162gr ELD-X or SST for Eastern Moose

ColeyG

WKR
I know the bullet was traveling slower than a 300 WM at comparable distances. But folks on this forum tend to express their frustration about the ELD-X's ineffectiveness on a variety of game. There has not been nearly as much conversation about caliber, grains, impact velocities, impact location, etc. which should happen.

I merely was pointing out that this oft maligned bullet can effectively kill game significantly larger than a bull elk. Doesn't make it the right choice for all scenarios but that magical bullet does not exist (despite what marketing groups claim).

For sure.

My MV is 2848 on the factory Precision Hunter rounds and I've matched this with my ELD-X reloads.

My MV on the 6.5CM is 2629.

I seem to wind up shooting at things between 200 and 300 yards more often than not.

So neither of these loads are really screaming. I could see the bullet having issues with higher velocity impacts. I am definitely not defending the ELD-X or recommending it, but rather just sharing my observations and experiences. So far I've been pleased with accuracy and terminal performance.

For sure.

My MV is 2848 on the factory Precision Hunter rounds and I've matched this with my ELD-X reloads.

My MV on the 6.5CM is 2629.

I seem to wind up shooting at things between 200 and 300 yards more often than not.

So neither of these loads are really screaming. I could see the bullet having issues with higher velocity impacts. I am definitely not defending the ELD-X or recommending it, but rather just sharing my observations and experiences. So far I've been pleased with accuracy and terminal performance.
It’s all good.

Hard enough to find the “right” bullet for any given situation in the good times. Quite a bit harder now.

Picked up some Federal Terminal Ascent for my 308 Win as I was getting low on ELD-X for it. So far it’s looking very promising at least from what I’ve seen at the range. Producing comparable groups to the ELD-X and gained quite a bit of velocity; gained about 50 yards of usable hunting distance. Hopefully will get a shot opportunity on a large boar (black bear) this year.

z987k

WKR
I have also shot a Moose with an ELD-X, fairly close. It worked, but wasn't the most ideal. If it's all I had, I wouldn't hesitate to go hunt moose with it, you'd just have to pick the correct shots and pass on anything that isn't in the head or behind the shoulder where it'll encounter little to no bone.

Thanks everyone. I’ll look into Barnes, but I have given up hope on trying to find any Noslers. Any specific suggestion on Barnes? If there any leads on Noslers it would be appreciated.

If you're thinking of a mono and can't find Barnes, just order some Badlands bulldozers or hammers. Always available, just cost a bit more. Either will work fine out of your 280AI, and are what I take moose hunting.

OP
Robbo857

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
I have also shot a Moose with an ELD-X, fairly close. It worked, but wasn't the most ideal. If it's all I had, I wouldn't hesitate to go hunt moose with it, you'd just have to pick the correct shots and pass on anything that isn't in the head or behind the shoulder where it'll encounter little to no bone.

If you're thinking of a mono and can't find Barnes, just order some Badlands bulldozers or hammers. Always available, just cost a bit more. Either will work fine out of your 280AI, and are what I take moose hunting.

Ordered 100 Barnes TTSX and was able to secure 60 Accubonds. I’ll see if I can work up a load with the Barnes: if not, I’ll go with the Accubonds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caleb777

FNG
Ordered 100 Barnes TTSX and was able to secure 60 Accubonds. I’ll see if I can work up a load with the Barnes: if not, I’ll go with the Accubonds.

Very good! I think you’ll be more than satisfied with the TTSX

OP
Robbo857

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
I once read a hunting account, can't recall where...

Hunter got a solid shot at a stud of bull, the bull's hide was covered in dried, caked mud and when the hunter shot, the bullet imploded on the dry mud and the animal walked away.

Any bullet will work, but if this is an important hunt then buy your bullets for the 5% chance you'll need superior penetration so we all aren't reading a sad story later.

JL

This is hunt has been in the making for 2+ years now and agree I’d hate to lose an animal because I “settled” on a bullet.

I’ve never hunted anything as large as a moose before, so I want to make sure I take everything into account to be successful. Thanks for your input.

amassi

WKR
I once read a hunting account, can't recall where...

