15x56 Diamondbacks vs Athlon vs x ?

CMF

WKR
Has anyone looked through both the Vortex Diamondback and the Athlon Cronus? Are the Athlon's worth the extra money? Anything else in sub 1k worth looking at?

I'm looking to get a pair of 15x56's. I think I'll like the bino's better than a spotter and I can't afford both right now. I don't have the budget for Swaros now and I'd like to get a year or two with a lesser pair before making a larger investment.

I currently have 8x42 diamondbacks and they have worked great for archery elk. This year we have a NM youth muzzy elk tag and I figure we might want some better glass for this hunt. I also plan on getting into some mule deer hunts as well as exotics in NM in the coming years. Should I consider something other than the 15s?

Feurhand

FNG
I don't own either, but I've seen photo and video through both the Diamondback and Cronus. From an optical standpoint the Cronus is the clear winner.

For sub $1000 you have a lot of options.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
I don't own either, but I've seen photo and video through both the Diamondback and Cronus. From an optical standpoint the Cronus is the clear winner.

For sub $1000 you have a lot of options.
Where did you see the photo/video comparison, is it online?

What other options are you talking about?

Feurhand

FNG
If I remember correctly, I saw photos through the Cronus on Snipers Hide, and video through the Diamondbacks on the youtube channel Optica Exotica. Now the DBs on Optica Exotica were 10x42s, but it gives an idea of the relative optical quality of that line, which is definitely below Athlon's Ares binoculars, which are themselves a step below the Cronus.

Ilya Koshkin, aka the Dark Lord of Optics, has a youtube channel and website where you can find more info on these things. Birding forums are also good places to learn, and the website Allbinos has detailed technical reviews.

Some good options mentioned in this thread: