17 Below Zero at Idaho Falls

shaun

WKR
Sounds a tit bit nipplie haha I drove through there 2 years ago in December. That place was coooooold

-17 is a bit cold. That is awesome dedication getting out there Robby! The times I've been out that way in Idaho Falls fly fishing and drifting the Snake river for Cutthroat trout it has been a lot warmer than that. :) I'll gather you will see only the most dedicated outdoorsman out today out your way.

Shrek

WKR
It's really rough here too ! 71 degees and partly cloudy! So warm I didn't bother to hunt this last weekend of the season . Thinking adout -17 degrees keeps me from moving to the rockies.

sk1

WKR
i was stationed in north dakota at one point, i dont miss treestand hunting whitetails in january with -20 to -40 below zero.....i feel your pain! my eyelashes would freeze my eyes closed when i would blink lol

Yes its been cold here in Nodak the last few days. -30. Going coyote hunting/deer scouting tomorrow.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
When I left the house at 7:30 am, it was almost 19 below.

I did glass a few square miles of winter range this morning, Fish and Game has closed a lot of our winter range to human access, which is great by me, so you have to get back a few miles and glass to see the bucks.

Looking pretty good, I saw 3 or 4 good bucks, with the best around a 30" outside spread (rare around here) and the others in the 160-180 class. Deer are really high due to the low snow depths. They seem to be doing well despite the cold as they still have access to browse.

If this continues, SE Idaho and W. Wyo should have some good bucks available, although we are down on buck numbers and buck:doe ratios due to the hard winters of 07/08 and 10/11.

What is out there seems to be good as is often the case a few years after bad winters.

I did NOT see any one antlered bucks, yet.

Here's a toad I photographed (film, not digital) a few years back. 220"+ buck on public land general unit. Bucks like this keep me searching for more.
attachment.php

Robby,

Do you ever see big bucks in with does and smaller bucks this time of year? It seems like the ones here in MT go off away from the rest of the herd.

RUTTIN

WKR
When I left for church at 9:00am it was -17 here too in Utah. About a week ago I worked in Cokeville Wyoming and it was -28 for a better part of the day.