18 moose alaska

Thomas11

WKR
Ok guys I’m looking at doing a true DIY moose hunt in Alaska potentially next fall. I’ve got a lot of research in at this point. I’m pretty much settled on unit 18 but I have some specific questions about logistics getting from bethel to certain river drainages and extraction and available air taxis there. I don’t want to use the transporters there like papa bear or renfroes etc. I understand they offer a great service but I want a true DIY hunt and their prices are ridiculous at this point. I’m ok going home empty handed. Anyone w knowledge of the area I’d appreciate any feedback. I have three rivers I’m interested in but very much open to other ideas. I didn’t want to mention them here but PMs are good. Thanks

Start typing "name of nearby village transporters" into Google. You can also start sifting through 58 pages of transporters on here: https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/cbp/main/Search/Professional

I guess I don't understand how the places in Bethel aren't true DIY or how hiring some other pilot with local knowledge is any different? I ship my stuff to Papa Bear and all they do is provide an airplane and local knowledge of moose location. I pretty much know roughly where I'll be, they just pick an exact spot. And I have ZERO headaches on each end of the hunt dealing with logistical nightmares and the stress associated with bush AK. If I want to go to a particular lake or river that I've researched a ton I can, but I guess I'd rather them just put me where they've been seeing moose. Not much different in their knowledge of the area compared to someone else's that I find randomly on the internet (except it's probably way better). Papa Bear and Renfro's prices are pretty much aligned with the other transporters that I know in the general area.

I'd call around about the rivers just to feel out each transporter. It's likely that other transporters are either already dropping a couple groups a year on them or there may be a good reason they're not (available drop/pickup areas, tendency for river to plug, moose density, etc.).

I know guys that have shipped inflatable boats with motors to the villages and been successful going that route too. Just run up tribs of the Yukon of Kusko. I don't know if that headache would be worth the cost savings. Especially be mindful of native land if going this route.

Huge kudos for doing your own research and wanting to do your own research. Most people just come looking for the sauce. Sift through the list above, that's how I've found a couple transporters I've used that I'd use again and I've never seen either of their names on any forum (not for hunting moose in 18). There are always new guys popping up and if you can get a good read on them, it's great to get in early with them and potentially have a lasting relationship to do more trips! People that make it far in business don't forget the early days and early clients.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, just providing perspective. best of luck

Last edited:
OP
T

Thomas11

WKR
Start typing "name of nearby village transporters" into Google. You can also start sifting through 58 pages of transporters on here: https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/cbp/main/Search/Professional

I guess I don't understand how the places in Bethel aren't true DIY or how hiring some other pilot with local knowledge is any different? I ship my stuff to Papa Bear and all they do is provide an airplane and local knowledge of moose location. I pretty much know roughly where I'll be, they just pick an exact spot. And I have ZERO headaches on each end of the hunt dealing with logistical nightmares and the stress associated with bush AK. If I want to go to a particular lake or river that I've researched a ton I can, but I guess I'd rather them just put me where they've been seeing moose. Not much different in their knowledge of the area compared to someone else's that I find randomly on the internet (except it's probably way better). Papa Bear and Renfro's prices are pretty much aligned with the other transporters that I know in the general area.

I'd call around about the rivers just to feel out each transporter. It's likely that other transporters are either already dropping a couple groups a year on them or there may be a good reason they're not (available drop/pickup areas, tendency for river to plug, moose density, etc.).

I know guys that have shipped inflatable boats with motors to the villages and been successful going that route too. Just run up tribs of the Yukon of Kusko. I don't know if that headache would be worth the cost savings. Especially be mindful of native land if going this route.

Huge kudos for doing your own research and wanting to do your own research. Most people just come looking for the sauce. Sift through the list above, that's how I've found a couple transporters I've used that I'd use again and I've never seen either of their names on any forum (not for hunting moose in 18). There are always new guys popping up and if you can get a good read on them, it's great to get in early with them and potentially have a lasting relationship to do more trips! People that make it far in business don't forget the early days and early clients.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, just providing perspective. best of luck
No I appreciate the advice! My understanding of renfroes and papa bear is basically they are charging u a flat fee for their locations which is fine. I get that. But 8-10k just to fly in and out of a location that’s no more than a 100 miles seems insane. I was kinda just looking for a air taxi that charges by the hour which would be way cheaper. Idk I like the idea of researching somewhere on my own and then trying to figure out the details vs going to a place they have scoured etc. kinda almost like a guided hunt which there is nothing wrong with. I do understand alaska is way diff than lower 48

r1elkins

FNG
Just an FYI, I used GCA and would highly recommend them. However, I think this was their last year servicing Bethel. I think they are in the process of moving to another part of the state. Remember, these guys are transporters, not guides or outfitters. You are paying them to fly you into moose country, that's it.

If you are thinking of shipping all your food, camping gear, hunting gear, and totes for the meat to Bethel and just paying a transporter to fly you out, do some research on that. It might cost the same as compared to just paying a transporter to provide you with all that, and it'll save you a lot of hassle getting everything to Bethel. We only took our hunting gear, GCA provided the camping gear and food. If you do the math, I think you'll find the price they charge is actually quite reasonable. It's every bit of a DIY hunt either way. No one is out there helping you.

r1elkins

FNG
I think the only way to DIY, 100% unassisted, out of Bethel would be to ship all your own equipment in, rent a boat, and drive up river. Unless you are a bush pilot, there really is no way to do it without someone providing transportation services.

I’m assuming you are looking at kusko? Or have you considered the Yukon side of 18?

having lived in 21E which borders 18, the established transporters are the way to go. Otherwise you are depending on someone to maybe show up.

there are also small community politics involved in stepping on the toes of the bigger guys or even the not as established bigger guys. Can you find someone to drop you off? Sure can. They can charge by the hour. $400ish per hour might be what your looking at. It’s been a few years since I priced it.

why have you chosen 18? 18, 19, and 21 are all phenomenal. Each has their own perks.