162 ELD-M Review

Jon Boy

WKR
Earlier last spring I picked up a tikka superlite in 7mm/08 for a steal. A buddy of mine that I load with had a lot of load data with the 162 amaxes and tikkas so I figured I would start with 162 ELD-Ms. I was a little hesitant to use a match bullet but was assured at 7/08 speeds it would be a deadly combo. It ended being a very easy rifle/bullet combo to get tuned and shooting impressively and we had a load dialed in our first ladder test. The reduced recoil and only loss of 6.5% in velocity was a welcomed change from my 7 mag. All the while using 42% less powder and in a lighter and handier package.

The 162 has a surprisingly high published BC at .670 G1 and is just on the heels of the 6.5 cal 147 ELD-M (.697 G1) that we hear so much about it. I had the option between the 6.5 CM and 7/08 in this particular rifle. I opted for the 7/08 because of the similar BC's while the little 7 pushing a heavier bullet at the same speeds the CM would push a 147. The heavier bullet was favored due to my obsession for elk hunting and even though the rifle wasnt purchased for the purpose of elk hunting, I knew it would only be a matter of time before the rifle would fall into an elk hunt.

Rifle Specs-
Tikka T3x Superlite
22in fluted barrel
Holland brake
A little dremel work and some bedding work on the factory stock
Nightforce SHV 2.5-10x

Unloaded weight of 7.8 pounds with out bipod

Load Specs-
Lapua Brass
CCI Primer
Healthy dose of varget
162 ELDM

2750 FPS Average

I was only personally on 2 kills with this round this year so take what I have to say as you will. I've had a few people ask for a review on the bullet on game and will keep this updated as seasons come and go.

First up was a 5 point bull my friend Dustin shot using my rifle. The bull appeared at 600 yards and was soon going to make it over a ridge and out of site. Dustin's first shot was beautifully placed behind the shoulder. The bull hunched hard and made it 20 yards down hill where he stopped and appeared to be stiffening up, Dustin isn't one to let an opportunity slip away and no less than 2 seconds after the bull stopped a second round was in flight and impacting the bulls neck. The bull immediately flipped up on his back, legs curled in the air, in dramatic highlight reel knock out fashion.

When we made it down to the bull and began breaking him down I took careful note and documentation of damage done and even gutted him to inspect his lungs. The first bullet impacted through high shoulder blade, made it through the lungs and a chunk of jacket and lead rested in the far shoulder, for what ever reason I cant seem to find that one but it was smaller than the second recovered bullet. The seond bullet was a bit pulled and entered in the neck (at the yellow mark) and was found at the hide in the meat of the opposite shoulder. The weight was a touch over 108 grains for 66.6 % retention. The damage done to the lungs was picture perfect.

rql7BQ2.jpg

Entrance
8CLxxT9.jpg

Entrance side shoulder
rSGhqFH.jpg

Lungs
4BexfuL.jpg

second shot exit
r1mWhFE.jpg

sDxMalp.jpg

Later that day I found myself 250 yards from a mule deer buck. One shot entered just below the backstrap and exited out the far side shoulder meat. The buck hunched hard and went 30 yards. Explosive damage and blood shot occurred. A handful of pieces of jacket were found in the exit. It was dark so I didnt take the time to gut him but by judging by the extensive blood shot on the shoulder I'm fairly certain the lungs were eviscerated.

Entrance
fungWMJ.jpg

Exit
v6TfsF3.jpg

Exit
xJnItiV.jpg

In closing, I will continue to use these bullets for as long as they make them. I'm sure some will not like the results but they did everything I want in a bullet.

HOWEVER, I would not recommend using these bullets on bone at close distances, particularly elk shoulder blades inside 200 yards. But I am very confident in my rifle and know I can thread a needle with it inside those ranges so it is not a major concern of mine. Also, I'm not sure how I feel using these bullets in a magnum caliber at excessive velocities but I'll leave that up to some one else to find out.

-JB

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Jon boy always great to see the 08 get some love. I always worry about Tikka mag length nice to know it's a problem with these.

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
I just realized this was posted in the long range forum and not firearms. Its probably more pertinent in the other so feel free to move admin if you'd like!

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
Its a relatively new bullet and I've yet to see another person run one on game and I had a number of people ask me about it. I agree its hard to review a bullet off of 2 game animals, but at some point in time some one is going to want something to go off of and this is what I know. I will continue using them.

Curious as to why you chose the eldm and not the eldx for your testing.

I ran the eldx in a 3006 this year. 180 grain at about 2700 fps. Results were good on two whitetail dies. Both about 100 yards. My only issue is blood shot meet on the offside shoulder. I'll probably play with some mono bullets to see if I like them.

I have always been on the fence about match style or cup and core bullets due to the explosiveness and resulting blood shot that can occur (especially on smallish deer) but the do destroy the internal organs which is ultimately what we are looking for.

codym

WKR
I was working with these in my 280 ai. It got good speed with h4831sc and decent accuracy 3/4 moa. I didn’t mess with seating depth but think I could have got them to shoot a little better. I had issues with keeping my ES down, but I think that was a brass issue. I’m trying the 168 vlds right now and so far they are shooting 1/2 moa at 2920 FPS. I still want to try the Sierra Gamechangers and the 175 ABLR. I’m looking for a longer range coues deer load.I may come back to the Eldms in the future. Thanks for taking the time to review these on game.

I ran the eldx in a 3006 this year. 180 grain at about 2700 fps. Results were good on two whitetail dies. Both about 100 yards. My only issue is blood shot meet on the offside shoulder. I'll probably play with some mono bullets to see if I like them.

I have always been on the fence about match style or cup and core bullets due to the explosiveness and resulting blood shot that can occur (especially on smallish deer) but the do destroy the internal organs which is ultimately what we are looking for.

Not to speak for the OP but the ELDm has a notably higher BC. The less complicated bullet make up might result in better consistency too.

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR

Higher BC, a good amount of load data with tikkas and the 162AMAX and using a lower velocity round I wasn't too worried about having a lighter constructed bullet. I understand the skepticism with hunting with match bullets though! I was there myself but having a good understanding of their capabilities has my mind at ease for the time being.