15’s

• Swaro

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Meopta

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
I’m in the market for 15’s and am between Meopta and Swaro (unless there’s a better bino in the pipeline by fall of this year)

Swaro’s are basically an extra $750 and I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the extra. From what I understand, the optical differences boil down to 2-3 things:
  • Better light transmission by a couple % for Swaro (Meopta are SP prisms while Swaro are AK)
  • Swaro have slightly better field of view (234 vs 221)
  • I don’t know anyone with Meoptas to compare but Swaro have great edge to edge clarity. I suspect Swaro wins but I’m not sure by how much
I’ve also heard that Meoptas are pretty rugged, investing the weight savings in SP prisms into the body. Not sure how true that really is.

Besides that both companies seem to take good care of customers and neither seems likely to disappear in a few years. I imagine Swaro’s will hold their value better in the long term.

For me, it seems like Meoptas are pretty good choice here. I don’t plan to sell them and I’m looking for deer, not filming for the big screen through them. Plus $750 would be nice to put elsewhere for what appears to be relatively small optical details. Anything I’m missing or any other thoughts?

Last edited:

NMRoker

FNG
I've just been down this road as well and decided to go with the Meoptas because of the value as you stated. The cons you listed are the same three that I came up when researching the two. I'm sure the Swaros are better in these areas, but for my money the differences weren't worth the extra $750.

I had the Meoptas for 5+ years, and they were great.
If I were doing 15s again, I would do Swaros and wouldn't even consider anything else. The payoff in FOV and better edge to edge clarity alone is well worth it to me. They also hold their value better, and I think their frame design is better too. I had a pair of Meoptas become misaligned.
Used Swaros can be had for the price of Meoptas on Ebay now and then.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
Unpopular opinion. But When I was looking at upgrading my 15x's, I looked at everything. After seeing a recommendation from Steve over at S&S Archery, I gave the Vortex UHD 18's a shot and was super impressed. Yes, they're a bit heavier and big. But based on his test and several others, they edge out the SLCs slightly in a number of categories including clarity.

My experienced matched and I really like having the additional 3x over the 15's without giving up much FOV. So I bought them and have been running them for about a year and half. Haven't regretted my decision once.

Lingling

FNG
I have a pair of 7 x 56 meoptas that I absolutely love. When I was in the market for 15's I really wanted to like the swaro's but the interpupillary distance just didn't work well for me. I thought I had read somewhere that the newer models have addressed this issue but if it could be an issue for you you might want to look at that.

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya, that IPD is pesky. Meopta was pretty narrow so that's where my money went.

ShakeDown

WKR
I have had both and I’d say the average person would be hard pressed to notice a discernible difference. That being said optics can get very personal depending on eyesight, IPD (as mentioned) etc.

I did keep the SLCs.

JDB9818

WKR
I had the Meopta's first and sold them to purchase the Swaro's.

To my eyes, the Swaro's are just a touch better. I am unapologetically a Swarovski fan and I certainly don't regret my purchase, I love using the 15's. That said, the Meopta's are pretty close and if you don't want to spend the extra money I think you'd be happy with them. Glassing off a tripod with 15's is pretty nice.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m in the market for 15’s and am between Meopta and Swaro (unless there’s a better bino in the pipeline by fall of this year)

Have used both extensively Most recently the Meopta B1 Plus that belongs to a partner.
E02419F6-5FF1-441F-85AB-8F3F70A82FD6.jpeg

Swaro’s are basically an extra $750 and I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the extra. From what I understand, the optical differences boil down to 2-3 things:
  • Better light transmission by a couple % for Swaro (Meopta are SP prisms while Swaro are AK)
  • Swaro have slightly better field of view (234 vs 221)
  • I don’t know anyone with Meoptas to compare but Swaro have great edge to edge clarity. I suspect Swaro wins but I’m not sure by how much

The Swaro’s-

1. I have not seen a difference in light transmission or brightness in twilight. What one can see, the other can as well.

2. The Swaro does indeed have a slightly larger FOV. Not a lot, but it is there if you look for it

3. The outside maybe 5% of the image, Swaro is just a touch crisper. Both are good, and the Meopta will certainly show you if something is there, but if you really crane and stare at the outer edge Swaro is slightly crisper.

That out of the way.... Those are the only things the Swaro has on the B1 plus.

The Meopta has-

1). Better image overall- the Swaro’s are slightly milky or hazy in comparison.

2). The Meopta has slightly better resolution and contrast.

3). The center 70’ish% of the FOV is more pleasing to look through.

4). Experience has shown the durability of Meopta to be better. I dig Swaro optics, and yet all that I have had have had to go in for work at some point. These SLC’s have two seasons on them and will have to go back this year as the focus wheel and diopter adjustment is getting very sticky/gritty.

I’ve also heard that Meoptas are pretty rugged, investing the weight savings in SP prisms into the body. Not sure how true that really is.

