15x56 in replace of spotting scope??

Manakh

FNG
Maven B.5 18x are all I run, way easier to glass for long periods of time than a spotter. I can distinguish bulls from cows at 3-4 miles pretty regularly if it isn’t windy. Judging muleys at any distance is questionable but I just look for mass anyways so it works.
Another vote for mavens. Best bino's for the $$ *in my opinion*

10X,12X,15X,18X....take your pick.
But when I want to assess trophy quality before I invest boot leather, I pull out a tiny Kowa 554. I probably don't use it a 1/2 hour all season, but there's no way it's not riding in my pack everyday at just 28oz.

10X,12X,15X,18X....take your pick.
But when I want to assess trophy quality before I invest boot leather, I pull out a tiny Kowa 554. I probably don't use it a 1/2 hour all season, but there's no way it's not riding in my pack everyday at just 28oz.
The Binos help you find game but the spotter has helped me pick out targets that were say next to a more obvious animal bedded or in the shade. Or it has antlers but can’t tell if it’s a freak 2x2 or a 4x4 with trash at 1.5 miles, it ended up being a forkasarus FYI

Blue72

WKR
Likewise but would you ever leave your spotter behind?

The Binos help you find game but the spotter has helped me pick out targets that were say next to a more obvious animal bedded or in the shade. Or it has antlers but can’t tell if it’s a freak 2x2 or a 4x4 with trash at 1.5 miles, it ended up being a forkasarus FYI
I always found 1.5-2 mile the sweet spot for 15x. But then again conditions count for a lot

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the same predicament. I have Zeiss 10x42s that I carry on my chest. Can’t decide what would be more beneficial a pair of 15s or a spotting scope. I want something I can spot from a long distance then go after the animal.

Depending how much detail you want. Just putting your 10x binoculars on a tripod should suffice at a mile or even longer

I agree. Glassing with my 10x SLCs off a tripod feels like plenty at a mile unless you’re glassing for coues or some different terrain than what I hunt.

My experience is with elk and mule deer in the high country though. Your situation might be different

Edit: I’ll also add that I’ve never used 15x so I might not know what I’m missing…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jens22

FNG
Maven B.5 18x are all I run, way easier to glass for long periods of time than a spotter. I can distinguish bulls from cows at 3-4 miles pretty regularly if it isn’t windy. Judging muleys at any distance is questionable but I just look for mass anyways so it works.
thank you!
what about 18s?
you know that is not out of the questions, I chose 15s because of the type of terrain im hunting. i want to be able to hit a few ridges at one time and 15s will get me that far in the country im hunting. If i were hunting cous deer more than mule deer that might be a different story.

for the 15x users... what kind of distance to can you determine a buck is mature?

I use 20x binos for deer and elk hunting in the Lower-48, but in terms of distance, two miles is about max when determining whether a deer MIGHT be worthy of chasing. When they're more than a mile, I always look through the spotting scope to confirm whether or not an animal is truly worth pursuing.

Hoodie

WKR
I was looking at some deer and elk through the Maven B5 18x56 the other day while bear hunting. I feel confident I could tell a mature buck from a dink out to about 1 mile.

I've used spotters, so I get the advantage. For me it's a matter of weight. I find waaay more animals with high powered binoculars than I do a scope, so they make it into the pack. I like to know if I'm looking at a mature animal, but realistically I'll kill most anything legal in the units I hunt.

I've carried three optics before, and don't want to again. I think if someone wants to find as many as animals as possible and doesn't care about score, 8x+15x56 or 10x+18x56 is the way to go. If a person does care about score and requires a spotter, I'd suggest 12x50 and a 65mm or bigger scope.

Last edited:

Hoodie

WKR
For reference, here are some photos at 18x (handheld through my crappy phone camera).

Elk at a little over 1/2 mile

1649883386251.jpeg

Deer at just over 3/4 mile

1649883426925.jpeg

A PhoneSkope will allow you to zoom in, which adds to the distance you can effectively size things up.

Hoodie

WKR
These deer are also at about 3/4 of a mile, but this is with some zoom from my phone camera. Makes a big difference. I'd say it makes it about as useful as the average 50mm spotter, but much easier to glass through for long periods and with better FOV.

1649883607320.jpeg

.... I feel confident I could tell a mature buck from a dink out to about 1 mile .... I think if someone wants to find as many as animals as possible and doesn't care about score, 8x+15x56 or 10x+18x56 is the way to go ....

I agree. If a person is simply searching for any run-of-the-mill 3 year old or older buck mule deer, 10x or 12x or 15x binos are plenty sufficient. The spotting scope really only comes into play when evaluating a particular buck that was previously found in the binos, to see if it's a truly outstanding specimen. Otherwise, binos of 10x or greater are plenty adequate.