17 WSM

three5x5s

WKR
Been wanting a rimfire with a little more range, was thinking 22 Hornet, but looks like the 17 WSM would do about the same. Pretty limited in rifle choice either way. Any thoughts?? Have one?

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I have one, savage B Mag. Its ok, ammo choices are limited, it blows up squirrels but I shot a coyote broadside and it just jumped and ran 50 yards and I finished it with the AR.

If I could do it again I would get a 17 HMR or 22 Mag depending on what you're intended game is. Savage makes both in an autoloader and Ruger has their precision rimfire bolt gun in both calibers as well. I'm always a sucker for the wildcats but this one just didnt stick.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have a Savage Bmag (Gen 2) that is accurate. .437 MOA
I use it for predator hunting and love it. Only issue I've had was had to replace the extractor spring-One call to Savage and it was free and here in 2 days.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 AR’s in 17WSM that I built with Franklin Armory Uppers; one carbine and one varmint. Very accurate and probably good for hunting anything up to and including groundhogs, fox and raccoon....maybe coyote. If building one you may have to use a heavier trigger spring to reliably set off the priming compound; cases tend to be heavier than normal rimfire in order to contain the high pressures. I used a Hiperfire trigger but replaced the hammer spring with a heavy wolf spring. Love the guns and the cartridge. Relatively inexpensive to shoot without having to reload

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
When I first read the title I thought someone had necked down the other WSM case: Winchester Short Magnum!! That would be an insane cartridge.

digger

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2. One Volquartsen and one Savage bolt.I really like them both,,wicked accurate.Each has taken several coyotes.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I vote 22 mag also. I shoot a pile of rimfire and nothing smacks a critter like the mag. At the ranges you start to benefit from the bc of the 17 they don't have the punch to do anything.

If you do get a Bmag, get an aftermarket bolt handle. The handle will take care of 99% of the problems that I had with the rifle. I loved my Bmag, killed a coyote at 286 yards with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk