168 vs 175 gr ABLR’s in 7mm

I’ve got both 168 and 175 gr Accubond long range bullets on the reloading bench. Debating which one to work up a load for Elk this fall. It would be out of a 22in 7mm SAUM with H4350. Started to break in the barrel with 168 gr HPBT’s and getting great results.

I typically lean toward the heaviest bullets I can shoot, but the 168s actually out perform the 175s on paper until 700 yards or so, which is about my max range under perfect conditions anyway.

Any input from those of you who have used either would be appreciated!

Forest

WKR
Tagging along as I'm just starting a 7saum build myself. Long term I intend to use hammers but will probably do my break in and plinking with one of the bullets you listed. Seems odd they offer both of them so close together in weight. I'll be on long action so no length restrictions and therefore leaning towards the 175

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’ll offer one consideration: Velocity at max pressure vs energy.

those bullets like other LR style hunting bullets (eldx) are thinner skinned IMO to allow expansion an lower velocities.

the trade off is at higher velocities they don’t hold together as well. I’ve had amazing experiences with eldx at 2800fps impacts and horrible experiences with the same at 3100fps impacts.

I went up to 175s to allow me to maintain high (actually a tad higher) energy levels down range but slowing the muzzle velocity down a bit to give me a tad bit more useable close in range without worrying about blowing up a bullet. I’d estimate the difference in max pressure velocity somewhere around 75-100fps between the two.

That’s 100yds closer to getting to my 2800fps sweet spot I look for as a maximum with those types of bullets.

hope that helps some.

I’ll add for reference out of my 23” 7WSM the 175ABLR max out at 3025fps.

OP
B
I’ll offer one consideration: Velocity at max pressure vs energy.

those bullets like other LR style hunting bullets (eldx) are thinner skinned IMO to allow expansion an lower velocities.

the trade off is at higher velocities they don’t hold together as well. I’ve had amazing experiences with eldx at 2800fps impacts and horrible experiences with the same at 3100fps impacts.

I went up to 175s to allow me to maintain high (actually a tad higher) energy levels down range but slowing the muzzle velocity down a bit to give me a tad bit more useable close in range without worrying about blowing up a bullet. I’d estimate the difference in max pressure velocity somewhere around 75-100fps between the two.

That’s 100yds closer to getting to my 2800fps sweet spot I look for as a maximum with those types of bullets.

hope that helps some.

I’ll add for reference out of my 23” 7WSM the 175ABLR max out at 3025fps.
That’s a great point about impact velocity with long range bullets. Had a bad experience with ELD-X and swore them off. Definitely sticking to something bonded this time. I would’ve preferred to shoot LRX’s but they are impossible to find, ABLRs are the only quality LR bullet I could get my hands on.

OP
B
Tagging along as I'm just starting a 7saum build myself. Long term I intend to use hammers but will probably do my break in and plinking with one of the bullets you listed. Seems odd they offer both of them so close together in weight. I'll be on long action so no length restrictions and therefore leaning towards the 175

I’m loving the SAUM so far. I’m 15 rounds into load development and have two .5 MOA five round groups.

I’ve got both 168 and 175 gr Accubond long range bullets on the reloading bench. Debating which one to work up a load for Elk this fall. It would be out of a 22in 7mm SAUM with H4350. Started to break in the barrel with 168 gr HPBT’s and getting great results.

I typically lean toward the heaviest bullets I can shoot, but the 168s actually out perform the 175s on paper until 700 yards or so, which is about my max range under perfect conditions anyway.

Any input from those of you who have used either would be appreciated!
Based on my experience last year shooting a 6x6 at 800 yards with the 175 ablrs in my 7mm I'd advise looking for another bullet.
They are about the worst bullet I've used, the tip grenades like crazy up close, and at distance expansion doesn't run deep enough for a good wound channel.

My wife shot a nice bull with the 142s last year, three shots in the vitals at 100 yards and every one splattered.
We had to track him down to finish the job.

I'd go with a 168 or 180 Berger anyday over the ABLRs

Forest

WKR
Based on my experience last year shooting a 6x6 at 800 yards with the 175 ablrs in my 7mm I'd advise looking for another bullet.
They are about the worst bullet I've used, the tip grenades like crazy up close, and at distance expansion doesn't run deep enough for a good wound channel.

My wife shot a nice bull with the 142s last year, three shots in the vitals at 100 yards and every one splattered.
We had to track him down to finish the job.

I'd go with a 168 or 180 Berger anyday over the ABLRs
Unfortunately I can't say a whole lot better about the bergers or eld-x. I'm to the point I can't hardly trust any of these high bc cup and core bullets anymore, at least for elk.
The terminal ascent bullet worked fantastic for us last year out of a 300wsm. Sure wish they had a heavier 7mm.

