16ga O/U Recommendations

Eagle

WKR
Looking for recommendations on a 16ga o/u for upland bird hunting. Budget max is 2k, which I know takes a lot of guns out of the equation, but just can't justify any more than that.

Spoonbill

WKR
Sportsmans Warehouse had Browning 525 16 gauges on sale for around 1800. I think they were originally 2200. Could be a good option. CDNN Sports may have some too.

SoDaky

WKR
Love and have Citoris.never have shot the Franchis but a hardcore friend swears by his.The $1800 sounds like a good price.

WKR
Bought a Citori White Lightning with a rebate on it new for $1460. Had Simmons gun specialties in Olathe, KS install a nice recoil pad to provide me a little extra lop. And using some aftermarket choke tubes Skeet 2 and Improved Modified. Long way of saying, I really like mine. Has the 28" barrels.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
Appreciate all the input, still no closer on a decision, haha. I will say that I don't seem to naturally point the brownings all that well compared to the franchis just shouldering them in a cabelas, so I'm probably headed toward a franchi.

letrbuck

WKR
If you want something that is relatively recent or new production, and in your price range, the Franchi Instinct or various Citori configurations are about your only options.

Vintage opens it up a bit more, or a higher budget. That said, the Franchi and Citori are both fabulous guns. My primary upland gun is a 16ga Citori Superlight Feather. I also have a Dehaan that I ordered almost 15 years ago that was my primary gun until last year.

Cruise Gunbroker and be patient. There are several decent 16ga citoris on there right now for under your price range. Earlier this week a Citori Feather in fabulous shape sold for 700 bucks. Whoever bought it stole it... smokin deal. They come along if you wait and watch. PM me and I can send you some links

Jimbo2312

FNG
+1 on taking your time on gunbroker, I loved my Citori in 16ga. Ended up switching to side by sides, something about the way they point. I love the old stuff, but that's just me. Good luck!

Bdub85

FNG
Based on what you are saying I would go with the Franchi. It is in your price range and fits better, I will take fit and function over looks any day. That being said most of the Franchi OUs that I have seen look pretty good as well.

Terrapin

WKR
For pure upland hunting I really like Franchi SL. I have been hunting with one in 28 gauge exclusively for the last couple years. I also enjoy using it for recreational skeet and sporting clays. My scores are nearly on par with my dedicated clays guns, and my fun level is higher. I had one in 12 gauge and mistakenly got rid of it. I attempted to use it for a dedicated clays gun and struggled with the auto resetting safety (which is easy to disconnect).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've pretty well decided on a Franchi at this point and have a connection that'll allow me to save a few hundred on a new one as well, so it's a tough deal to pass up.

2ski

WKR
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've pretty well decided on a Franchi at this point and have a connection that'll allow me to save a few hundred on a new one as well, so it's a tough deal to pass up.
Did you get one and how are you liking it of so? Thinking about getting one.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
Did you get one and how are you liking it of so? Thinking about getting one.
Never did, ended up moving and getting in to sporting clay shooting, so currently waiting for a yildiz legacy HPS 12g to show up at my local academy sports.