Sold 1992 Remington 700 SS Mountain Rifle in .30-06 with Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Remington introduced the stainless synthetic 700 Mountain Rifle in 1993. Some of the rifles introduced actually had 1992 markings. This is one of them, and it's a very RARE rifle in the Remington line-up. The barrel date code is "OM" for June, 1992 and the date circle molded into the stock also indicates June, 1992 production. The bolt serial number matches the receiver serial number. The stainless steel finish is different that today's bead-blast finish. It has a nice luster to it somewhat similar to the Trinyte coating Remington used later on in the XCR series. The finish is a solid 99%-er with just a few light shiny rub marks on the barrel just above the stock fore-end. The synthetic stock is not the crap installed on todays rifles. The stock weighs 34 ounces and is substantial.

Of great interest to me is the rifle has BDL bottom metal. The stock has not been bedded. Also, the trigger has been replaced with a newer model Remington trigger. The creep is almost non-existent but the pull weight is heavier than I like. I'm guessing this trigger may have been improved by a 'smith.

The 22" barrel is the super-slim mountain profile with .530" muzzle diameter. The bore looks very crisp. Total weight is 6 lbs 7.3 oz. LOP is 13-3/8". The stock has a couple of scratches near the butt sling swivel stud, most like caused by a sling swivel. It's as-new otherwise.

This would make a great lightweight mountain rifle as is, but would be awesome if it was dropped in a McMillan Hunter Edge stock. You would have a sub-6 pound rifle. I realize the .30-06 caliber is not the sexiest caliber out there, but it's tried and true. And with a mfg date in 1992, you are getting Remington quality at the height of their history. The action is smooth as silk. There are no disappointments with this rifle.

$1,095 shipped. I have another rifle that needs a scope, so I would have interest in trading for a quality scope and can add cash. 30mm main tube is a requirement. And I prefer an illuminated center dot reticle. This ships to your FFL from an individual with my DL enclosed. Drop me a PM if I can answer any questions for you. I have 30-or-so photos showing every angle. Thanks for looking and good shooting!

Keith

IMG_3220.jpgIMG_3228.jpgIMG_3136.jpgIMG_3236.jpgIMG_3225.jpgIMG_3234.jpgIMG_3239.jpgIMG_3221.jpgIMG_3223.jpgIMG_3224.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Sweet rifle, good luck with the sale. My old lady would come unglued if I bought another lol!

Tightwad

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice rifle.

Simply out of my curiosity, did you replace the bolt or know first hand that it was replaced? I have a 1997ish 700 SS-DBM that came with the jeweled bolt just as your rifle has. Yours looks original to me.

OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I can't tell you with 100% certainty if it was replaced or jeweled. I know for a fact that the Mountain Rifle was introduced in 1993 with a non-jeweled bolt. And the jeweling on this bolt is an exact match to my other two 700's. I'm putting money on it being replaced. Perhaps a previous owner sent the original bolt off for spiral fluting and put the jeweled bolt from one of his other 700 LA's in this rifle. At $300-500 each, I can't imagine they bought a new bolt assembly for it. Regardless, it looks a lot better than it's siblings delivered in 1993.

See explanation below. The bolt is ORIGINAL to this rifle. The serial numbers match.

$1,025 takes it home.

Keith

Last edited:
OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
$1,000 shipped. I mis-spoke in the original listing. The bolt on this rifle has NOT been replaced. It is the original bolt. The serial number on the bolt matches the receiver serial number. I was a dumba$$ for not looking in the first place. So now I'm wondering if this was a prototype rifle built in 1992 to demonstrate what a stainless synthetic could look like? We know the rifle was introduced with a smooth bolt and ADL stock, presumably to reduce cost. It has a jeweled bolt and BDL floorplate just like the wood-stocked mountain rifles that were produced prior to 1992. So if you were concerned about the bolt being replaced, it is the original bolt.

Keith

IMG_3287.jpgIMG_3288.jpg

Last edited:
OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
$1,000 shipped. Quality Remington rifle here, built at the pinnacle of Remington quality. Also still entertaining quality riflescope trades.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.