is that you need a sturdier heavier tripod to eliminate shakes in the wind, its atmospheric condition dependent (mirages kills detail in higher magnification) , smaller exit pupil becomes darker and less comfortable

Try some Meopta 15x56 HD’s for about half the price of the swaro’s. I use mine next to my hunting partners Swaro 15x56 hd’s And he kicks himself all the time for paying double and neither can notice hardly any difference.