15x56 binos or spotting scope for moose in alaska

Kinda depends what you're doing. I hunt a spot that is 4 brow/50 inch on a 2 mile lake in a mountain valley with a zodiak and motor. In that case, the spotter is a game changer. Most of where I hunt now is any bull on a simple lake drop with my feet as the only mode of transportation. I still bring the spotter, but it's dead weight. I just use it for taking pictures and looking at bulls that I'm not gonna shoot unless I can get them to camp. In the simple drop camp scenario, 15x would be a bit much. 10x42s and no need for a spotter unless you have the weight and self control.

mooster

WKR
My Steiner 15x80's are 4 lbs.
My Kowa & Tripod combined are 8 lbs.
Last year the spotter was great for looking at & phone scope video'ing moose and ducks a mile across the h20, but truthfully when it comes down to it the 15 power is more than adequate to let me know I need to close the distance on the lakes that are 1.5 mile max across. 4 lb's is worth saving in my book, that's about a six pack of beer!

WMR

FNG
I used a PhoneSkope with a Kowa 553 to get long distance photos and video of Moose and Brown Bears using my phone. The Kowa scope was a little spendy but I found it on sale. I looked at larger spotting scopes but they just seemed too big to carry around. This one went everywhere with us. We used it a lot and will take the same setup again this year. Of course, the binos go along, too.

Just on the record saying I'm only against a spotting scope for one guy....me. I don't ever expect or advise anyone to do things like I do. Most guys won't hunt moose with only a longbow or recurve...for many years. That's all I've ever carried in Alaska. Most guys would probably feel handicapped with 10x32s....best glass I've ever owned. Most guys will bring a spotter, and so they should if they want it. I'd rather have 4+ pounds of something I really want and appreciate. I suppose this comes from the fact I've never (yet) been in a situation where a spotter would've saved my legs or helped me kill a moose. My hunting strategy precludes the use of a spotter, as I'm simply not going after a 2 or 3 mile moose on foot. I'll catch one moving through and then call him into bow range.

ldmay375

FNG
What’s everyone’s opinions either one or the other or both
For me it would depend upon the terrain that I was hunting. The areas that I hunt have denser foliage, alders, trees. My maximum visibility, looking through holes is limited to about 225 yds in one spot and 100 yards in another. I have 7x42’s that I carry on me and 10x54’s or 10x56’s that I carry in my pack. Once the light starts fading, the 10’s with the larger objectives are used. To my eyes, they are an asset even at the closer distances to identify the necessary brow tines in low light.
The mountains, hills, and timber can block a lot of light as sunset nears.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
In the area we hunt, we use binoculars for spotting moose and spotting scopes to determine if they might be legal or not. This method has saved us a lot of miles on the legs over the years. I have a pair of 1042 Swarovski Habicht's in the green rubber camo that I've been using for well over 2 decades and just recently picked up a NightForce TS80 spotter, my old Nikon XL II just wasn't cutting it anymore, looking forward to using it this fall.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Swarovski 10x42 EL binos are my hot ticket item. Spotters aren't much use unless you're ridge hunting for specific width antlers and plan to sit viewing open country a mile or more away. I have a Swaro spotter that rarely gets sunlight, never on moose hunts.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
On fly in hunts I run 12x50 razors. Our northern Alberta outfitting area is fairly open in most areas, and we glass along the lakes for moose. The 12x50's are the perfect fit for me.

OP
Saleen422

Saleen422

Lil-Rokslider
We are gonna be in 19b pilot said the lake we are going to be on is a variety of fields woods and alders