16D Gila Rifle Tag for Disabled Veteran

Well, I drew what may well be a once in a lifetime tag. Mobility Impaired Rifle Elk in 16D from 8-12 October. I've hunted New Mexico before, but in the Lincoln, never the Gila. Live in South Dakota and limited to eScouting until a couple days before the hunt.

Would love to talk to someone familiar with the area who has hunted it. Yes, I know its thick with bulls. I have a lot of logistics questions about road conditions, car camping vs spike camping, water availability, and more. I'm mobility impaired, but have been training to put in the extra mile for this hunt of a lifetime. Any friendly advice or conversation is appreciated. Thank you.

I was in 16 a few weeks ago for an antelope hunt with my dad. Very soggy. They have had a 130 year rainfall this summer and it's still raining. All the tanks, springs and creeks should have plenty of water. The Gila looks like Ireland right now no exaggeration. Not sure how the roads will be in Oct but there were quite a few areas that were off limits in August due to wash outs, mud holes etc. One thing I will say is you will see some of the prettiest country God ever put together. Congrats and good luck let me know if there are any other questions you may have.

Mojave

WKR
Hunted it two years ago the same tag. Also DAV. A lot of the forest services roads were closed. Did not kill out or see much. This yesr with the rain it will be better. Most elk wete in 16a.

11boo

WKR
Don’t know the area, but it sounds like you have a outstanding opportunity to tag one. Are you hooking up with someone to help with game recovery?.

beautiful area for sure.

Hunted there 3 yrs ago. Decent road access but you won't see any Big Bulls from the road.
Very thick steep terrain. Maybe extra water/rain will make have the Bulls more out in the open.
I found it a beautiful unit but very hard to hunt.