160gr accubond load issues-help wanted

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
I have been struggling with load development with my 28 nosler. I am using federal/ nosler brass, 160gr accubonds, Federal 215 primers, and 82gr retumbo.

Here's the problem/ s

My very first round I chambered was extremely tough to close the bolt. This is with nosler load data spec of 3.340 coal. I have not attempted to extend the cartridge length at all. I was able to extract the chambered round without firing but it left a groove on one side of the bullet (see images).

I decided to chamber the next round. It chambered pretty well, although more snug than is like, but left a flattened primer (obvious pressure sign).

I decided to chamber one more and extract to examine. It too chambered better but slightly snug. However, it too left a groove one one side of the bullet.

I am at a loss. Anyone ever see this? Is it a problem, aside from high pressure signs? Any help would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220401_153700.jpg
    20220401_153700.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220401_153606.jpg
    20220401_153606.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220401_153717.jpg
    20220401_153717.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 35

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Did it have this problem with just handloads and not factory ammo?
Might be an issue with the throat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Did it have this problem with just handloads and not factory ammo?
Might be an issue with the throat.

I just ran some factory etips through it. 6 out of the 20 in the box are tight just like my hand loads. And, the etips are a shorter cartridge by 10 thousandths

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
I just ran some factory etips through it. 6 out of the 20 in the box are tight just like my hand loads. And, the etips are a shorter cartridge by 10 thousandths
Check the depth to lands. Might be a short throat tight but might be a bad bur Do you have a bore scope? Factory rifle?

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Check the depth to lands. Might be a short throat tight but might be a bad bur Do you have a bore scope? Factory rifle?

I know for a fact I'm not hitting the lands because the scratch is only on 1 side of the bullet. I'm with you though... I'm questioning the throat. Yes it's a factory savage 110 ultralite.

Definitely something with the throating in my opinion. Get in contact with Savage and start talking to them.

If you have a Hornady oal setup then you can pull bolt and slide in and see what you are hitting where. Caliper check your brass but you need a bushing to match datum line. If you can pull bullet check and see how brass closes. Assuming brass was fl resized already.

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
The pics sure look like the bullet is hitting something fairly wide and sharp in the throat or a land. Possible reamer issue. A good borescope is your friend. The pics to savage might do some good but I suspect they would want pics with factory ammo.
Good luck on your quest.

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all. I'm going to contact savage on Monday. I'm 2 months out of warranty but hopefully they'll work with me.

If Savage does not Step Up you should be able to find a local gunsmith with a Savage barrel nut wrench where you can rip the barrel off and just look inside of it directly. With the right tools it's only a couple minutes to take a barrel off and you just need the gauge for resetting it.

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
If Savage does not Step Up you should be able to find a local gunsmith with a Savage barrel nut wrench where you can rip the barrel off and just look inside of it directly. With the right tools it's only a couple minutes to take a barrel off and you just need the gauge for resetting it.
Thank you very much