19 preference points in Colo. Need some help from the Rokslide crew.

So I have 19 pp in Colorado I have been saving these since I was 18 years old. I have always picked up a leftover tag and been able to hunt. The time has come for me to use these for a "once in a lifetime" hunt. I need some help from the Rokslide crew. I have been following some units in North West Colorado (unit 2) but they seem to have slipped in quality deer in the past few years. I have also been looking at high country early rifle. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Are you leaning Rifle, Muzzleloader, or Archery? Kind of depends what you are all wanting to get out of the hunt. Me personally i like early season hunts when they can still be in velvet but im sure many would pick hunting the rut etc... if you are thinking high country tags, maybe you can get an archery tag to use it as a year of scouting to have a real good plan in place if you decide that.

OP
fletcherchip
Definitely looking for a rifle hunt. Either an early high country rifle or 3rd/4th season. I have not yet started hunting with my bow. Just always been a rifle guy. In the next few years I'm going to try

bigmoose

WKR
What are you looking for ? A hunt where you see lots of deer or one where you have a chance a monster and maybe not see so many deer ?

ckleeves

WKR
Personally I wouldn’t use 19 points on any of the high country early rifle tags. The quality in most of them has been going downhill (due to there being too many tags imo). Your point heavy for any of them anyway. Sure you would draw but you are leaving points on the table for a so-so hunt.

Look at the season dates for the next few years and pick your tag. I don’t think there is a tag you can’t draw as long as guys don’t jump in when the season dates get later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fletcherchip
I did RFW with my elk points and had great time and good success (5X5 Bull). I am after a great story and monster deer. I have been hunting since I was 12 in Colorado so quantity of deer is not necessary for me to have a great hunt. As far RFW I have been thinking about it I just felt it would be a little too easy... Not that any hunt has ever been easy. Anyone used their points for a RFW hunt? Was it worth the points?

I also love to see great country and scouting is some of the best times I have while in the mountains. Any place is not off limits.

cnelk

WKR
Fletcherchip

You’re waaaaay beyond the needed PPs for any unit.

Pick one and go have a good time

BH107

FNG
With the major changes to the season dates starting next year I think we’ll see lots of guys cashing in their points while there are still some good deer to hunt.

OP
fletcherchip
I do most of my scouting the year of that hunt. I get down to the details of the deer/elk migration in that area, the ways in and out for me and the deer, and as much time on that ground as possible. I am constantly looking at new areas with an e-scout and maybe a drive by. So while I agree with you that the season date changes might get a different group of hunters to put in for the draw it won't change where the deer are and how I'm going to hunt them. With 19 points I am confident that I can get into a good/great unit. I don't know what that unit is called.

I spent the last few hours putting together a list of units that I can draw for and it is about 20 units long. My original thought for the past few years has been unit 2, 4th season if possible but that has changed because of the deer that haven't been killed in the last couple seasons.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I drew the Pinon Canyon late season hunt two years in a row, and turned the tags back in both years. Otherwise I'd be right up near you in points. But still have no idea where I want to use 16 points. I'll probably apply for another PP this next year. I hate the cold, especially hunting in it, but I'm also not a fan of velvet bucks so I really paint myself into a corner. That's why I have all the points.....LOL.

OP
fletcherchip
I seem to have been on the wrong side of the points creep for my deer for quite a while. I also screwed up a few years back and instead of applying for a PP I put in for a tag I could have drawn during the leftover list. So didn't get my point for that year. Can you tell me a little about the Pinion Canyon hunt? I love the cold, hell I moved from Denver to Clark and I get tons of snow and cold here.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Can you tell me a little about the Pinion Canyon hunt?

I wish I could tell you about the hunt, but I never went.....both years. One of the biggest problems for me with that hunt is that you have to check in and out every morning and evening to hunt it, and you can't camp on the base. But from what I hear, it's a great hunt. It's Dec 1-14 every year and there are some good bucks down there.

OP
fletcherchip
Forty-four forth season in 2021.
Thanks man, I very much appreciate it. Have you hunted that unit? Looking at the map it definitely covers a lot terrain and elevation. How's the access in 4th season?

If it were me, I'd be looking at a third season tag. Fourth seasons are always very tantilizing, but I like the idea of having a few more days to hunt (especially if I had 19 years into drawing it). In just a five day long 4th season, a big storm could pretty easily blow you out of a good portion of the hunt.

OP
fletcherchip
I like your idea. I live in North Routt County and getting snow at the wrong time really can put a damper on the way you have to hunt. I would like to backpack in as well and 4th season means bringing a lot of gear to stay well... Alive. Any places/unit you can recommend checking out.