83cj-7

WKR
First, I’d like to say that I’ve never shot an Elk 😢, however I have shot lots of deer with lots of different bullets. I am sold on the 168 ABLR. I am shooting them at 2850 out of a 280 Rem and have had amazing performance. Caliber size entry, quarter size exits and totally destroyed vitals. Only one deer has run after being hit, it didn’t go far. Twice now I have sent one long ways through a deer. Internals were totally destroyed but the bullet tracked nearly straight though the deer it’s full body length and exited. I’d say at my speeds the bullet is the perfect combination of expansion and penetration. Shots have been from 15 yards to 470 yards.

I was shooting the 162 ELD-x at the same speed. That bullet twas a grenade, sometimes never fully penetrating a broadside deer! I’ve shot LOTS of deer with many different bullets and cartridges but I’ve never seen a bullet with both terminal performance and penetration that the 168 ABLR delivers.

Everyone’s experiences are different, this is mine for what it’s worth.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Buckeye, I’ve got a bull elk tag for October and I’m sort of in the same decision spot as you; however, my choices in my 7SAUM are the 168 ABLR or the berger 175 elite hunter. Most likely going to take the most accurate load. Using 58.5 to 59 grains R23 in ADG brass.
If I can’t get either to around 1/2 MOA, I’ll just take my 6.5 SAUM with the trusty 139 scenar or a 142 ABLR if I get a load worked up for that bullet.

OP
B
Buckeye, I’ve got a bull elk tag for October and I’m sort of in the same decision spot as you; however, my choices in my 7SAUM are the 168 ABLR or the berger 175 elite hunter. Most likely going to take the most accurate load. Using 58.5 to 59 grains R23 in ADG brass.
If I can’t get either to around 1/2 MOA, I’ll just take my 6.5 SAUM with the trusty 139 scenar or a 142 ABLR if I get a load worked up for that bullet.
So I loaded up and shot the 175gr ABLRs yesterday. I was sorely disappointed in the accuracy. Tried a .065 jump to the lands (I heard ABLRs like a longer jump) and the first two ladder tests were over one MOA.

Meanwhile when I worked up a 168gr HPBT load I had 5/6 five shot groups that were sub half MOA, best being a .432” Best part was that was initial break in.

I’m going to try another group with a .100 jump and if it still looks like shit I might sell all my bullets and try Hammer Hunters. They are in stock, have a much better reputation it seems for terminal ballistics, and still get me to 700 yards easy which is my comfortable max range.

So I loaded up and shot the 175gr ABLRs yesterday. I was sorely disappointed in the accuracy. Tried a .065 jump to the lands (I heard ABLRs like a longer jump) and the first two ladder tests were over one MOA.

Meanwhile when I worked up a 168gr HPBT load I had 5/6 five shot groups that were sub half MOA, best being a .432” Best part was that was initial break in.

I’m going to try another group with a .100 jump and if it still looks like shit I might sell all my bullets and try Hammer Hunters. They are in stock, have a much better reputation it seems for terminal ballistics, and still get me to 700 yards easy which is my comfortable max range.
Ablrs shot accurately in my rifles but they weren't very consistent at long range, I think there's some BC variation going on with them given the weird poi changes I observed.
Again the real deal breaker was poor terminal performance

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had limited experience w/ the 7mm ABLR 168gr on game. It was a 330yd shot on a mule deer, and it punched through the ribs, heart, and ribs on the other side and then was caught in the “tricep” muscle on the offside. I fully expected complete pass through performance on deer sized game, but bullets do weird things as they pass through different media. Weight retention was 50-60%
I’ve since changed to Federal TLR and Nosler E-Tips. One of these days I’ll break down and get some Hammers.

83cj-7

WKR
444, what was your muzzle velocity? Just curious because I’ve never been able to stop one in a game animal.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
MV was ~3075fps, so it should've been 2500-2600fps impact velocity. I was disappointed, but then realized what it had passed through. Hide, bone, heart, bone, possibly hide (going between offside rib and into the leg) and ultimately tricep.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you--I agree that it worked as designed. It's a softer bullet, for sure. I was happy to find an accurate load with it, especially since it has the same POI as every other accurate* load I've developed for my 7mm Mag (Proof barrel) and I still have 30rds or so leftover, so I know I can fall back on them if I run out of my other bullets.

mmac

WKR
I used the 175's on an elk at 500, opened perfect and found in the back hide. I would go with which one is most accurate....

Yeah I don't know how that deer could be any more dead lol. If you want an exit hole, aim for the lungs and eat the heart

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I don't know how that deer could be any more dead lol. If you want an exit hole, aim for the lungs and eat the heart
I'm just one of those guys that likes exit holes, and thought since it was a bonded bullet, it would give me one on deer-sized game. It performed, but I've gone to other projectiles that only stop when they hit dirt, after the exit.