162 copper impact

ryno1

FNG
Rookie here…I’m considering a 6.8 western for a light-weight hunting rifle. First elk hunt this October. I’m not seeing much in the way of ammo selection. Would the 162 grain copper impact bullets work well? I’m not into reloading yet, so I’m just looking at factory ammo options.
Thanks!

Wrader36

FNG
I believe there's four different factory loads available for the 6.8 western right now. There's a 165 gr accubond long range, a 170 gr ballistic Silvertip, a 175 gr game king, and the 160 gr copper extreme. Out of all those the copper extreme would probably be my last choice, but with that being said I am also a firm believer in shooting the round your gun likes the best. I choose accuracy every time. If your interested in seeing a comparison, I just did a custom 6.8 western build and did a short ammo comparison video on YouTube. You can check it out at honor the wild outdoors.

@ryno1, 6.8 western is a great round, my buddy has one and I believe it is an inherently accurate round. I think it fills a small void in todays “factory” offerings (no need to debate 270wsm vs 6.8 Western). I can’t wait to see how it performs for him in the field. There are different ammo selections out there, but you probably will have to order it.

@Wrader36, awesome video and great job showing how your rifle shoots the available 6.8 Western ammo.