16 man tipi

Who here uses or us used a 16 man tipi(Kifaru or SO) as a base camp? Looking for room for 4 cots with stove and gear. Would probably have a “walled” pop-up for a cook shack if it was too tight in the tipi. And I’d run an actual barrel stove more than likely since we’d be truck/atv camping.

Struggling to make a decision over an Alaknak, wall tent, or a tipi. Either of the other tents just take up so much space and are heavy as hell(not to mention will be a little harder to dry out in humidity before storing it) that I’ve started leaning towards a 16 man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
I was in between the tents you describe for quite a while. Finally decided to go with a SO 12 man. Weight and drying were big factors for me. Weight wise a wall tent and an Alaknak were about the same. Living in NW Minnesota, by the time hunting season is over, it could be snowing here. Hard to hang an Alaknak or wall tent inside to dry. Ended up with the 12 man. BTW, the SO website lists the 12 man as able to handle 4 cots (and stove), so the 16 should be a palace for 4.

VernAK

WKR
I've used the 12 Kifaru for 13 years and it's very adequate for three guys on low cots along with stove and groceries.
I believe John Havard uses the 16. Check with him also.

we use a 16' x 20' wall tent and I've not had to hang it or really dry it for nigh onto 15 years - I pull a rope between to large trees and string a tarp over the footprint then do the tent (with internal frame) under - Reverse when breaking camp - it gives us quite a lot of dry storage outside the tent and "coat hooks" for outer gear - it's worked great for that long and a lot longer with a 14' x 16' - until 6 years ago all the hunts were mule pack in

You mean avatahr.

A 16 man would host a trapeze act I think. Most of the places I hunt make it hard to find suitable ground for my 8-Man. But if I consistently had 4 guys on a longer hunt, I agree the 16 would be my choice. Go big, go comfortable....and then go home happy.

Just for the telling of it: My first time into my current moose location there was no campsite established. I had to scout one out and clear brush...dig stones out by hand....rough work. That was just to get enough room for a Kifaru Sawtooth mind you. The next year I went in with a fireman's clearing hoe, which helped improve things for the Sawtooth. Last year I flew a full-fledged mattock into camp because we brought an 8-Man and I knew we had to dramatically enlarge the site. If I ever go bigger I'll need a couple of Boy Scouts and a wheelbarrow.

OP
quackaddict
I know a 21’ circle could pose problems finding a campsite, but would it be that much different than a 30’ camper or a 14x16 wall tent?

You'll be living large in a 16-man with 4, cots, etc.

There is always the flexi-pitch too, if you can't find a big enough space, the 16 should flexi to about the size of a 12.

We have a SO 12, lot's of space and we could fit 4 cots if we needed too.

7Oz0kI1.jpg

OP
quackaddict
You'll be living large in a 16-man with 4, cots, etc.

There is always the flexi-pitch too, if you can't find a big enough space, the 16 should flexi to about the size of a 12.

We have a SO 12, lot's of space and we could fit 4 cots if we needed too.

7Oz0kI1.jpg

Would you have much room for anything else with 4 guys? Wood, stove, etc?

Last edited:
OP
quackaddict
I was in between the tents you describe for quite a while. Finally decided to go with a SO 12 man. Weight and drying were big factors for me. Weight wise a wall tent and an Alaknak were about the same. Living in NW Minnesota, by the time hunting season is over, it could be snowing here. Hard to hang an Alaknak or wall tent inside to dry. Ended up with the 12 man. BTW, the SO website lists the 12 man as able to handle 4 cots (and stove), so the 16 should be a palace for 4.

How many do you sleep comfortably with a stove and cots in your 12 man?

The other tent I’ve been looking at real hard is the 12x16 Instinct Outfitter from Cabela’s. It’d be much smaller and more compact than an Alaknak or wall tent, and much cheaper than a tipi.

Wrench

WKR
The trick to drying an alaknak is to get it home and close all of the doors and windows. Put a box fan in one opening....door, fireplace...etc. it'll blow up like a bouncy house and form to the room. It'll be completely dry in the morning.

Based on owning an 8-Man and then reviewing the square footage numbers for the 8 and 12, I would be able to fit 4 guys, 4 cots and a woodstove in a 12-Man. I do think space would be pretty snug and there would maybe not be room for chairs, woodpile, extra gear. Probably it comes down to how comfortably you want to move around in the tent. Not as easy to get around when you have to step over others' gear or your supplies. 8-Man = 192 sq ft. 12-Man = 260 sq ft.

xcutter

WKR
we use a 16' x 20' wall tent and I've not had to hang it or really dry it for nigh onto 15 years - I pull a rope between to large trees and string a tarp over the footprint then do the tent (with internal frame) under - Reverse when breaking camp - it gives us quite a lot of dry storage outside the tent and "coat hooks" for outer gear - it's worked great for that long and a lot longer with a 14' x 16' - until 6 years ago all the hunts were mule pack in
Could you post a pic of this? Thanks.

Would you have much room for anything else with 4 guys? Wood, stove, etc?

You could make it work pretty well with 4 cots. We put two cots on one side, and the other side is table, woodpile, dog bed, room to spare. Without the table and dog bed you could put two more cots over there. With the taller cots you get storage room underneath for packs, rifle bags, etc. You would just need to massage the woodpile in there a little, but shouldn't be too difficult.

I have or have had tipis in 2, 4, 6, and 12. The suggestion I would offer is this, if you are trying to decide between two sizes, go with the larger.