15x56 Binos or a Spotter

OP
bassin_rob

bassin_rob

Lil-Rokslider
I will definitely take a look through both. Seems like all the pros and big time guides all use Swarovski which is probably for good reason. But can’t hurt to compare.

I recently picked up a pair of Cabelas Euro HD (rebranded Meostar's) 15x56 and tested against my Vortex Razor 11-33 and Kowa 88mm. The binos walked all over the little Razor; not just in pure resolving but were nothing short of a joy to look through. There were just no many more details that jumped out to me than with the compact spotter, not to mention far better FOV.

Compared to the Kowa 88mm, it's a different story but it highlighted the specialized purpose of the large spotter. If moose brow tines or sheep horn rings need to be judged from a mile out, this scope can do it. But if it's not that type of hunt, I don't see the need to take this big scope when I am confident in these 15x binos. In hindsight, I am very glad that I invested in that great spotter because almost anything short of a large alpha glass spotter, these great 15x binos on a tripod would outshine.

I recently picked up a pair of Cabelas Euro HD (rebranded Meostar's) 15x56 and tested against my Vortex Razor 11-33 and Kowa 88mm. The binos walked all over the little Razor; not just in pure resolving but were nothing short of a joy to look through. There were just no many more details that jumped out to me than with the compact spotter, not to mention far better FOV.

Compared to the Kowa 88mm, it's a different story but it highlighted the specialized purpose of the large spotter. If moose brow tines or sheep horn rings need to be judged from a mile out, this scope can do it. But if it's not that type of hunt, I don't see the need to take this big scope when I am confident in these 15x binos. In hindsight, I am very glad that I invested in that great spotter because almost anything short of a large alpha glass spotter, these great 15x binos on a tripod would outshine.
This is spot on to my observation. I run the swarovski 15x56 hd. I owned a leica televid apo 62 with 16-48 eyepiece. The 15s showed just as much detail at distance and we're 10x more comfortable to look through. Sold the 62. I also run a Kowa 88 with the good WA eyepiece. It is really good. I owned a non hd swarovski sts 80 and the kowa is much better.

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking about switching up my current glass lineup. I’ve been wanting a set up 15x56 binos for a while now and finally decided to bite the bullet and invest in the Swaros. Originally I planned on getting the Kaibabs but I would rather buy once cry once. However, unless i want to sleep on the couch I need to sell something in order to buy the Swaros. I usually carry the 27-60 x 85 Razor spotter with me but I’m honestly not impressed with it. So I’m thinking about selling that and using the money towards the 15’s.

If you could only carry one or the other, 15’s or a spotter. What would you carry and why?

I am in a similar situation. I just bought a Razor 27 60 X 85....at max magnification Im getting a less than crisp and clear view.I have some Meopta meostars 12 X 50 that blow the spotter away. I think I am going to end up selling the spotter and sticking to Binos

I am in a similar situation. I just bought a Razor 27 60 X 85....at max magnification Im getting a less than crisp and clear view.I have some Meopta meostars 12 X 50 that blow the spotter away. I think I am going to end up selling the spotter and sticking to Binos
Don't discount a spotter till you try some alpha glass. If 2 to 3x the price of the big vortex is in your budget you will be impressed. It's a lot of coin but my kowa 884 is amazing even at 60x

I need to add to my previous post after testing the Meopta 15x56's vs the Kowa 55 spotter. I'll stand by my earlier test between the 15x56's and the Razor 11-33. Those two had comparable resolving abilities but the 2-eye advantage of the binos made them the more effective tool for understanding the details in view.

But the little Kowa, I feel, hits a home run for the spotter side. It's not even close, the detail that I was able to sort out with the Kowa vs the Meopta binos. It should be said though, that this advantage is exclusive to resolving ability. If I were wanting a higher magnification tool to find animals for any extended periods of time, there's no question I'd rather be behind the binos. But if the animals are somewhat easier to locate and I just need to get a closer look, the little Kowa is the far better tool, and comes in almost a full pound under the Meoptas.

In the end, I suppose this is nothing new, as it comes down to the nature of the hunt; and you get what you pay for. The Razor is about $800, the Cabela's branded Meopta's were $1300, and the Kowa 55 is around $1800.

This site/forum is awesome. I am in the same boat and I have decided I am going with the 15x56 SLC i have always wanted a pair but would always skimp and spend less. Well if you add up all the optics i have gone through in the past 35 years could have bought several pair of the best binos. the frustrating thing is there is a pair in the classifieds i would buy today but have to wait a few more days. hope they are there later this week.

Block

WKR
15x56 SwarO are the best purchase iv ever made. For scouting, and certain hunts, they never leave my pack. Lately Iv been just carrying the 10x42 SwarO on my chest since I’m needing 6 liters of water and Not wanting to carry both. Missing the 15s BIG time!!! I’m planning on getting the little 554 Kowa soon so I can keep that when the weight of 15s + 10s is an issue.... I really wish Swaro made a 12x42,, for some hunts that might be the perfect happy medium