16” 243

Gusbus

FNG
Interested in cutting down a 243 to 16”. I know 308 16” is quite common but not sure how a 243 would be in such a short barrel. Will be adding a 6.5” suppressor to this rifle. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. This is a carry hunting rifle primarily for hogs and 98% of all shots will be under 100 yards. Most shots less than 60yrd.

I say do it
Recently I took my 6.5 saum down to 16" for a suppressed lightweight hunting rifle and its fantastic.
I lost 200 fps with 9" less barrel, RL26 brought me back to within 100 fps of where I was before with a longer barrel and using H1000

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Ruger with an 18” barrel. I found that Federal 80gr softpoints were to tough for coyotes from the short barrel. I’d not be against doing it, I’d just think a little on bullet choice. Get something that will work well at lower velocity. Maybe a 100gr Sierra Gameking or 90gr Accubond. Both have performed well for me past 300 yards from a 22” barrel.

Mine is for coyotes and works great with 69gr Bergers, They are discontinued so I’ll have to experiment once mine are gone.

Magnus777

FNG
It seems to me like your focus is having something fairly light weight, in a handy size, for doing short range work on a relatively tough critter. Were it my decision to make, I'd consider acquisition of another rifle in a caliber that won't be handicapped by a short barrel, while also being well suited to suppression...and choose an appropriate projectile for the task. While not a fan, and don't own one, the 300BK seems like just the ticket in this case...or maybe 7.62x39.
The 243 is a speedy round, using a healthy dose of powder to push light weight bullets at a fast clip. While it may be possible to tune the round for a short barrel using faster powders with a heavy bullet, it's still going to be slinging lead at high velocity with a large volume of gas. You may or may not get the expected performance from your suppressor. All in all, you're trying to hobble a race horse for plow work. I'd say, if you have room in the barn, buy yourself a sturdy mule and save the thoroughbred to do what it was meant for.

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 16” 243 getting 3050 with factory Sig Sauer Elite Copper Hunting. It is handy but even suppressed it has quite a bit of bark.

B23

WKR
If you want a shorty go for it but just to be safe I'd probably only go down to 16.5 so you never have to worry about Jonny Law or some douche trying to tell you it's now an SBR.

Like others have mentioned, even suppressed, it's definitely going to have some bark to it. I chopped my 22-250 from 24 down to 18. Even with the can screwed on the end it still seems short and is handy as hell. I've shot it with just the can and no ear protection but I don't like to because it's just a little to loud.

Chopped my Tikka 243 down to like 17.5” with a 8.5” can it’s awesome. My wife and I love shooting it suppressed. Worth doing for sure. Shooting 75gr Vmax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk