16” max length barrel. What caliber are you going with?

They are. I am still working through feed issues with the 458x2. And I wish I had a chrono for the 6.5. If I were doing it over, and I may still, I would rechamber the 6.5 cm into a 6.5 prc. I kinda think the extra powder would make up for the shorter barrel.

TX97

FNG
They are. I am still working through feed issues with the 458x2. And I wish I had a chrono for the 6.5. If I were doing it over, and I may still, I would rechamber the 6.5 cm into a 6.5 prc. I kinda think the extra powder would make up for the shorter barrel.
I agree with your assessment on the PRC. I'm shopping for super short, suppressed mountain rifle, capable of harvesting Elk at 400-500 yards. The SWS folding "MISB XLR HUNTER" is what I'm going with, just can't determine which caliber is best for this build. It seems .300 WSM, 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC are the top three. I'll be speaking to the gents at SWS this week to get their feedback.

I agree with your assessment on the PRC. I'm shopping for super short, suppressed mountain rifle, capable of harvesting Elk at 400-500 yards. The SWS folding "MISB XLR HUNTER" is what I'm going with, just can't determine which caliber is best for this build. It seems .300 WSM, 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC are the top three. I'll be speaking to the gents at SWS this week to get their feedback.
For your case, I'd suggest a twist on can. My 6.5cm has a barrel of 16", but including the suppressor, OAL is 22" barrel. My 458 has a 12" barrel and 8" of suppressor for a 20" OAL barrel.

These were my requirements because the 458 is my truck gun (hogs) and the 6.5 I use for deer and predators in central Texas. I wanted silenced because of my children; I enjoy hunting with them and being able to talk and coach them without ear protection. Before the 458, my truck gun was a sawed-off 30-30, and it served me well; however many a pig got away because I would not risk my children's hearing.

Your case is different, long range, big game. For a "super short" barrel (16") that is integrally suppressed, you will only have at most, 10" of rifling, and performance will suffer. Long range hunting suggests you will have the time to setup: twist on suppressor, establish a good shooting position, etc.

Just my take. you do you.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just did something like this sort of on a whim, I was between 6.5/ .308 settled on .308. Don’t think it’s a 600 yard rifle, more like mid 4’4-500. It started as a CA MPP, swapped the 12.5 inch barrel for. 16.25 so I could throw a stock on it. Put a little 1” trijicon and it will wear my dead air nomad or one of my siCo’w when they get out of jail

Attachments

• 71441794098__066BD877-FBEC-456D-8A97-FDE4A28387EA.jpeg
    71441794098__066BD877-FBEC-456D-8A97-FDE4A28387EA.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 29

TX97

FNG
For your case, I'd suggest a twist on can. My 6.5cm has a barrel of 16", but including the suppressor, OAL is 22" barrel. My 458 has a 12" barrel and 8" of suppressor for a 20" OAL barrel.

These were my requirements because the 458 is my truck gun (hogs) and the 6.5 I use for deer and predators in central Texas. I wanted silenced because of my children; I enjoy hunting with them and being able to talk and coach them without ear protection. Before the 458, my truck gun was a sawed-off 30-30, and it served me well; however many a pig got away because I would not risk my children's hearing.

Your case is different, long range, big game. For a "super short" barrel (16") that is integrally suppressed, you will only have at most, 10" of rifling, and performance will suffer. Long range hunting suggests you will have the time to setup: twist on suppressor, establish a good shooting position, etc.

Just my take. you do you.
Sorry for the confusion. My build will consist of 16" - 18" worth of barrel and then the baffle stack. It'll end up about the same OAL as a stock 22-24" rifle, perhaps even a bit shorter. However, it will be suppressed, have foldable stock, and should weigh no more than 7lbs.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Sorry for the confusion. My build will consist of 16" - 18" worth of barrel and then the baffle stack. It'll end up about the same OAL as a stock 22-24" rifle, perhaps even a bit shorter. However, it will be suppressed, have foldable stock, and should weigh no more than 7lbs.
I think .308, 6.5cm or 6.5prc are your best bests for 16, for 18 it probably opens a few other, tbh the biggest think is finding a bullet that your barrel likes, especially if shooting factory ammo, and then figuring out minimum fps needed for adequate expansion, my rounds of choice are around 1700 fps. I will have to chrono to be sure, but the .308 peters out anywhere from just over 550 yards with lighter bullets to 400 something with heavier bullets. 6.5 will take you further because of the high BC bullets. .308 was just my preference. Good luck with your decision. I need to weigh it but I’m thinking scoped and loaded my rifle is right over 6lbs without suppressor, with should be right around 7lbs

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
What does everyone like for a heavier caliber in a short barrel? Couple of qualifications:
  • I don’t reload, so must run factory ammo
  • Must be a proven load. No wildcats or crazy stuff
  • Effective on elk size game out to 600yds or so
  • Edit to add this will be a suppressed rifle, thus the preferred length of 16” or so
I don’t want this to turn into a pissing contest or anything like that. I have a short barrel 6.5 creedmoor that I’ve killed big game with... and while effective, I’d rather go 7mag or larger on this build.

**also edited to add**
I understand that there will be limitations due to me not reloading and the shorter barrel. This will be a hunting rifle. I need to breadbox deer sized targets at 600ish, not worried about repeatedly center punching beer bottle caps.

So, let’s hear it! 2021 season is depending on you!
Factory ammo and cartridge, 16” bbl for elk out to 600 yards. Easy, 7PRC or 300PRC. Lots of bad information and advice on the internet about short barreled magnums. Try it for yourself and make your own conclusions. If you don’t like it sell it and build something else.

TX97

FNG
Just did something like this sort of on a whim, I was between 6.5/ .308 settled on .308. Don’t think it’s a 600 yard rifle, more like mid 4’4-500. It started as a CA MPP, swapped the 12.5 inch barrel for. 16.25 so I could throw a stock on it. Put a little 1” trijicon and it will wear my dead air nomad or one of my siCo’w when they get out of jail
Very nice set up!!!

Hey just checked out the winchester xpr sbsr 16 inch barrel and threaded,came in quite a few cals mentioned here maybe winchester is snooping a little