15x56 in replace of spotting scope??

Jens22

FNG
Not a big fan of spotting scopes, debating using some larger Magnification Bino's instead. These will be for mule deer hunting mostly, and maybe some Cous. I have some leupold 10x52s that are great, but when looking at longer distances, trying to find a bedded muley just isn't cutting it. Im in New Mexico for reference of landscape. Anyone have the Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD? Or compared those against ziess, meopta,Vortex, etc..

I cant offered Swarovski... yet🤣

Open to recommendations, would like to hear from some of you who might have made this same transition. I will be using them on tripod obviously. Slik.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Love my Meoptas. Used them all fall and love the field of view and overall quality of the optic. My partner had a spotter we used for closer looks, but for general glassing I’ll take the binos over a spotter everytime

Last edited:

Tmac

WKR
I have some Minox 15x and 15x Meopta’s. I looked through the Santiams, they were good, maybe better than my older Minox to my eye, but not Meopta good. I am very happy with my Meopta’s.

But any of the 15x that originally retailed for about 1k+, that you could find used, would be a significant step up from your 10x when put on a stable tripod. There are some good deals out there, vs buying new, worth a look.

packer58

WKR
My Meopta 15X56 get 100 times more use that my spotter. You will find way more animals with a pair of bigeyes than you will with a spotter just for the simple reason that you'll spend extended periods of time behind them vs holding one eye closed for very long.

Bigeyes + good tripod = Awesome glassing

Fatcamp

WKR
Traded spotter for 15x and now 15x for 12x.

Trying to carry one do all optic. Not sure it exists.

dtrkyman

WKR
If I only had one I would definitely go with the 15x Bino, I have the Meopta, fantastic glass!

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
Maven B.5 18x are all I run, way easier to glass for long periods of time than a spotter. I can distinguish bulls from cows at 3-4 miles pretty regularly if it isn’t windy. Judging muleys at any distance is questionable but I just look for mass anyways so it works.

BBob

WKR
IMO In AZ or NM Coues or mule deer country you would always want 15x binoculars before adding a spotting scope, not the other way around. Save and save some more. Buy the very best you can afford, cheap glass sucks. ;)
Use the 15s to find the animals. Use the spotter for confirmations and judging.
Exactly!
Trying to carry one do all optic. Not sure it exists.
It doesn't :)

Not a big fan of spotting scopes, debating using some larger Magnification Bino's instead. These will be for mule deer hunting mostly, and maybe some Cous. I have some leupold 10x52s that are great, but when looking at longer distances, trying to find a bedded muley just isn't cutting it. Im in New Mexico for reference of landscape. Anyone have the Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD? Or compared those against ziess, meopta,Vortex, etc..

Open to recommendations, would like to hear from some of you who might have made this same transition. I will be using them on tripod obviously. Slik.
I have the Santiam 15x56’s. Upgraded a couple years ago from some Proguide 12x50’s. They are amazing. My spotter rarely leaves the truck. I hunted for a week with a buddy running the 12x42 NL pures. I know it isn’t apples to apples, but there were several times in low light that he thought he was seeing elk and I could clearly see they were rocks or stumps. Came away glad I had the optics I had.

I run 10s, 18x and a spotter. Spotter is necessary, while the 18x are a nice to have. I rarely use the spotter but those times when you need it nothing can replace it (maybe btx) it can save you unnecessary miles. Just my two cents. I rarely babckpack hunt anymore but when I do I go 10s and spotter.

kad11

WKR
I have the Meopta B1 Plus 15s and they are definitely awesome, but they don't necessarily replace a spotting scope. I think you'll still want a spotter if glassing deer much past 2-2.5 miles.

I don't really like spotting scopes either, but they're almost required for big country. I'm going to try a fixed power 38x spotting scope for the next few seasons to see if the longer eye relief and wider fov improve viewing.

I'd get good 15s first and then start saving for a good spotter.

I have the Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD 15x56's and love them. My spotter doesn't leave the truck 9 times out of 10 now days but I'm not looking to count inches either. To each their own. Some country a spotter is definitely necessary though!

I debated this a lot recently, after returning from my mule deer hunt. Ultimately, I decided my little lightweight Nikon ED50 spotter will still be my preferred option. It's lighter and more compact than a high mag pair of bins, which means I'll be more prone to take it with me. I could change my mind someday, but at least for one more year, I'm sticking with the 8x32/ED50 setup that I've had for years now.

Fatcamp

WKR
On our current trip I am going back and forth between the 10x and 12x. Like them both alot.