18 strand vs 20 strand bcy 8125

Playing with longer limbs on my bow, so gonna order a new string. What’s y’all’s thoughts and opinions on going to a 20 strand instead of an 18 that I’ve been shooting, same brand limbs, same weight just mediums instead of shorts. I shoot straight off the fingers no glove or tab (never been able to I’ve tried) would a 20 strand be a little more round and more forgiving off the fingers? Or am I overthinking this and it won’t make a difference either way?

Playing with longer limbs on my bow, so gonna order a new string. What’s y’all’s thoughts and opinions on going to a 20 strand instead of an 18 that I’ve been shooting, same brand limbs, same weight just mediums instead of shorts. I shoot straight off the fingers no glove or tab (never been able to I’ve tried) would a 20 strand be a little more round and more forgiving off the fingers? Or am I overthinking this and it won’t make a difference either way?
It will make a small difference. Not sure if your fingers will notice it. Better ensure that you nocks will still fit. May have to use a thinner serving.

Beendare

WKR
I make my own endless loop strings, my take;

I’ve played with strand count a bunch From 18 down to 8. Why anyone would want to use 18 strands or more is ridiculous to me. It’s literally like using a big manila rope …or driving a 2 1/2 ton truck to and from the grocery store when a car or a pick up truck is fine.
I know 60x does that…makes beefy almost para cord mass produced strings- meh. I did see a little bit of performance loss with 18 strand.

I’ve settled on 12 or 14 strands of 652. I’ve tried to convince myself the skinny strings (10 strands or under) are better. I got more continual stretch with 8 and 10’s…and only 2 fps faster…if at all.

I’ve used; 452, D97, 8125, BCYX, and 652. I like the 652…with bcyx second….but there is not a huge difference between the D7, 8125 and bcyx string materials ( except for 452- zero stretch- probably not good for limbs) ) i do notice a better sound from 652- less sharp and snappy.

I back my servings with 4 to 6 more strands of string (depending on string or serving size) to make my noks fit. Its easy to mock up a string to get the perfect fit And string formula.

I’ve played with strand count a bunch From 18 down to 8. Why anyone would want to use 18 strands or more is ridiculous to me. It’s literally like using a big manila rope …or driving a 2 1/2 ton truck to and from the grocery store when a car or a pick up truck is fine.
I know 60x does that…makes beefy almost para cord mass produced strings- meh. I did see a little bit of performance loss with 18 strand.

I’ve settled on 12 or 14 strands of 652. I’ve tried to convince myself the skinny strings (10 strands or under) are better. I got more continual stretch with 8 and 10’s…and only 2 fps faster…if at all.

I’ve used; 452, D97, 8125, BCYX, and 652. I like the 652…with bcyx second….but there is not a huge difference between the D7, 8125 and bcyx string materials ( except for 452- zero stretch- probably not good for limbs) ) i do notice a better sound from 652- less sharp and snappy.

I back my servings with 4 to 6 more strands of string (depending on string or serving size) to make my noks fit. Its easy to mock up a string to get the perfect fit And string formula.
Good advise here. I've settled on 16 strands of 8160. I also add 4 strands to the loops.

OP
R

I only said 8125 because that’s all I know, I’m still new to this, coming on my 3rd season with the silly stick, just curious if the extra strands will be better off the fingers, I’m still playing with different limb lengths trying to find what feels best to me with a 27 3/4 draw length. I had the idea in my head that more strands would make a more rounded string and that would come off the fingers better, but I’m also shooting a 58” bow so that could also be the cause of the harshness at full draw. Idk I’m still new and playing with this. I appreciate everyone’s feedback on this, be safe and good luck this season🍻

I only said 8125 because that’s all I know, I’m still new to this, coming on my 3rd season with the silly stick, just curious if the extra strands will be better off the fingers, I’m still playing with different limb lengths trying to find what feels best to me with a 27 3/4 draw length. I had the idea in my head that more strands would make a more rounded string and that would come off the fingers better, but I’m also shooting a 58” bow so that could also be the cause of the harshness at full draw. Idk I’m still new and playing with this. I appreciate everyone’s feedback on this, be safe and good luck this season🍻
I'm gonna give some unsolicited advice. If you're still new, and learning, put on a glove or tab and shoot it until you get used to it. My two cents.

I likely should have given my reasons why.
1. You will get a cleaner more consistent release, which will lead to more accuracy.
2. You will be able to hold at full draw longer and not have to worry about pain in your fingers.
3. You will build up calusues the likes of a chain gang has never seen, further impacting your release.
4. You risk longterm nerve damage in your fingers.

OP
R
I'm gonna give some unsolicited advice. If you're still new, and learning, put on a glove or tab and shoot it until you get used to it. My two cents.
I’ve tried both, when I was young I shot with a traditional glove but didn’t like it, I have a yost tab now that I’ve tried a bit, I really just can’t do it, it just feels off to me, granted I have some muffed up hands, they go numb a lot and straight off the string is the only way I can feel/control the release.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, i have tried a larger diameter serving below my nok thinking the larger diameter would give me a Cleaner release . Nope, no difference.

Let me Describe this better; I would tune and get my noks both above and below dead on over my existing serving, then I would serve it again over the existing serving where my tab touches the string. It didn’t make a lick of difference. I do you know one pro that does this.

I like a Cordovan tab. The nerves in my fingers would have been shot without it. I think Nevada is giving you some good advice.

If you don’t want to use a tab or glove, I’ve seen some guys that slide these little silicone wraps ( I don’t know what they are called ) over the string itself, which gives it a softer, feel and much larger diameter where your fingers position.

Wrench

WKR
I make mine with 14 strands of d97 or 652 also. I think 4 more strands would slow me down and I'd have to buy ANOTHER spool of serving. I wouldn't go that many unless I was stuck with dacron.

Beendare

WKR
Thats it…thx NIS

FWIW, Its worth heeding @nevadabugle advice on some type of finger protection.
Many years ago, I was using a very thin tab for awhile and started to notice some numbness in my string hand finger tips…

Oh man did my doc read me the riot act. Thankfully, after rest and a thick tab…the feeling came back. My doc said if it goes on for a long time you can wreck the nerve sheaths ( or something like that) - permanent numbness not to mention arthritis and such.