.17 Fireball for coyotes

I build an AR chambered in .17 FB. I love it and it's a great shooter for prairie dogs with 20gr Vmaxes. However it's a nice lightweight AR that I'd love to take through the sandhills. I'm going to develop a 25gr Hornady HP load for it. I have a .17 Remington that I love for coyotes so I'd suspect the fireball would be nearly as effective.

Who uses .17 Fireball on yotes?

WCB

WKR
I use a .17 Hornet sometimes (mostly .223) and my buddy uses a .17 rem 25gr and his only loading it to about 2950fps. I'd imagine you'd be pushing it as fast or faster as his load. Be a great yote round IMO.

OP
sandhill_hunter
I use a .17 Hornet sometimes (mostly .223) and my buddy uses a .17 rem 25gr and his only loading it to about 2950fps. I'd imagine you'd be pushing it as fast or faster as his load. Be a great yote round IMO.
I'm pushing mine to over 4000fps...

I use a 17 Remington, but a buddy of mine uses a 17 FB. My next one will be a Fireball. Both are great if your saving pelts, but his Fireball is way easier on barrels.

Thinking about a 20 Practical for an AR though, as I won't be so worried about losing brass.

OP
sandhill_hunter
I use a 17 Remington, but a buddy of mine uses a 17 FB. My next one will be a Fireball. Both are great if your saving pelts, but his Fireball is way easier on barrels.

Thinking about a 20 Practical for an AR though, as I won't be so worried about losing brass.
I was going to go to Prac. But the 17 FB barrel showed up at a price I couldn't refuse. I love it, just need to develop a 25gr Hornady HP load.

I use a brass catcher on my ARs. It's kind of a pain especially if you have to clear your gun.

I was going to go to Prac. But the 17 FB barrel showed up at a price I couldn't refuse. I love it, just need to develop a 25gr Hornady HP load.

I use a brass catcher on my ARs. It's kind of a pain especially if you have to clear your gun.

I was just going to ask if people used a brass catcher while hunting?

17 brass of any flavor is expensive, when you can find it.

WCB

WKR
I was just going to ask if people used a brass catcher while hunting?

17 brass of any flavor is expensive, when you can find it.
I Shoot a bolt so not I just grab my brass...but I know 2 maybe 3 guys that use them on their ARs while yote hunting.

Goodolboy

FNG
Nice! I have a model 7 in a fireball and love it. Need to shoot more coyotes with it. I have had 1 coyote get away but that I think was from bad place shot. You said it was a lightweight? Trying to build a AR for my 10 year old boy, what was your build like? Any info much appreciated

OP
sandhill_hunter
Nice! I have a model 7 in a fireball and love it. Need to shoot more coyotes with it. I have had 1 coyote get away but that I think was from bad place shot. You said it was a lightweight? Trying to build a AR for my 10 year old boy, what was your build like? Any info much appreciated
Yeah it's under 7 lbs I think. I've never weighed it. But it has a 20" dead shot barrel on it, aero upper receiver. PSA EPT lower. The rail is awesome and it's a Presma. Super simple design. It's really light. MLoK.

I threw a redifled 6-18 (Leopold vx2) on it.

Hogue grips are a necessity for me.

I’ve got one in 17 practical in a McGowan barrel and it’s a fantastic little gun. I had some trouble with 20g Vmax so I started using 25g bergers and they seemed to be the ticket for me. I sometimes run a brass catcher but for as often as I shoot it I tend to just let the brass fly and forget about it.

I also hunt coyotes in the Sandhills year round when possible.

OP
sandhill_hunter
I’ve got one in 17 practical in a McGowan barrel and it’s a fantastic little gun. I had some trouble with 20g Vmax so I started using 25g bergers and they seemed to be the ticket for me. I sometimes run a brass catcher but for as often as I shoot it I tend to just let the brass fly and forget about it.

I also hunt coyotes in the Sandhills year round when possible.
17 prac is a good alternative with way cheaper brass to the 17 Rem. My son wants to build an AR and wanted it in 17 rem and I suggested 17 practical.

I've heard the 25gr Bergers are a good coyote bullet.

I'm in North Central Nebraska just south of the SD state line.

I shot a few with my 17fb that I ended up selling (regret it)... it worked great. One of the best coyote hunters, Dave Affleck used his 17machIV (basically the same as a 17fb) for 2 seasons and stated it was an amazing coyote slayer.

I'm building a 17fb on a Howa Mini action right now. Pac-Nor barrel, B&C stock with Jefferson Outdoor Bottom Metal. Looking forward to getting back into the 17fb game.

17yote.jpeg

Last edited:

RNhuntAK

FNG
I've been pretty happy with my .17 hornet on coyotes. Fast accurate and no pelt damage on these heavy furred Alaskan song dogs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230107-143137~2.png
    Screenshot_20230107-143137~2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20230107-143237~2.png
    Screenshot_20230107-143237~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13