16” max length barrel. What caliber are you going with?

z987k

WKR
I've been down this same road recently, caliber wise, for a short suppressed rifle and a 30 cal max bullet size. Something that I'm looking at right now is one of the thompson break actions. They are a lot shorter than a bolt for an equal barrel length. So you can retain a 20" barrel and still have a shorter rifle.

jeffpg

WKR
I have a 6.5 PRC with a 20" barrel that works just fine. I love the cartridge.

I want a rig with a 16" barrel next. I am torn between the 6.5 PRC and 7.08, which I am also a huge fan of.
I will run suppressors and Hornady factory ammo only in these rifles.

I have my own ideas about pros & cons, but Enlighten me please.

Thanks,
Jeff

458 SOCOM for the win!!!
Lob those 400g bullets in there and watch the Elk jump like someone hit him in the head with a baseball bat. Even at sub sonic velocity they're still north of 1K ft at 250 yards

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 6.5 PRC with a 20" barrel that works just fine. I love the cartridge.

I want a rig with a 16" barrel next. I am torn between the 6.5 PRC and 7.08, which I am also a huge fan of.
I will run suppressors and Hornady factory ammo only in these rifles.

I have my own ideas about pros & cons, but Enlighten me please.

Thanks,
Jeff

Why do you want a 16" barrel?

Don't get me wrong my favorite rifle is my 16" 6.5 Grendel and my 2nd is my 11.5" 6.5 Grendel both suppressed. I didn't have my 11.5" when I built my 16". Otherwise, it would have been an 18". I really think that 18"-20" is the sweet spot for a packed hunting rifle. Whether it's suppressed or not.

If it's about weight, I'd recommend a 18" - 20" fluted barrel with a slim profile. You can easily get lighter than almost all off the shelf 16" barrels. If it's about overall length, then have you considered a folding stock?

What did the OP ever decide on?

jeffpg

WKR

Don't get me wrong my favorite rifle is my 16" 6.5 Grendel and my 2nd is my 11.5" 6.5 Grendel both suppressed. I didn't have my 11.5" when I built my 16". Otherwise, it would have been an 18". I really think that 18"-20" is the sweet spot for a packed hunting rifle. Whether it's suppressed or not.

If it's about weight, I'd recommend a 18" - 20" fluted barrel with a slim profile. You can easily get lighter than almost all off the shelf 16" barrels. If it's about overall length, then have you considered a folding stock?

So.... to answer your question, perhaps I should back track a bit here. Being a self proclaimed rifle loony who is NOT in denial, I will admit that I have a dozen custom built long range ultralight hunting rifles in various cartridges. Some of the heavy hitters like 300 RUM, 28 Nosler, 7mm PRC, and bottoming out with the middleweight 6.5 PRC, have 24 to 26 inch long barrels to utilize the powder & power these cartridges offer. These rifles are built with with Pierce titanium or Defiance Anti actions, AG Composites or Manners carbon fiber stocks and Proof Research carbon barrels. I either run a brake or a suppressor, depending on the rifle and the hunting situation.
More recently, I have begun building what I will call my backpack rifles, which are a bit more compact and chambered in smaller cartridges. These are used on extremely strenuous mountain hunts, or on such hunts as I make when utilizing a E-bike when I can wear a backpack with the rifle protected inside. They will also likely make the next African safari. The largest is the 6.5 PRC with the Defiance Anti and a 20" Proof Research carbon barrel in the MDT HNT26 carbon fiber folding chassis/stock that is pretty much the perfect balance of all things in my mind.
I also have a more rugged 7.08 Rem in a different 20" barrel and chassis that is used and abused by myself, friends and clients on ranch hunts. I wanted to build something similar to the 20" barreled PRC in something yet shorter and more compact. I posted the 16" barrel comment above simply fishing for some info from guys who may have had some experience with the cartridges and barrel lengths mentioned. Right after that I had my mind made up for me by Proof on the barrel length after I chose the 7.08, because the 18' is the shortest they offer in 7mm.
So, my current 7.08 Rem cartridge build sports a Defiance Anti action, Proof Research 18" long carbon barrel, TriggerTech Special trigger, and the MDT HNT26 folding chassis & stock.

fun to consider. i think a 6.5CM with the right bullet. that big bullet would be more stable and carry good energy to it's target, be cheaper to shoot a lot of rounds through so you build up more confidence than a .300 win mag too. consider a folding stock gun like the sig cross and then up the length of the barrel is another option then go for a .300 win mag.

dct73

FNG
I don't know what kind of hunting you plan, but when I hear real short barrel I think 358 Winchester. Your not gonna make 600 yards, though. One of the short 6.5's or 7's seems the way to go. I'd still want more barrel than 16" though.