Hunter got a solid shot at a stud of bull, the bull's hide was covered in dried, caked mud and when the hunter shot, the bullet imploded on the dry mud and the animal walked away.

Any bullet will work, but if this is an important hunt then buy your bullets for the 5% chance you'll need superior penetration so we all aren't reading a sad story later.

JL
That is the origin story why John Nosler developed the nolser partition.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
a7d17705bac2f33e0e61de274a1c7eb4.jpg

Trouble is finding any of those bullets in this market. I’ve searched and searched and have not been able to find any Accubonds or Partitions.

With the availability of powders being low I can’t afford to develop one load only to redevelop once I’m able to get my hands on some.

Out of the two it would have to be the ELD-X for me. However, like the others have said if it all possible I’d use a different ammo. I used federal nosler partitions on mine and it still took two shots (all in the vitals).

Both will kill em high and kill em low kill em anywhere you go.
This post count deal is a pain!

ianpadron

WKR
I know you said to keep it between those bullets but I wouldn't hunt with either if I had the choice, unless I was planning on 300 yds being considered short range.

ELDXs are known to grenade at short range or when put through a shoulder. I've had 2 REALLY bad experiences with the 143s inside 300 yds out of a lowly 6.5 Needmoor. SSTs are some of the most explosive deer bullets ever made.

Keep either one of em behind the shoulder and you should be OK, bit if you can scrounge up something tougher that won't blow up at close range you'll be a lot better off.

OP
Robbo857

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
I know you said to keep it between those bullets but I wouldn't hunt with either if I had the choice, unless I was planning on 300 yds being considered short range.

ELDXs are known to grenade at short range or when put through a shoulder. I've had 2 REALLY bad experiences with the 143s inside 300 yds out of a lowly 6.5 Needmoor. SSTs are some of the most explosive deer bullets ever made.

Keep either one of em behind the shoulder and you should be OK, bit if you can scrounge up something tougher that won't blow up at close range you'll be a lot better off.
Going to try some Barnes TTSXs and I was also able to find some AccuBonds. I should get something to work as I’m expecting most shots will be 200 yards or less. Thanks for the input.

MJB

WKR
SST destroys soft tissue liver & lungs are gone.
All my elk have been taken with one shot neck, broadside and one TX heart shot with the SST 06 180gr loaded hot!

ColeyG

WKR

I'd be curious to know more about those experiences and the outcomes if you are willing to share. I shoot the 143s out of a 6.5 as well.

ianpadron

WKR
I'd be curious to know more about those experiences and the outcomes if you are willing to share. I shoot the 143s out of a 6.5 as well.
There's an ELDX thread on here somewhere where I go into detail on both. Bunch of other guys with similar experiences in that thread. They are sweet bullets due to accuracy in factory rifles imho.

Black bear at 290ish yards (exact distance in the other thread) steep raking shot right to left with bear facing left. ELDX in behind front left shoulder, pop can sized exit between right front quarter and chest, shrapnel everywhere. Bear was obviously dead after that shot but ran about 30 yards towards some dark timber, so I sent another one right as the bear began rolling around, hit the rear quarter and nuked the whole thing. What a mess.

Mule deer at 177 yards off hand, first shot a wee bit back, penciled right through. Follow up shot at 25 yards right behind the shoulder, complete explosion. Sure 25 yds is close, but that bullet was only going about 2600 fps, which is what an ELDX will be moving at out of a 7mm at like 300 yds or further.

I've shot 2 deer at sub 25 yards with a 140 Berger Hybrid Hunter out of my 270 WSM runnin 3400 FPS and they held together better than the ELDX, and one buck at 260ish with a complete pass through WITH a properly expanded bullet.

Just my experiences.

ianpadron

WKR
Thanks for the details. All good info for the hopper.
You bet man.

To complicate things you can watch a BOTW kill shot compilation on YouTube where the 143 steam rolls multiple bull elk out past 800 yards out of a 6.5x284....

Ymmv