17 hmr hornady 17g v-max

I am just shocked on how much damage these rounds do. Just tonight I sniped a rabbit at 60 yards in the head and here was just nothing left. I used these rounds for a while now but I'm still blown away on the amount of damage they can do.

RS3579

WKR
I agree. They are good at termination and accuracy. I use them on squirrels. Head shots only. They shoot fantastic out of my Savage model 93 bull barrel.

Lawnboi

WKR
They are good at killing things. Keep one loaded for vermin/predators around the house at all times.

It’s surprisingly capable. 150 and in it blows stuff up. 285 is my personal longest pdog kill with mine.

Rob5589

WKR
They are nasty little things. I shot a huge jackrabbit at about 40 yds broadside and when I grabbed it up the offside chest wall was basically missing.

johnsd16

WKR
Agree they are like a magic wand on small things, crows, squirrels, pdogs, woodchucks, but you have to be cautious on ramge and shot placement on bigger stuff like coons, fox and coyotes. I have had a marlin 917v for more than 15 years that I recently had threaded for for my TBAC 22 takedown suppressor. Love it.

TheGDog

WKR
RE: .17 HMR effectiveness

I literally.... shot a cottontail offhand at 60yds a year or so ago... so since it was freehand I decided it'd be wise instead of aiming for Head or front shoulders... I allowed myself to drift more closer to its rib-cage before pulling the trigger. Just so area on the body was a little bigger, less chance to miss.

I sh*t you not.... the shot must have entered just below the diaphragm... because the diaphragm was intact... so his heart and lungs where intact... but EVERYTHING below the diaphragm? It ALL got cleanly and completely removed from from his body! It also broken the pelvis open too. The shot LITERALLY gutted him out!

Poor lil guy was trying to make for the bushes with just his fronts pulling him along. Felt bad about that, and hurried up to give him the coup de grace.

Dominic06

FNG
I know a guy who killed a wild hog with a 17hmr, shot em in the head and dropped it dead in its tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Another violent round is the Hornady .223 Rem 35gr NTX Lead-Free Varmint round! 4000fps!

I am just shocked on how much damage these rounds do. Just tonight I sniped a rabbit at 60 yards in the head and here was just nothing left. I used these rounds for a while now but I'm still blown away on the amount of damage they can do.
it seriously doesn't make sense how much damage they do. on jack rabbits, the little 17gr bullets are way more devastating than a 350gr xtp fired from a s&w 500.... kinda hard to wrap your head around, but it's certainly true, and it's not close.

i don't know the range they start falling off in effectiveness, but i know out to 175yds they still wreck rock chucks making a mess. we killed some coyotes with 17's, and they are pretty dang effective even for them.

I like mine on prairie dogs to 180 yds or so. Beyond that you had to shoot them like a big game animal in the chest and they were not dead right there. My furthest shot was 265 yds quartering away. PD made it about 20 feet with the 17 V-Max in the lungs.

The various hollow point rounds, 17 or 20 grain bullets are not near as explosive as the V-max. They also ricochet more along the ground than the V-max but are a better choice for larger varmints.

TheGDog

WKR
I get extremely precise accuracy out of the Hornady NTX 15.5gr rounds in my Savage 93R17 w/ the Bull Barrel. Farthest Ground Squirrel to date has been 104yds.

STAGHOUND

FNG
I have recently sighted in my savage 17 hmr with the Hornady v max it shoots great! here are the groups

Attachments

• 17hmr groups.jpg
    17hmr groups.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 2