sneaky

"DADDY"
So.... to answer your question, perhaps I should back track a bit here. Being a self proclaimed rifle loony who is NOT in denial, I will admit that I have a dozen custom built long range ultralight hunting rifles in various cartridges. Some of the heavy hitters like 300 RUM, 28 Nosler, 7mm PRC, and bottoming out with the middleweight 6.5 PRC, have 24 to 26 inch long barrels to utilize the powder & power these cartridges offer. These rifles are built with with Pierce titanium or Defiance Anti actions, AG Composites or Manners carbon fiber stocks and Proof Research carbon barrels. I either run a brake or a suppressor, depending on the rifle and the hunting situation.
More recently, I have begun building what I will call my backpack rifles, which are a bit more compact and chambered in smaller cartridges. These are used on extremely strenuous mountain hunts, or on such hunts as I make when utilizing a E-bike when I can wear a backpack with the rifle protected inside. They will also likely make the next African safari. The largest is the 6.5 PRC with the Defiance Anti and a 20" Proof Research carbon barrel in the MDT HNT26 carbon fiber folding chassis/stock that is pretty much the perfect balance of all things in my mind.
I also have a more rugged 7.08 Rem in a different 20" barrel and chassis that is used and abused by myself, friends and clients on ranch hunts. I wanted to build something similar to the 20" barreled PRC in something yet shorter and more compact. I posted the 16" barrel comment above simply fishing for some info from guys who may have had some experience with the cartridges and barrel lengths mentioned. Right after that I had my mind made up for me by Proof on the barrel length after I chose the 7.08, because the 18' is the shortest they offer in 7mm.
So, my current 7.08 Rem cartridge build sports a Defiance Anti action, Proof Research 18" long carbon barrel, TriggerTech Special trigger, and the MDT HNT26 folding chassis & stock.
Build a 7 SAW in a 16" barrel. Factory brass is available, and can run heavies out of it if you do the SAW II chamber profile.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
It's basically an enhanced 7-08 without having to resize brass. Alpha munitions makes brass for it you can get at West Texas Ordnance . I'm a huge fan of the 7-08 as well. Posted up their barrel length and speed chart, Absolute Hammers would bump those speeds a bit, maybe you get lucky and get a fast barrel in a 16" when you order one.
9becc1fb2aa0bbdb3c7d5d9fb49b8d8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: FLS

JP100

WKR
You are asking alot, but still is possible. Using factory ammo only will hinder your options and perfomance.
Suppressors have been standard here(In NZ) for a long time, and there are lots of 16-20" rifles of all sorts.

Boring old .308 works, but 600 is a poke.
For reference my 18" 308 is shooting 165gn seirras at 2700fps, at 600 I have aprox 1700fps and 1000ft/lbs of energy, with 13MOA of elevation. So it would work, but probably not the best
.300wsm is a good option in short barrels, I had a 20" one, and a mate has an 18" one which works well.

I would probably go 300wsm at 18", or a 6.5PRC at 18"

Not many cans will like a 16" magnum.......that shit gets hot haha.

Ask yourself, how many shots are you actually NEEDING to take past say 400?
I have rarely been in a situation where you actually NEED to shoot past say 350/400.

For most hunters, those shot past that range are like 1% of opportunities.
Not saying they are not there, but most of time you can get closer.

If you hand load/step into wildcats there is a whole raft of options that could work better

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider

I ended up with a Tikka in 7 Rem Mag, cut the barrel down to 20", and threw a NX8 4-32 scope and a suppressor on it.

I recently built a 6.5cm with a 16" barrel (22" overall with 6" suppressor) and a 458x2 with a 12" barrel (20" overall with 8" suppressor). I have had them less than a year so the jury is still out. Have a couple deer on the 6.5 but only holes in paper and pigs otherwise.

I built these to replace a 16" marlin 30-30 truck gun and a 22" 243 deer rifle. I wanted built in suppressors so I could hunt with my youngins without worrying about their ears. I couldn't tell you how many pigs are still breathing because the kids didn't have hearing protection handy while driving around.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

6.5 creedmoor
20221014_174747.jpg

458x2
458x2crop.jpg

TX97

FNG
I recently built a 6.5cm with a 16" barrel (22" overall with 6" suppressor) and a 458x2 with a 12" barrel (20" overall with 8" suppressor). I have had them less than a year so the jury is still out. Have a couple deer on the 6.5 but only holes in paper and pigs otherwise.

I built these to replace a 16" marlin 30-30 truck gun and a 22" 243 deer rifle. I wanted built in suppressors so I could hunt with my youngins without worrying about their ears. I couldn't tell you how many pigs are still breathing because the kids didn't have hearing protection handy while driving around.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

6.5 creedmoor
View attachment 557116

458x2
View attachment 557118
Sweet rifles! Are those from Suppressed Weapon Systems?