See above. I have had lots of Swaro and Meopta optics. Meopta fends abuse better.

For me, it seems like Meoptas are pretty good choice here. I don’t plan to sell them and I’m looking for deer, not filming for the big screen through them. Plus $750 would be nice to put elsewhere for what appears to be relatively small optical details. Anything I’m missing or any other thoughts?

I’ve said this for a long time- people that claim there is a noticeable difference between any of the alphas, couldn’t tell you what binos they were looking through if you covered them up. It is absolutely pole vaulting over mouse turds, but... there is zero chance I would buy Swaro 15’s over the Meopta B1 Plus.
It’s not a money thing- I don’t have to pay for either; the Meopta’s are legit excellent binos, with better resolution and contrast, better durability, and overall excellent optical performance. The B1’s aren’t just excellent for $1,600- they’re damn good binos at any price.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I compared the Meopta and Swaro 15's and I thought the Swaro's were better and I bought them. I don't think anyone is going to miss anything with the Meoptas and I agree that you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The Meoptas were definitely the better value but sometimes you just have to get what you want. It isn't as clear as one is just better than the other, we all see things differently. If that weren't true how is it that anyone ever bought a Pontiac Aztec?

I am swaro all the way. I dont have experience with the Meoptas but I have done side by side comparisons of the Vortex and could personally see a difference in them. I had the 15x56 SLCs from 2010 until 2017 or 18 then sold those and got the SLC HD 15x56s. A great bino! Either way is seems as though you have researched the pros and cons so either way you are educated about both of them, which is half the battle. Good luck I am sure both will do the job.

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
Recently went with Meopta B1 Plus 15x56 after considering SLC. By almost all accounts, Meoptas are excellent glass, better than non-HD SLC and possibly (?) edged out by the newer SLC HD. The way I look at it, it won't be long until there's a new latest and greatest that bests either of the two great 15x56s available today, just as both of them are probably far better than any of the 15x56s that were available in years past.

Why spend $800 more when neither are future proof anyway?

BTW, this is my first experience with a 15x binocular and absolutely love using them. For me, far better and more enjoyable than using my Kowa 554 or 883.

OP
canyonhunter47
Any of you guys consider the Maven B5 15x before going Meopta or swaro?
I was interested in them and I would like to compare them side by side. But it’s the same kind of situation as Vortex with the VIP warranty: are they putting money in the glass or pricing in “free” service and replacements?

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
I only really considered Meopta and Swaro for my 15s, my understanding is that those two are really considered the best glass at this time for 15x binos. That doesn't mean Vortex and Maven necessarily aren't making a quality and worthy product, just wasn't on my radar like the other two.

I haven't had a warranty claim for any of my optics from Kowa, Swaro or Meopta, but understand they stand behind their products and fix any issues. Vortex is great to deal with in that way and I've sent riflescopes back to them but no longer own any other types of optics from them.

Not to get totally off topic, but I wonder why Zeiss Conquest 15 and the Leica Geo 15s never seem to come up with 15x binos. Is it that Swaro and Meopta are that far ahead. I know price doesn't mean everything but going on price it would seem they should be comparative. I would love to hear the whys from folks who know.

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen some reviews (diona.a.312) of Zeiss's 15x56 and most complaints seem to be things like ergonomics, focus control, eye cups, etc. I'd like to say Meostar eyecups and focus knob are very similar in size and feel to Swaro's SLC line, my Meostar 15x56 is pretty similar to my SLC 10x42 in this way, not sure if that applies to the SLC 15x56.

Prior to getting my 15x56s, I hadn't ever used binoculars of this magnification before but they really are all they're cracked up to be. I'm amazed at how much easier they are to use than a spotting scope. Being able to use both eyes really improves the image a lot. I've been out using mine quite a bit in the desert near my house and spotted a group of desert bighorns feeding at ~3mi away. No way that would have happened with ~10x binos and much harder to scan and locate with a spotting scope, at least for me.

OP
canyonhunter47
Not to get totally off topic, but I wonder why Zeiss Conquest 15 and the Leica Geo 15s never seem to come up with 15x binos. Is it that Swaro and Meopta are that far ahead. I know price doesn't mean everything but going on price it would seem they should be comparative. I would love to hear the whys from folks who know.
I’m not sure about the Leica’s, I think the only 15’s they have out right now are rangefinding binos.

There are some decent reviews on the Zeiss compared to Swarovski’s though. I understand they are very bright and cost around $1800, but compared to Swarovski’s they are noticeably bigger, slightly heavier, have quite a bit more chromatic aberration, and shallower depth of field. Of course, not quite as good as Swaro is still pretty darn good

YouTube:
Outdoorsmans: https://outdoorsmans.com/blogs/news...oculars-should-you-buy-swarovski-vortex-zeiss

Last edited: